Low power binos

KY_coop

Lil-Rokslider
I've been staying in some pretty thick woods this season white tail hunting in Kentucky. I find that my 8 power are sometimes to much for where I'm at. I figure some lower power binos would help with field of view, light gathering, etc. Was looking at the kowa bd-II 6.5x32's to add for when I hunt this type of terrain. Any one have a review or reccomendation on these binos or similar?

fwafwow

WKR
I have those Kowas and like them for the same need you are trying to address. I have a pair of Swaro 8x42 ELs. I’ve never compared them directly and while I don’t think the Kowa are on the same level, I don’t find anything seriously lacking when using the Kowas.

philos

Super Southern Moderator
Staff member
I have the Kowas and I am very happy with them. I use them here on South Carolina and they have performed quite well for me. I have not looked through the 6 power Mavens but I would be shocked in they are noticeably better than the Kowas. Camera Land NY has the Kowas for $329 now-about $200.00 less than the Mavens.

BLJ

WKR
I’ve got some Leupold Yosemite 6x30 and they do really well in the eastern hardwoods. More than pleased with them. But, they’re no longer in production.
Allegedly the Kowa YF II 6x30 are very close to the Leupold’s. If they are, I would recommend them for $100 if shopping new.
Cameraland shows them in stock.

Blue72

WKR
I have the Kowa 6.5 x32 and the maven 6x30

both are great but the Kowa are better. They are sharper, less Eye fatigue, do better in low light situations, wider field of view etc…

the only benefit of the maven 6x30 is a warmer color saturation (if that’s your thing), better outer edge quality, smaller form factor

01866B19-6470-4F16-AA0D-7C63C7AAFD0A.jpeg

Last edited:

Dented

WKR
I've got the Maven 6x30, but based upon Blue's comment I'd be taking a good look at those Kowa's. I like my Maven's, but I'd like the cost of those Kowa even better.

has530

Lil-Rokslider
The mavens are nice (and I think MIJ vs MIC for the kowa) but the FOV of 8.5 degrees is a little lacking for me (afov around 50 degrees). The kowa on the other hand has a whopping 10 degrees which is so nice for finding your target in dense terrain.

OspreyZB

Lil-Rokslider
APM 6x30 is another good option. 9.3 degree FOV, and the porro prisms will provide better light transmission, and a more 3D image than the SP prisms in the kowas or mavens.

Blue72

WKR
APM 6x30 is another good option. 9.3 degree FOV, and the porro prisms will provide better light transmission, and a more 3D image than the SP prisms in the kowas or mavens.

I haven’t tried the APM, but I own other porro prism 6-7x binoculars and they can’t compete with the Kowa for light transmission.

I can see the North American nebula with my Kowa in light polluted sky which I can’t see at all in my porro

the Kowa are popular for a reason

Margoot

FNG
I had a pair of 4X Bushnell. Used them on the train to see the signals during daylight. They cut the glare very well. I lost them and havn't replaced them. Mabey Bushnell still makes them. They were not the highest quality, but worked well while moving, because of the lower power.

I've got the Maven 6x30, but based upon Blue's comment I'd be taking a good look at those Kowa's. I like my Maven's, but I'd like the cost of those Kowa even better.
Love my Kowa's. I put away the Swaro 8 and 10 power after elk andantelope. Once I get in a whitetail stand I like the steadiness and light gathering of low power binos.

Buddha

FNG
Have kowa 6.5x32. Love them for general use. Always in my pack when not hunting. Been in for repair once and need to go in again. My brother has the mavens. Like kowa better.

A little late to the party... Considering low power compacts from Maven and Kowa. Wondering how Kowa customer service treated you?

Buddha

FNG
Kowa balked when I sent them in for repair again, after they paid the first time. We had a converation and they footed the bill.

So... Is the reason you requested warranty repair, either time, due to shoddy craftmanship or? Would you recommend the Kowa binos?

Buddha

FNG
they are not genisis quality. wish they were. I am very rough on them. they float around in my daypack or truck uncased, so that is probably why they go in. I really like them and will by another pair if necessary. love the size, view, weight. a little bigger and way more expensive but very nice: zeiss 8x40 sfl. am a lot more careful w those and keep them for hunting.