Making Your Own Hunting Gear, By Jake Lamphier

Yaada_205

FNG
This is golden! So many times I have thought about making minor modifications to my gear...for instance...

Kuiu's Summit Refuge 3P - the mesh body sags under the rain fly so when I move around in it, guess what's always brushing up against my shoulders and side of my face?!! UGH!

I asked myself why wouldn't they make a minor modification attaching the mesh to the rain fly so the mesh is not sagging!! (This is the only issue I have with this tent)

Then thought to myself - I should just make the modification myself - if I only knew how to sew!

In addition to sewing - I could also use a small welder!!! So many small things I would make and/or fix when it came to hunting and camping gear!

Rackmastr

WKR
That scope cover looked really nice!

I need to look into doing something like that.

Great article!

Such a cool article! Thanks for sharing.

I've been thinking about dipping my toes in and making some simple gear, especially since my wife is already geared up (she makes the occasional quilt and misc projects). I saved the down from my ducks this year with the intent of making a down backpacking pillow. I totally agree the ability to repair and customize anything (not just hunting gear) is a super valuable skill to have.

This couldn’t have come at a better time! I was literally just inquiring about a custom chest rig in hi-viz orange that I could use instead of a surveyor vest for work while being able use it for hunting. I’m inspired, looks like I’ll be swapping something on my Christmas list for a sewing machine! Great article, thanks. Keep the pictures coming everyone

as.ks.ak

WKR
Here’s one of my quick fixes. I HATED the AGC shoulder straps. So I swapped them out for the kuiu harness just by cutting the harness strap and using some webbing, ladder locks, and two sets of buckles with the split bar (for attaching to already sewn loop on bino harness).

Way overdid the stitching, but when you design something for yourself you can over engineering the absolute piss out of it!

351046d473c9cef9cbb5847601e0fcae.jpg

Thanks to Jake’s article it’s relit my fire for making custom mods and gear. I’ll be digging the sewing machine back out and getting my workbench cleared off. Think my first project will be a heavy winter quilt/bag hybrid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

as.ks.ak

WKR
d2bea8a7efdee425b4bd704ea22b2cad.jpg

Thanks for pushing me off the make your own gear ledge Jake! I think this is going to be a fun hobby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a DIYer I always thought about how I would make a product better or just make something I couldn't find. Great read and inspiration!

GusBuss

FNG
Great article. Inspired me to but a cutting wheel and a mat that came in clutch on my last project. also practiced with some DIY pullouts made out of an old tent thanks to this article.

asmxxiv

FNG
Just inherited a sewing machine and shears/supplies, looking forward to starting some small projects this winter

ak_huntr

FNG
Cool website!

I needed a pouch for 3 days of food on an Elk hunt. It worked great. Also made two bright pouches (first aid and kill kit). Super easy to see when going through the pack and I'm less likely to leave it on a mountain.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230127_231154_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230127_231154_Gallery.jpg
    317.1 KB · Views: 46
  • Screenshot_20230127_231124_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230127_231124_Gallery.jpg
    594.9 KB · Views: 46
  • Screenshot_20230127_231018_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230127_231018_Gallery.jpg
    632.6 KB · Views: 46
  • Screenshot_20230127_231011_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230127_231011_Gallery.jpg
    614.1 KB · Views: 47

elkit

FNG
Great article, been thinking about custom pack pouches for a while just not quite sure of the best materials and type of thread for durability.