Spotting scope questions (higher end)

Sled

WKR
I'm looking for some advice on a spotting scope that will suit my needs. I have a difficult time staying behind high power binos so I've sold most of them and opt for the spotting scope for distances of 1000 yd plus. I am not counting tines but rather identifying animals bedded in shaded areas typically or watching herds chew their cud. I value field of view and clarity over higher magnification so I'm thinking a wide eyepiece would suit me. The typical 20-60x spotters I've used before are the bare minimum FOV I can stand at 20x. I'm considering the 65 mm angled swaro with either a 30x fixed or a 25-50 wide. Having never looked through a wide-angled eyepiece I'm unsure if this would suit my needs. Any thoughts on this or another scope you would recommend?

Are the kowa spotters worth a look?

Last edited:

Geologist

FNG
Have you been using the binos on a tripod, and have they been Tier 1 glass? Both will greatly help with eye fatigue.

The Swaro 25-50 wide eyepiece may help (depending on what quality of binos you have been using), but I don't think you will find a spotter to be "easier on the eyes" than Tier 1 binos on a tripod if you are spending hours searching for game.

Good luck!

OP
Sled

Sled

WKR
Have you been using the binos on a tripod, and have they been Tier 1 glass? Both will greatly help with eye fatigue.

The Swaro 25-50 wide eyepiece may help (depending on what quality of binos you have been using), but I don't think you will find a spotter to be "easier on the eyes" than Tier 1 binos on a tripod if you are spending hours searching for game.

Good luck!
I've used my bino on tripods and window mounts but I'm left eye dominant, right side everything else and my right eye gets weak. When using binos I find most of the time I'm better off closing one eye. I have maven 15x b5/ 8x b3, tract 10x42, SLC 10x42 and NL 8x32 still. Like the mag of the 15x but they're cumbersome to carry around so I opt for my smaller pairs for chest packs and often drag along the vortex 11-33 razor for checking out unknown shapes. On the tripod or car window I have an older vortex viper HD in the 20-60x80 that is nice at 20x and not worth it's weight above 30x. The FOV is tight on both spotters. Right now I'm working around baggs, wy on the Colorado side and having a great time watching game. Too busy to hunt at home in Utah until November but I'd like to pick up a scope before then while I can.

golfbum

WKR
I've used my bino on tripods and window mounts but I'm left eye dominant, right side everything else and my right eye gets weak. When using binos I find most of the time I'm better off closing one eye. I have maven 15x b5/ 8x b3, tract 10x42, SLC 10x42 and NL 8x32 still. Like the mag of the 15x but they're cumbersome to carry around so I opt for my smaller pairs for chest packs and often drag along the vortex 11-33 razor for checking out unknown shapes. On the tripod or car window I have an older vortex viper HD in the 20-60x80 that is nice at 20x and not worth it's weight above 30x. The FOV is tight on both spotters. Right now I'm working around baggs, wy on the Colorado side and having a great time watching game. Too busy to hunt at home in Utah until November but I'd like to pick up a scope before then while I can.
I have a Leica apo 65 (25/50wa) that has about as wide fov as I have found on a 65mm spotter.

Im in salt lake area if you want to come check it out (or buy it).

OP
Sled

Sled

WKR
I have a Leica apo 65 (25/50wa) that has about as wide fov as I have found on a 65mm spotter.

Im in salt lake area if you want to come check it out (or buy it).
I might be. I'm home for the weekend. I'll pm you.