luxury item- food

littlebuf

Banned
theres a lot of talk about "luxury " items we are willing to pack extra weight for. pillows, stoves, clothes and even optics to a degree but what about food. what food are you willing to pack even though it doesn't make a lick of sense. for me its sour patch kids. sometimes the only pick me up I got is sitting down for a minute with a little bag of sour patch kids. can do wonders for my moral but really gives me nothing I need nutritionally. im thinking about maybe packing some dry salami this year too. I found dry salami nuggets pre packaged and there a little like crack. they however would give me something and meet the 100 cal per once standard that I have for food. so how about you? what's that food that you don't need but gotta have out there? if I could figure out a way to pack cheeseburger's id have it made, I usually want one of those about 20 minutes into the hike in

Lawnboi

WKR
its only wasted weight if it is under 100cal per ounce for me. Otherwise its all calories. I usually bring poptarts. Sometimes ill carry my dragonfly stove so I have can cook pancakes and bacon as well as get a little more fancy with fish or whatever is on the menu for the trip.

bacon, shotblocks to help my caffeine withdrawals, landjaeger if i have time to hit the butcher store, been thinking id like to bring smoked cheese as well

• Banned
OP
littlebuf

littlebuf

Banned
bacon, shotblocks to help my caffeine withdrawals, landjaeger if i have time to hit the butcher store, been thinking id like to bring smoked cheese as well

shot blocks are part of my daily backpacking diet. love those things.

jherald

WKR
Ritter butter biscuits and the cocoa mousse. Talk about a moral booster. Super delicious.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you like shot blocks and sour patch kids try the Stinger fruit energy chews. Pure joy in the backcountry. I a lot a pack a day.

Funny you say that about sour patch kids. I don't eat candy normally & I don't know why but I crave the hell out of those things when I am up there.

I take Backpackers pantry cheesecake and mousse pie. That stuff is amazing, and it meets the 100 cals per ounce. You can also take jello, and other dehydrated sweets to make some great concoctions in the backcountry

Last edited:

rodney482

WKR
+1 for backpackers pantry cheesecake!

Their granola/milk w blueberries is also very good.

mtbshark

WKR
fillthefreazer where do you get your landjaeger at?
I love the landjaeger, when i head east i always stop at owens in cle elum!

Art Vandeley

Lil-Rokslider
I don't have an actual food, but I always pack hot sauce. I like Sriracha or Cholula. It makes mountain house meals way better for me.

Nordic

FNG
A lot of dark chocolate for sure... and some salty licorice...
It feels like I get extra energy from chocolate and the salty licorice is nice when I've been sweating.