Marlin lever gun toters?

Like M1As....I've gone through cyclical periods of desire for the Marlin 45-70s. I think I've had 3 Guide Guns since they first appeared. I've moved them all. The straight stock/pistol grip kicked my monkey ass worse than any other firearm I've utilized. Don't really need to get too deep into the weeds on 45-70. I know what it does. But with the newer Big Loop levers....and non straight stocks along with what look to be upgraded recoil pads, the super short 16" Dark/Trappers seem to be uber handy. Any real world usage by non YouTube Tools here?

Seem super handy for one handed carry of running game cams, walking dogs, and just F'ing around in big bear country. May have to snag another one. Marlin is suuuuper proud of their stainless. I was able to get wholesale prices on both. The stainless Trapper substantially more $$$

rayporter

WKR
i like my straight stocked guide gun in 45-70. they carry great and fit flat on a saddle, too.

the straight lever dont bother me because i dont put my fingers in the loop. i got in the habit as kid shooting a bb bun of keeping my fingers on the outside of the lever loop to cock the gun quickly.

i have no problem with my fingers outside the loop and hooking my thumb in the loop as i cycle it.

i dont shoot it hot and right now am trying a 250 gr load to lessen the recoil. so far so good.

wyosteve

WKR
I own 2. A Trapper stainless w/ 1.25x4 Leupold. Shoots 1 inch 3 shot groups with Hornaday Leverolution 325 gr. ammo. Used it last month on a Texas hog hunt and it worked great at 167 yds on a 160 lb. pig. My other is the 18.5 inch blue/walnut. It's a take down with the work done by The Arms Room in Trinidad, CO. Has a ghost ring rear sight. Haven't shot that one yet, but plan to take it along in Dec. on another hog hunt for pushing bush. Couple thoughts if you get one. 1) get the safety delete kit, 2) get an aftermarket trigger or work the factory trigger (mine are set at about 3.5 - 4 lbs. Makes a world of difference. 3) if you can afford it, get the action honed/worked to smooth things out a bit.

OP
J
Thoughts on running one with an optic? Kinda takes away the beauty of the short, handy lever gun, or disagree? When you're in the thicker stuff, even making parts of whitetail out of the brush at 50 yards can be tough. Almost think a low power optic a huge asset in those scenarios. But never shot one with an optic and how it changes the feel, cheek weld, and dynamics. THought maybe a RMR type sight in QD levers the Bee's Knees?

If you're looking at new, then it would behoove you to look at henry's 45-70 offerings as well with the pistol grips. IME they're better guns than the new marlins. Marlin seem to have turned things around a bit from 2010ish disaster but they still don't seem to be the marlins from days gone by with JM stamped on them. If buying used, then JM's are difficult to top but new firearms Henry is making one darn fine rifle. The fit/finish seems to consistently be better than what's coming out of marlin these days, Just my $.02

OP
J
This would be a User. I've chased TALO guns before. Not interested. The accuracy and function of the new Marlins is pretty close to stellar. Zero interest in any caliber other than 45/70

Tmac

WKR
I have a Marlin chambered in 444, 1-20 twist barrel, action and trigger job. Ghost ring sights and scout scope pick rail. Cerakoted, straight grip. It’s OK to shoot recoil wise, open sighted it is money to 50-75 yards, then old eyes win. The 2.5x scope on quick detach rings, makes it one of my favorite guns to tote around.

Had mine awhile. 45-70 GS. Leopold FX Scout, XS ghost ring sight , and Wild West big loop lever.

Attachments

• 9B984BA6-B008-4A0F-AA63-78C963E609A7.jpeg
    9B984BA6-B008-4A0F-AA63-78C963E609A7.jpeg
    499.5 KB · Views: 61

rayporter

WKR
optics are mandatory now days. mine shoots pretty much anything but the 325 hor great. stepson has a big loop that is the same. 325 is lousy but the 300 it lights out. neighbor is same with the 300gr.

my 250 gr shoots as good as the 300 gr. gets some inch groups and some inch and half--it might help if i went up from a 1-4x scope but i doubt it.

i cant get any real low speed [ 1100fps] stuff to shoot well. trying cast bullets and trail boss or light loads of 4227 or 4198.

My early 80’s 336 in .35 is my favorite rifle. Short and handy. Decent to hunt with in the woods and pretty fun to just shoot. I added a small red dot so my father can use it too. Old eyes and all...

FLAK

WKR
I have a 1980 1894 in .44 mag.
I've taken Deer, Bobcat and Yotes.
It's got a Williams peep but I now need a scope
as my mid 50's eyes aint as good.

Reactions: FLS
OP
J
My only current lever is a Winchester 1894 Trapper in 45LC. My kid is desperately trying to beat me out of it...hence the desire to get a replacement of sorts. Never used that gun much, as I didn't want to beat it. Hard to find now.

My 1895SBL is one of my favorite guns. It carries a Steiner P4XI 1-4. It's a blast to shoot. Not much of a bean field rifle, but under 100, it's deadly. Even my wife loves shooting it. And it's mighty handy.

Kaleb W

FNG
I love my Marlin 45-70 but I only carry it when I'm hunting moose in the trees, for bear protection, or when I don't really care that much about bring home meat since my shooting range is limited... I shoot it with a peep and I keep myself honest on shooting distance. If I'm hunting open country, which is usually the case in AK, I carry a 300 win mag and call it good. Lever guns are a lot of fun, but not always the most practical weapon choice.