Mans best friend - shooting vs euthanasia

My dogs are part of the family. There's no way I could do it myself.
I took my German Shepherd in when she was full of cancer and she got the shot, passed peacefully in my arms. Spread her ashes high on a mountain and shot a nice Mulie the next day that hangs on my wall now. I felt she deserved to know I was with her until the end.

I just asked my wife which way she thought was better. We have a little white dog that maybe has a year or two.

She said a bullet is less stressful than a ride to the vet. Take a walk out in the yard, get a snack of pizza pepperoni, pop when he’s not looking.

I’ve done it both ways and I agree with her.

P

MTtrout

WKR
What we did with our first dog (wife and I) was have someone come to our house to administer the shot. We had her on her bed and the only human food she ever had was a piece of bacon when she was later in life. So we gave her some bacon as she laid there so content with her life as the person put her down. The most beautiful final experience with her I could have. She was cremated and I still have her ashes above my desk. Someday we’ll find the spot to spread them.

If you want to know a little bit more about her… she was a black lab and one hell of a friend. For a lab the funny thing was that she would get scared if she barked so never did and was zero food driven. She had one heck of a nose on her and I shot a hell of a lot of birds under her from ptarmigan, chukar, grouse, snipe, woodcock, and all the waterfowl one would hope for. She was one hell of a backcountry skier and river side companion.

So no I would never do the dirty work myself but our lab that’s 4 now will either have a piece of bacon or maybe some raw elk trims that he enjoys

7mm-08

WKR
Tough duty either way. Like some have said, I don't want my last memory of a loved pet to be him/her hitting the dirt after a bullet passes through their head. The vet visit at home has proved to be a good way to go for our family and one we've been fortunate to have used for all of our departed furry friends. Good luck with your decision and thoughts headed your way on your choice.

SwiftShot

WKR
We have people that come to the house and will do it. I have had to do the long walk when I was younger. If they could not come to the house, I would do it myself. The stress my dog feels at the vet. No way is that how he checks out. His last memory will not be a vets office. I think the techs that come to your home and do it is awesome. They get a snack that makes them sleepy then a little shot of medicine puts them out for good.

B

Brando'

It's weird that there are guys on here trying to posture by saying it's the more intimate and thoughtful way to put down your dog by doing it with a shot to the head. I got my best friend after I got home from deployment. He helped me through some of the toughest struggles of my life. He was with me for a little over 14 years. He was my best friend, my brother, my soul mate. If I could get him back I would trade most the human population of the planet if I had that power. I've seen the elephant, I have trained martial arts since I was a boy, and work a challenging job nowadays. I'm not as tough as roksliders, but I can hold my own. No way could I have done that to him. Never even considered it.

When the time got close we took leave from work and my wife and I packed the kids and other dogs up and drove 4 hours to our family property. It was my friends favorite place. We spoiled him for a few days taking walks on our old trails and letting him swim in the pond. We had friends and family come visit him. Then the vet came and put him to sleep in the front yard while he rested his head in my lap. I cried and cried. I've lost family and friends and never felt that much pain.

I wrapped him in my favorite wool blanket and we dug a hole for him on an oak ridge overlooking the pond. That spring I went back and planted a white oak on top of him. It's been over and year and I still haven't gotten over it.

I realize the relationship we had is not typical. And some tough guys on here will say I'm crazy for going through all that for a dog. Those people could never understand the connection we had.

All that said, I wouldn't change a thing about the way he went out. It was perfect.

I felt I needed to respond to this thread. Some really good responses on here. For those that provided the good responses I say thank you for sharing your experiences. For the OP, my friend was a lot like yours. He traveled more of this country than most Americans have. Sounds like you and Trigger have a good relationship, and I hope you give him the passing that he deserves. Take it from me, make him comfortable and let the vet do their thing. It is the best way to go. Hope this helps. Good luck. And I hope Trigger has a good last few years.

Another veterinarian here. I’ve read through some of these posts and can really appreciate all of the different views.

We are all hunters, otherwise we wouldn’t be on this forum. We will sit in a stand for hours with a full bladder and irritated hemorrhoids just to shoot a deer or a bear. But when we drive home, we will nearly wreck our truck to avoid running over a squirrel.

We have the ability to take life...and respect life…
Most non-hunters do not understand this concept.

From my perspective, every time I shoot a game animal, I feel thankful for the meat and the opportunity. Whether it is to God, or nature, or the animal I do not know.

When I take the life of someone’s pet, I am honored to be of service to the pet, and honored to help it start its next journey on the other side, free of pain and free of stress. But I have to admit, every time I take a pet’s life, a very small piece of my soul goes with it. And when the procedure does not go as good as I hope, a larger piece is compromised.

Shooting your own dog is a form of responsibility I respect. I understand the need to do it yourself, because I put down all of my own animals (with injection). I don’t let anyone else do it. But you have to be prepared for possibly losing a little piece of yourself when you do it. And when you do it with a bullet, your sacrifice may be more than you want to give. As they say in gun safety…you cannot call the bullet back.

Last edited:

49ereric

WKR
Most people probably can’t put there own animal down with a .22 simply cuz they don’t live in the country. I live in the country.

Valsport

WKR
put my old boy down 6 months ago after 14 years, do the right thing by them and suggest not shooting your best bud in the head.

Mosby

WKR
Not a chance in hell I would shoot my dogs in the head or anywhere else. None. Zero.

They deserve better. Take your dog to a vet or have the vet come to your home.

TxxAgg

WKR
Could you imagine this conversation 50 years ago? Dang, people have gotten soft. I don't expect anyone to enjoy it, and grieving is ok, but some of these comments make me think people treat their dogs like actual kids.

Hunters often blame Disney/Bambi for the personification of animals but damned if 3/4 of yall haven't fallen for the same nonsense.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Could you imagine this conversation 50 years ago? Dang, people have gotten soft. I don't expect anyone to enjoy it, and grieving is ok, but some of these comments make me think people treat their dogs like actual kids.

Hunters often blame Disney/Bambi for the personification of animals but damned if 3/4 of yall haven't fallen for the same nonsense.
To fair there wasn't as many options 50 years ago.

I do think your right we pretty much see the dog as part of our family, definitely not on the same level as the kids though.

Last edited:

KurtR

WKR

50 years ago my grandpa had his dog put to sleep by the vet and he was a hard mf who fought in ww2. Helped dig that grave only seen the man cry a few times and that was one of them.

I’ve thought about this before and decided it’s not for me, unless the dog was so old and decrepit that they could barely move. I couldn’t imagine something going wrong with the shot and that poor pooch having to be around for a second shot. As someone said, it’s about the dog, not you. I’d rather the vet put them down (in one complete piece) and I take them to bury them in a spot that means something to me.

frank church guy

Lil-Rokslider
I guess I fall on the soft side. Call me a p*%%#y. My puppy lived 16 years 1 month and 4 days. And she hunted her ass off during life. Her last trip was to South Dakota at 14 1/2 years.

PC090007.JPG
There is no way I could of put a bullet in her head. I was in the room scratching her ears. The vets first shot put her under. Then the vet asked are you ready, and the second shot stopped her heart. That was tough enough. But to shoot my puppy whose loyalty was unconditional, no way. The loyalty of a dog.... You could lock your wife and dog in the trunk of your car for twenty minutes in the heat of summer, and when you open the trunk tell me who is happy to see ya. I guess I am just a wimp though.