looking for a new release

eagle#eyes

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking to upgrade my release. I've been able to shoot the Spot Hogg Wise Guy which most the guys at my local archery shop shoot and prefer. I was also looking at the Tru-Fire Hardcore Max. The Wise Guy had no creep in the trigger but it seemed super light, I know the Hardcore Max has an adjustable trigger but I'm not sure about the Wise Guy. Has anyone had any problems with either, the light trigger or the adjustable? Are there any other releases I should be looking at? What are the pro's and cons?

Thanks.

I tried the Wise Guy and did not like it due to the angle the rigid connection held the release head at while I was at full draw. I did not realize they offered a nylon webbing connection from the wrist to the head with the leather buckle or I would have gotten that. I ended up choosing the Carter Quickie which I really like. I do believe the Wise Guy has an adjustable trigger. I shot a Hardcore Max for awhile because I really like the Trufire Edge which has a continuous trigger. I sold the Max because I couldn't adjust the head short enough to feel like I could squeeze the trigger at my first knuckle instead all I could do is hit it with my fingertip and I have big hands. Scott makes some good releases too I just prefer a little bit of a curved trigger for feel instead of a knurled bar.

Graindrain

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Scott Exxus, you can "customize" the position of the trigger, weight, travel of trigger and tension in every angle. Comes with three springs to change the tension.(light, medium, heavy and set different weights within those as well just by screwing less or more)

I prefer a heavy pull but no travel and with this release I can get everything I want.

Only con, is you have to carry these types of release, no wrist strap. I can already see it falling out of my pocket or me forgetting it in the truck.

dmjojump

FNG
I went with a hot shot release this time. I shot a few different ones, can't remember the names of them all. I was a big fan of tru ball, but none of the new ones felt right. The hot shot has an adjustable trigger, worth a look in my opinion.

mk_v

WKR
I have the hardcore and really like mine. Haven't had any problems at all. I also use the carter whisper and that's what Ive hunted with for the last two years. I much prefer the carter whisper over wrist releases. My dad has the wise guy and I shot with that a lot to see if I liked it more than the hardcore but in the end I didn't like it at all. The hardcore is a really good release and I like mine but the whisper is what I end up using

elkhunt

FNG
I really like the Spot Hogg and have not had any issues with it. I prefer the light trigger. I don't think I could change easily and I don't have it set at the lightest setting.

I love Scott Archery Little Bitty Goose. It has many of the advantages stated by Graindrain. The main reason I like it, it helped me to shoot tighter groups.

I have the Trufire Edge but it's not my favorite. Too much trigger travel even when adjusted all the way down. I just picked up the Spot Hogg and really like it. Took some getting used to as it's such a light trigger.

japple

FNG
I'm shooting the Wise Guy and love it, it does have an adjustable trigger. The carter releases mentioned are very nice releases as well. Scott's are pretty bullet proof as well, not quite as refined as the Carters, but well made. I would avoid tru-fire myself, as we have the highest volume of warranty work at the shop with them. The tru-ball releases, fang series, short and sweet, etc. . . are excellent quality as well. Good luck with your search.

Are the drop tines still eating up d loop or did this get resolved? I wanted to try one but it seemed 9 out of 10 people were having d loops destroyed by them.

Nope still eating them, I took a dremel polishing brush and went to town on the hook. Better then it was but it still wears them out faster then it should.

I've owned a lot of different releases, including most of the ones already mentioned, and some more. I did not like the Hardcore or the Hardcore Max at all...but that's just me. I LOVE the Wiseguy. The trigger is adjustable, so it being "light" is not a problem. I make mine a bit heavier in the later season when I am wearing thicker gloves.

The fold back feature on the post model is really nice. It's much easier to fold back and forth than the Hardcore...and I prefer the buckle strap to the Hardcore and Hardcore Max straps.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I've got the trigger on my Wise Guy set really heavy and I use it like a back tension release. Keeps me from bumping the trigger and having it go off accidentally as well. I also like the Rhino XT and Silverhorn from Scott. TruFire releases just have a weird trigger feel to me

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
SouthEastID