Looking for some caliber advice for elk

Watrdawg

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 6.5PRC, 7PRC and also a 300WM. The 7PRC will do everything the 300WM will with the same weight bullets and more. I've decided to keep the 7PRC as my all around rifle and sell the 300WM. When I look at the ballistics and compare the 7PRC to the 300WM the PRC starts surpassing the WM at the longer ranges.

OP
C

cpalm9

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 6.5PRC, 7PRC and also a 300WM. The 7PRC will do everything the 300WM will with the same weight bullets and more. I've decided to keep the 7PRC as my all around rifle and sell the 300WM. When I look at the ballistics and compare the 7PRC to the 300WM the PRC starts surpassing the WM at the longer ranges.
What’s the recoil like?

rkcdvm

Lil-Rokslider
Honestly everything you put down will do a good job. .308 isn’t going anywhere.
I hunted with a 300wm for awhile and it worked well. After that I hunted with a 28 nosler and that was devastating on the one I shot with it . Then the ammo stopped being produced during Covid so I switched to a 7-08 (it was pleasant to shoot). I never killed an elk with that rifle but my buddy borrowed it and harvested two elk with it and it did great. I think one he hit around 200 yards and the other was in the 500 range . 🤷‍♂️
The 300wm and the 7-08 were production rifles and the 28 nosler was a fierce when they were still made in Canada .
So many good options these days it’s like going into Baskin Robins and saying what’s the best ice cream flavor .
Whatever you choose will likely be a good option.

hiker270

WKR
Next rifle purchase I am considering is a 6.5 PRC. Checking ammo availability on Ammoseek shows over 500 retailers with 6.5 PRC ammo available. So I would believe ammo manufacturers are on board with the 6.5 PRC. Obviously if you reload its not a concern on factory ammo availability.

You'll get a lot of people telling you that you need a minimum cartridge....but typically that advice comes from poor hits or lack of experience.

The truth is you can kill elk farther than you will believe with nearly any headstamp. Bullet vs velocity is a more important study imo.

Between the 308 and the prc, you could afford to be an experienced rifleman by shooting 4x as much for even money and never wear your gun out doing it.

Buying a rifle that costs $5 bux a round typically means you're not going to shoot as much.

Food for thought.

$5/rd? There is a fair bit of 7 PRC available for closer to $2/round.

Dont disagree at all that a guy who shoots 500+ rounds of 308 with intentional practice annually is in a better spot than a guy with a PRC who doesn't but there's still the question of whether the guy will actually do the practice..

OP
C

cpalm9

Lil-Rokslider
$5/rd? There is a fair bit of 7 PRC available for closer to $2/round.

Dont disagree at all that a guy who shoots 500+ rounds of 308 with intentional practice annually is in a better spot than a guy with a PRC who doesn't but there's still the question of whether the guy will actually do the practice..
To be frank, I won't shoot 500 rounds a year in any gun I own. I try to shoot my guns as often as I can to feel comfortable taking game. I try to describe it as "I shoot so that I can hunt" more than just for fun.

Of course, that could always change especially since my hunting buddies are getting more into PRS styles of shooting during the off-season.

When I look at the ballistics and compare the 7PRC to the 300WM the PRC starts surpassing the WM at the longer ranges.
Only if you are talking about factory ammo.

If you look at the 300wm with 215-230 class bullets and a chamber designed to shoot the heavies, it could almost keep up with a 338 lapua for a bit and will probably put the 7prc to bed (have not verified this on calculations though). Check out some ballistic calculations on those bad boys.

If you look at the 300wm with 215-230 class bullets and a chamber designed to shoot the heavies, it could almost keep up with a 338 lapua for a bit and will probably put the 7prc to bed (have not verified this on calculations though). Check out some ballistic calculations on those bad boys.

I have such a custom 300WM and it wont "put the 7 PRC to bed". Hand loaded to hand loaded they are close, not really a discernable difference in drop/deflection IMO. A 300 WM is going to push a 215 berger about the same speeds as a 7 PRC pushes the 180 class bullets which are coincidentally in the same BC ballpark. A 180 ELDm has a little higher BC than a 215 berger and about the same as a 225 ELDm (which likely cant be pushed to the same speeds at equal pressures as 180 eld in a 7prc).

