Trying to decide between these 3 rifles...

I've been trying to get into mid range hunting rifles (I have a mossberg patriot predator right now)... I've read so many reviews for every amazing review there is a terrible one.
I've landed on a 6.5 CM (yes I know there are probably better options out there but want to stay with the Creed, I have 200$ worth of 6.5 ammo haha)
Any rifle owners out there have any advice? It's mainly for white tail deer out to 300-400 yards (field/power lines) but probably out to 150 yards in GA woods.
The 3 options I narrowed it down to...
* Weatherby Vanguard Talus 6.5 CM threaded
* Tika T3x Lite 6.5 CM
* CVA Cascade 6.5 CM (was looking at the XT but it doesn't come in CM but PRC)

If you think that there is absolutely another 6.5 cm rifle I need to look at, by all means. But looking for some folks who own these to tell me what they think. In advance, thanks

geterdone

FNG
Tikka followed by the vanguard. I have a vanguard in 6.5prc that is a tack driver, but I still prefer the tikka. Tikka has a little more aftermarket options available also if you want to upgrade.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

sndmn11

WKR
The only vanguard I'd get is the cheapest one and then put it in a @Stockys VG, or the Talon checks all MY boxes. We have four Vanguards, and that's what gets hunted with.

The Tikka is probably the better choice overall. We have one with a few barrels and it plays at the range.

Wyo_hntr

WKR
Tikka

And to be more precise, you'll kill stuff with all three, however the tikka is better in quality than all three and it has an aftermarket.

Last edited:

grfox92

WKR
$200 worth of ammo is not something that should decide the caliber for a rifle purchase. You should be shooting 5 to 10x that amount of ammo during the off season to be a proficient rifleman.

Edit, out of the rifles yoy mentioned, you want the Tikka, followed by the Weatherby. The 6.5 is an ideal caliber for what you are describing as your rifles intended use.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

pirogue

WKR
I have a Tikka T3xLite in .243, and a Weatherby Vanguard wood stock ..270, bought about 1979. Both I’d use for deer, but agree with the above, sell your ammo.

BrentH

WKR
$200 worth of ammo is not something that should decide the caliber for a rifle purchase. You should be shooting 5 to 10x that amount of ammo during the off season to be a proficient rifleman.

Edit, out of the rifles yoy mentioned, you want the Tikka, followed by the Weatherby. The 6.5 is an ideal caliber for what you are describing as your rifles intended use.

I don’t necessarily disagree with the first part, but you think you need to shoot 500-1000 rounds in the off-season to be proficient?

grfox92

WKR
I don’t necessarily disagree with the first part, but you think you need to shoot 500-1000 rounds in the off-season to be proficient?
Absolutely. Good habits don't come from going to the range 2 or 3 times a year to make sure your gun is still zeroed. I personally intend on shooting at a minimum 2000 rounds before next October.

OP
polishmanmike
Tikka followed by the vanguard. I have a vanguard in 6.5prc that is a tack driver, but I still prefer the tikka. Tikka has a little more aftermarket options available also if you want to upgrade.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
Thank you!
Yeah I actually thought at first I'd get the Weatherby Talus in a PRC but then for what I need... May be an overkill.

OP
polishmanmike
Who the heck buys CVA bolt action rifles??? lol.
I've heard CVA is breaking into the bolt action market, they use Bergara barrels, and overall I haven't heard a bad review on them... Hands down cheapest out of all the 3. Comes with a ceracoat (I believe) and a threaded barrel. What's there not to like?