Masculinity and Caliber Choice

Thegman

WKR
I dunno, the Abrams is still largely targeting a point target, which increases the likelihood of a miss.

I think you’re better served with a well trained 120mm mortar crew, so you can just blanket the entire hillside.
Good point. AND, those guys can still get a hit on the other side of the ridge so there's not so much rushing involved. Call it in, fire for effect. (Now I think I'm confusing artillery lingo with mortar man speak).

jfk69

Lil-Rokslider
I’m the king of boring and/or obscure cartridges. Only magnum in my safe is the 7mm Remington, and it’s probably the “wimp” of magnum calibers.

IDVortex

WKR
I dunno, the Abrams is still largely targeting a point target, which increases the likelihood of a miss.

I think you’re better served with a well trained 120mm mortar crew, so you can just blanket the entire hillside.
I never thought of that actually. That would be much much more ethical.

Though, we could all just become pilots and use a A10. Enough firepower and different kinds of firepower so even if the elk are using a new style of ballistics Armour we can still kill them dead, and I mean deader then dead.

Gorp2007

WKR
Though, we could all just become pilots and use a A10. Enough firepower and different kinds of firepower so even if the elk are using a new style of ballistics Armour we can still kill them dead, and I mean deader then dead.

Eventually the elk are going to get fed up with getting shot in the ass by jokers chasing antlers, at which point they’ll start cruising the mountains in heavily modified Komatsu D355As.

At that point, the A-10 will be our only hope.

texag10

WKR
I simply encourage people to use common sense and critical thinking - I don’t mind passing on what I’ve experienced or learned along the way - if someone chooses to ignore it that’s fine with me. It’s been a long time since I felt the need to somehow “prove” anything to anyone. Likewise if I find someone a credible source of information, I’ve never asked them to prove it to me. “Mr. Gunsmith could you please prove to me that your technique is good?” Lol

If you live life based only on what people are willing to prove to you, that’s a hard row to hoe.
How do you find them a credible source of information with no demonstrated validity of their information?

atmat

WKR
How do you find them a credible source of information with no demonstrated validity of their information?
Well, you listen here, sonny. Let me tell you about growing up in rural Wyoming. Back then, trust was earned. You’d ride your cart and buggy down to the local woodworker’s home and enjoy fresh mead with him while you built a sturdy relationship through mutual storytelling about rural Wyoming. That’s how you know. Common sense.

How about a drone hanging a hellfire? Over the ridge, over the horizon and services point and area targets?
Or just put a 7mm08 in your gun safe and call it good.

Drenalin

WKR
Well, you listen here, sonny. Let me tell you about growing up in rural Wyoming. Back then, trust was earned. You’d ride your cart and buggy down to the local woodworker’s home and enjoy fresh mead with him while you built a sturdy relationship through mutual storytelling about rural Wyoming. That’s how you know. Common sense.
Sorry @atmat, you can’t pull this off. You haven’t proven to be bereft of the wisdom we usually associate with age.

ElPollo

WKR
He is probably a preteen computer wiz living in his mom’s basement in a large metropolitan area who has never seen a real gun or hunted anything more than a bag of mini snickers on that the Easter bunny scattered around his house but is really enjoying messing with a bunch of old guys on the internet.

ddowning

Lil-Rokslider
Welp, an 8th grader might stop at the numbers and think that the extra 10-ish inches would push you out of the vitals. But in reality you already know the numbers to account for, so your % off actual wind is all that really matters. According to your 20% incorrect wind call, the 77gr would be a little over 5” off at 500y and the PRC would be a little over 3” off. All that hullabaloo over 2”.
Yes!!! Finally someone who gets it. We call wind in mph, then convert it to mils or moa. It takes a shitload of cartridge difference to allow many extra mph error in wind call and still get a vital hit.

Robobiss

FNG
I don’t know why you guys just don’t get it.

IMG_6481.jpeg

yeti12

FNG
It’s shown time and time again that even experienced shooters are often 50% off on tough wind calls - 20% is common on a good day - I grew up in the wind, hunt in the wind, and have been measuring wind in the field since the 1980’s and can’t get closer than 20% - I have yet to meet anyone with an ability to make 10% cold first shot estimates.
50% off isn't a experienced shooter then.

"This experienced racecar driver only crashes leaving the pits 50% of the time"

Mead is nasty.

P