Last edited:
I have such a custom 300WM and it wont "put the 7 PRC to bed". Hand loaded to hand loaded they are close, not really a discernable difference in drop/deflection IMO. A 300 WM is going to push a 215 berger about the same speeds as a 7 PRC pushes the 180 class bullets which are coincidentally in the same BC ballpark. A 180 ELDm has a little higher BC than a 215 berger and about the same as a 225 ELDm (which likely cant be pushed to the same speeds at equal pressures as 180 eld in a 7prc).
What chamber did you use in your build? Im honestly not a 7mm fan for the most part so I have not looked in depth at the 7prc ballistics and would have to defer to your experience with both cartridges. My 300 was a freaking hammer and performed very well out to 1200 with the 230s. I had the Mk248 Mod 1 chamber in mine though.

Custom work and handloads don't count. You could make the same argument about a max charge 30-06AI with a custom throat and fast twist being able to compete with a SAAMI 300WM.

What chamber did you use in your build? Im honestly not a 7mm fan for the most part so I have not looked in depth at the 7prc ballistics and would have to defer to your experience with both cartridges. My 300 was a freaking hammer and performed very well out to 1200 with the 230s. I had the Mk248 Mod 1 chamber in mine though.

I'm not sure exactly which reamer it is, had around 0.200" freebore IIRC. 215 bergers are over 3.7" COAL to touch. Shoots great, just doesn't do anything in drop/drift perspective that a 7 PRC couldn't match.

You could make the same argument about a max charge 30-06AI with a custom throat and fast twist being able to compete with a SAAMI 300WM.
Also true. I was just illustrating that factory ammo is, IMO, often times not what most guys are shooting on these types of forums.

As for the OP yes factory ammo is a big consideration since he doesn't reload.

Wrench

WKR
I have a 300win that shoots the 225. While it's not faster than some it'll make hits waaaaay beyond what you will believe on the internet.

Sevens

WKR
What’s the recoil like? I know the 7 RM is more than manageable but certainly more than a 308. I suspect a suppressed 7 PRC is pleasant to shoot?
Can actually give you a pretty solid comparison to a 308 as I also have a 20” 308 that is suppressed. Both rifles are more or less identical (same stock, action, scope, rings, CF barrels, etc.).

Recoil of the 7PRC suppressed is not too bad, you’re aware of it, but the suppressor helps significantly. The 308 is even more friendly to shoot and is where I would want to spend my time behind if shooting a lot (and is, for that matter). With that said, had both at the range this past weekend and it was extremely windy. If I had to make a long shot in that wind, the 7PRC is more forgiving of bad wind calls.

Not advocating the 7PRC as an excuse for poor wind calls, though.

OP
C

cpalm9

Lil-Rokslider
Can actually give you a pretty solid comparison to a 308 as I also have a 20” 308 that is suppressed. Both rifles are more or less identical (same stock, action, scope, rings, CF barrels, etc.).

Recoil of the 7PRC suppressed is not too bad, you’re aware of it, but the suppressor helps significantly. The 308 is even more friendly to shoot and is where I would want to spend my time behind if shooting a lot (and is, for that matter). With that said, had both at the range this past weekend and it was extremely windy. If I had to make a long shot in that wind, the 7PRC is more forgiving of bad wind calls.

Not advocating the 7PRC as an excuse for poor wind calls, though.
Thanks for the comparison. I'm probably going to hold off until the new year to buy and check 7 PRC ammo availability both during the Montana general season and after.

I'm definitely leaning towards the Bergara Crest in either 308 or 7 PRC. Seems like an excellent rifle and I'm not an oz-counting guy for hunting in the mountains so I'm not too concerned about Bergara's being a tad "heavy"

BrBa

Lil-Rokslider
"I don't reload (at least not yet) so ammo is certainly a consideration."

It's intimidating to get started if you don't have anyone to guide you, but the truth is anyone can do it. So glad I finally made the jump. There are a lot of cool cartridges I never would have considered if I had to rely on factory ammo.