Mans best friend - shooting vs euthanasia

I administered the shot for our dog at the vet while my wife was holding him. Don’t know why I did honestly but felt like it was my responsibility somehow. In my opinion it is more peaceful via medication. Heartbreaking both ways.

squirrel

WKR
You dont pay for a dog when you buy the puppy. You pay for the dog when you dig his grave.

I've always done it myself, I felt it was my responsibility. I've never heard known someone who does the deed himself tell another dog man to do it his way.

I have never known someone who takes the dog to the vet for a shot of poison to NOT tell the other that he is doing it all wrong.

KsRancher

WKR
I have no problem doing it myself. I have only taken one to the vet to get put down. And dang, that was tough. We had a little puppy wander up to our house 16yrs ago. He was in bad shape. So we kept him and he turned out to be the best dang dog ever. Never was in a pen or on a chain. And always stayed at home. Wouldn't hurt a flea. The chickens would walk around him eating bugs while he slept. He figured out that they laid delicious eggs. He would go check the the chicken house several times a day for eggs.

When he was 13yrs old we heard him going bonkers on the back patio where he slept. When I opened the door he was wailing and slowly walking around the porch with a skunk clamped down on his back leg. I went and got a gun and finally got them apart and killed the skunk. The dog was sitting there shaking he was so scared. Got the skunk bagged up and taken to the vet the next morning. 1 day later got the results that it had rabies. After talking with the vet we decided it was best to get him put down since there was no question that a rabid animal did for sure bite him.

I had always put animals down myself. But my wife thought and daughter thought since he was such a great dog that he should go to the vet. I agreed, so I took him in. DANG!! That was ROUGH. The vet did a great job. But it's like the dog knew what was happening. He loaded up and rode in the front seat with me and was all good. When I pulled up he didn't want to get out and when he finally did. He tucked his tail and just shook. The whole time walking into the office. My wife says I have no conscious and can be the least compassionate person she knows. BUT, WOW! That pulled at the old heart strings on me pretty bad watching him. I went ahead with it. But I think it would have been easier on him and I if we just would have went for a walk.

EZduzIT

Lil-Rokslider
If I had access to the necessary drugs to put an animal down painlessly and the medical knowledge required to ensure that he doesn't suffer in any way I would administer the shot myself. But I don't, and I'm guessing you don't either. You can act as tough as you want, this isn't about how tough YOU are, it's about the last moments of your dogs life. If you want to risk his last moments being a horror show of seizures and blood and bodily fluids coming out of your animal so that you can show how tough you are....well, that says a lot.
He didn’t say anything close to what you’re claiming lol

Stalker69

WKR
I can not believe you are even considering it ! No way in hell I could shoot my best friend, thought wouldn't even cross my mind. You can sometimes find a vet that will come to your house and do it. Any way you look at it, it sucks though.

maxmfs

FNG
Old Yeller is a work of fiction. I agree with the prior poster who wrote of an act of violence v. an act of compassion and love. When it is time, you and your pup will know. Would you not want to go to their favorite spot, cradle them in your lap, and give them the shot yourself. (Hell, I’m tearing up just writing this.) It’s one thing if things are in extremis, and there is no other option to end their pain, but I don’t think that was the original proposition.

Had my old buddy laid to rest a few weeks back. We hunted together for 9 years before the arthritis and hips forced him out. He made it to 12 and a half before he finally let us know it was time. I called our vet and she and an assistant came out to the farm.

It was a gorgeous bluebird day and we just laid down in the shade in the front yard. I had a frozen rooster from last year I've been using for training my griff, and we played "fetch" for a little while, tossing the bird a few inches in front of him so he could "retrieve" it while laying down, tail wagging like crazy. I wanted him to taste and breathe the intoxicating pheasant scent one last time. Afterwards, he actually got up on his own and said goodbye to my daughters and wife before limping back to lay down with me. I'm not exaggerating when I say how happy he was, and I am certain he knew what was happening and in his own way was thanking us.

The first shot took around 5 minutes for him to quietly and peacefully fall asleep. He was actually snoring as I cradled his head in my arms and lap. The second shot was directly into his heart, and it was over in a few minutes after that. No wincing, no pain, and actually no reaction at all, just my best friend gracefully passing through to the other side.

