Lost hunter out of Seven Devils Area,Riggins Idaho.

rclouse79

WKR
I was walking on a log over an overgrown creek bed and the thought crossed my mind that if I slipped and broke my neck, they would never find my body. Glad they found him.

Just curious. For those of you who venture into back country, usually alone ( more guts than I’ve ever had! ), do you carry some sort of pyrotechnic signaling device?

P Carter

WKR
He just didn't make it to a predetermined meet up, but sounds like he was alright.

Reminds me of when I was an hour late and had 47 missed calls.
Right? I have to leave at least three separate times: when I anticipate being back (at least a few hrs passing); when I could be back by if something unexpected happens…ok to be nervous but do not freak out (1/2 day); and a “do not call anyone until this time passes” (usually 1 day). Backcountry time is different than front country time.

Reactions: N8H
Just curious. For those of you who venture into back country, usually alone ( more guts than I’ve ever had! ), do you carry some sort of pyrotechnic signaling device?

And light half the west on the fire? Ha

Garmin inreach

I also carry a storm whistle in the emergency kit.

N8H

FNG
I wouldn't say I'm really in "backcountry", but I have a satellite communicator which I think is a must, regardless of where you are. Gives my wife and I a lot of peace of mind. I should get a whistle and signal mirror though, especially since both are small and cheap.

Runwilderness

Lil-Rokslider
And light half the west on the fire? Ha

Garmin inreach

I also carry a storm whistle in the emergency kit.
Yep. Whenever I see smoke on a lightning free day I think “a—hole idiot camper” not “I need to start a rescue!” A whistle, I’d go investigate. But a BOOM…that just makes me think about being a crappy hunter compared to whoever just punched their tag.