Masculinity and Caliber Choice

bnewt3

Lil-Rokslider
What if the takeaway is that the smallest cartridge that delivers a good bullet to your max intended range above velocity needed for upset gives you the best chance to spot your impact, recover quickly, and put another round or two or three on target when the best plan goes to hell in the real world?

A second bullet beats the heck out of a marginally wider or deeper wound channels in my experience. Conventional wisdom may be that a larger cartridge gives more "room for error," but I think at this point I'd say pretty confidently that fast and accurate follow up shots are far better than bigger bullets when things don't go to plan.
I definitely said that is NOT my approach. Only that I can understand the logic.

It seems like you only read the part you wanted to reply to, not the whole thing. I would ask you to re-read the whole thing and then decide if your reply makes sense.

bnewt3

Lil-Rokslider
I often wonder….

When did “room for error” come into the equation?

Can’t Say it’s ever been part of what I was taught or teach.
error exists in everything. No plan goes exactly perfectly, variables change, we have to adapt (hopefully quickly, accurately, and precisely enough).

eric1115

WKR
I definitely said that is NOT my approach. Only that I can understand the logic.

It seems like you only read the part you wanted to reply to, not the whole thing. I would ask you to re-read the whole thing and then decide if your reply makes sense.

I definitely didn't say that it was your approach. I understand the logic as well, and not so long ago I subscribed to it. I meant that reply as a response to that line of reasoning, not a rebuttal to you personally. My apologies if it came off that way.

bnewt3

Lil-Rokslider
I definitely didn't say that it was your approach. I understand the logic as well, and not so long ago I subscribed to it. I meant that reply as a response to that line of reasoning, not a rebuttal to you personally. My apologies if it came off that way.
Understood, Im with you now.

bnewt3

Lil-Rokslider
Can’t say Iv ever witnessed it personally in taking an animal. But, I guess it does somewhere.
To which I would say that you aren't aware of them, but they still exist. It may be the kinds of things that you don't ever consciously think about, but your brain is still processing them.

How much does that How Mini in 6mm ARC weigh before optics mounted? Looking for another Ultralight setup, and this 6mm ARC... and it's ability to also fit in AR-15 uppers, is definitely raising my eyebrow!

Only weighed it with optic mounted and it’s right at 8lbs with my stock set up.

MEdude

Lil-Rokslider
How much does that How Mini in 6mm ARC weigh before optics mounted? Looking for another Ultralight setup, and this 6mm ARC... and it's ability to also fit in AR-15 uppers, is definitely raising my eyebrow!
I have the Howa Mini in .223 with a 22” barrel and CF stock. Weighs 5lb - 4oz before optics. Can’t believe a 6 ARC would be much different if set up the same.

mitchellmountain

Lil-Rokslider
Went through a big bore phase, and I have to say it puts a whitetail down with more authority than the 223, but not that much. My two favorites for the last few years has been a 308 and a 284win. Both have plenty of power for whitetails with the 284 adding some reach for longer shots. I took them both hunting elk this year and never felt undergunned.