Low Volume Boots: what brand/model do you like and why?

OP
F

FLH

Lil-Rokslider
why insulated boots for hiking?
For cold weather hiking, 35 degrees and under, when you have a specific destination and will be inactive at that destination for several hours until it's time to hike out.

For the insulated leather boot to keep you warm at your destination it needs enough insulation in grams, the right socks (I like Darn Tough), and most important, your foot needs a vapor barrier to keep the socks dry.

Wet socks will get as cold as the exterior boot leather. Wet socks have no appreciable insulative quality. Cold, wet socks on your skin will suck the heat out of your foot.

You can spend $40 or so on vapor barrier socks. Or you can put Wonder bread bags (or similar) over your super thin liner socks (Gold Toe over the calf dress socks), and your wool insulative socks over the bread bag.

This system works like a wet suit. The liner sock will get damp to wet, as will your feet. But your feet will be warm.

*zap*

WKR
I wear non insulated boots and then put on dry socks (if socks are wet) and my boot blankets. Good boot blankets are very warm. (icebreakers)

OP
F

FLH

Lil-Rokslider
I wear non insulated boots and then put on dry socks (if socks are wet) and my boot blankets. Good boot blankets are very warm. (icebreakers)
That'll work, too. I also carry extra socks, just in case.

Since winter hiking requires carrying a lot of "stuff" for use at the destination (puffy pants, puffy jacket, stove, fuel, extra gloves, insulated mug, etc) I don't want to carry any more than I have to. I'm starting to have trouble just carrying myself up the hill!