The ladies brought out a large, plush, canvas mat, and we gently loaded him onto it. The three of us carried him to the pickup with utmost dignity and respect. We laid him down on the back seat of their truck, filled out a little paperwork, I petted him one last time, and they backed out and left. A couple days later we got his ashes in a sealed artisan wood urn, with intricate carvings, along with a couple paw prints in clay. It was a wonderful experience, and I couldn't think of a better send off for him.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Had my old buddy laid to rest a few weeks back. We hunted together for 9 years before the arthritis and hips forced him out. He made it to 12 and a half before he finally let us know it was time. I called our vet and she and an assistant came out to the farm.

It was a gorgeous bluebird day and we just laid down in the shade in the front yard. I had a frozen rooster from last year I've been using for training my griff, and we played "fetch" for a little while, tossing the bird a few inches in front of him so he could "retrieve" it while laying down, tail wagging like crazy. I wanted him to taste and breathe the intoxicating pheasant scent one last time. Afterwards, he actually got up on his own and said goodbye to my daughters and wife before limping back to lay down with me. I'm not exaggerating when I say how happy he was, and I am certain he knew what was happening and in his own way was thanking us.

The first shot took around 5 minutes for him to quietly and peacefully fall asleep. He was actually snoring as I cradled his head in my arms and lap. The second shot was directly into his heart, and it was over in a few minutes after that. No wincing, no pain, and actually no reaction at all, just my best friend gracefully passing through to the other side.

The ladies brought out a large, plush, canvas mat, and we gently loaded him onto it. The three of us carried him to the pickup with utmost dignity and respect. We laid him down on the back seat of their truck, filled out a little paperwork, I petted him one last time, and they backed out and left. A couple days later we got his ashes in a sealed artisan wood urn, with intricate carvings, along with a couple paw prints in clay. It was a wonderful experience, and I couldn't think of a better send off for him.
I need a box of Kleenex. You did right by him. Yes they know when it's their time. I have had to do it way too many times. Very, very sorry. RIP big boy. :(

I personally try to put my pets down the way I would want to be put down - as loving and peaceful as possible. For me, that’s a vet doing it in my home. I believe that’s the most important part, that my animal senses love and compassion on the way out. Whatever you do, try to do right by your animal.

TheGDog

WKR
Yeah.. and even with what your mind knowing it's a peaceful send-off, you still can't help getting choked up about it for bit.

But then in the weeks that come.. you'll find yourself remembering soo much of the cuteness about them and the fun silly things they've done, and ya end up having a bunch of goofy smiles pop up on your face... even in the middle of you mourning about them.

Yeah.. if you have the choice? I'd never opt for dispatching via firearm if I had the choice to do it right with injections. Can't imagine how bad that'd mess ya up inside if a person had to dispatch via firearm up close and personal like you would.

I mean either way you gotta do what ya gotta do... but that one way is just soo much more traumatic. I see zero reasons to do it that way, unless you just don't have access to those services near enough by. Better to do injections if only for your own mental health.

TheGDog

WKR
Hrmm a curious thought just hit my mind. What kinda life-span do you get from your guys "bird-dogs"?

Thought I had because my Rat Terrier made it 15yr. but I seem to recall that like for labs and stuff, it's more like 12-13yr right?

And man.. after my first baby passed.. I learned that Great Danes are only like 7-9yrs!? OMG that's just barely enough time for them to become an integral part of your life just before getting ripped back outta your heart again!

grfox92

WKR
My mother is off the boat from Spain. Her brothers who were born and raised there would never bring a dog to the vet to put it down. It's just part of the culture where they came from and grew up. They love their animals, but they take care of that themselves.

I personally could not do it.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

CobraChicken

Lil-Rokslider
I know guys who shoot their own dogs when old. I have a special bond with both my bird dogs. I owe them some respect. Euthanasia. I see comments on how if they were hit by a car they would put em down; however, I have hunted with a dog who was hit by a car, lost sight in one eye and hobbles now after surgery. Still a great hunter. They don't give up on you, don't give up on them.

Dude, I am crying like a baby reading this. I to had to do this. So sorry for your loss. Hopefully we will see them again.
Thank you and agree. He was the last to go of my group of buddies' "first generation" of bird dogs. We all got different breeds and trained them up. The second generation are up and comers, but you always compare them to the OG dogs. Right now they have enormous shoes to fill.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warlord