March scopes for hunting

WKR

WKR
March makes two scope models that would be very intriguing options for a lightweight hunting rifle setup...but they both fall short on options.

First is the March FX 1.5-15x42mm with shuriken locks.
24.5 ounces
dual focal plane
Nice and compact,
But...both reticle options absolutely suck and I couldn't abide either....

Next is the March F 3-24x42mm
21.5 ounces
FFP
Some great reticle options
Problem with this one is the windage turret is exposed and doesn't lock...I'm almost tempted to overlook this as I can always just tape the windage turret but would really prefer a cap on there to ensure it doesn't spin on me, especially worried about this with pulling it out of a scabbard. Unless its possible to order this model with exposed elevation and capped windage?? Does anyone know if thats an option?

Anyone here have first hand experience with either of these March scopes? Or March scopes use on a hunting rifle?

I have a FX 4.5-28 on my PRS rifle, and the same model scope on my 300 Norma hunting rifle. I have taken the Norma hunting, but never shot anything with it.

My son has a March 3-24x52mm on his 300WM, and a March 1-4.5 on his 375 Ruger. He has carried both rifles on hunts, but so far has only shot game with the March 1-4.5 / 375 Ruger combo.

The 3-24x52mm has the FML-1 reticle which works quite well for hunting. Its FFP, and on minimum power the reticle looks like a plex crosshair. At higher magnification the reticle shows MIL hash marks. The 1-4.5 is SFP and has the FD-1 reticle which looks very similar to a German No 4 reticle, so works very well for the short range in thick cover that my son uses it in.

None of these rifles have capped windage (the FX 4.5-28 has lockable windage, though I never use it). Neither of us have found this to be an issue.

IMG-0044.jpg

I have no input on the scopes but I do tape my windage with electrical tape when I have an exposed one and it hasn’t done me wrong yet.

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
I've used the 3-24x42 model. I liked the reticle, but yes had the wind turret spin and saw it at the last moment on a shot to correct it.

The parallax is extremely picky. Critical eye relief also I found pretty poor for field shooting. The scope makes hard requirements to be in a good position to get a clear view that in the field is often not possible, especially if you need to move fast to get on a shot.

That last thing is a general complaint on these 8X mag ranges scopes everyone ships now. They are a compromise in terms of low power or high power. They often have a very poor fine reticle at low power, and the reiticle at high power is often too big. I also think this compromises usability again with poor parallax and other issues. Mirage is almost always an issue at higher ranges so mostly the big mag range is not really a benefit.

I think the March scope would be a lot better if they were just doing a 4-5X mag range (same for others). I suspect usability would be a lot better for hunting. As it were, I sold mine and my hunting mate had a similar experience with his 3-24x52 and sold his as well. I consider them good benchrest scopes, but not very good hunting scopes.