Archery release for my 12yo?

Legend

WKR
I am looking for recommendations on a new release for my 12 year old. He loves to shoot. Right now he has a cheap release. I am thinking about buying him the same release I use ( Carter Like Mike).

Criteria:

1) Has to fit a very skinny wrist.

Also, any thoughts on how different types of releases that would influence longterm good habits?

Thanks!

jimh406

WKR
I would go with the same one you have assuming it works for him. The biggest advantage is “one” extra release instead of two backups. Worst case if you can only have two, you let him use yours, and you watch. ;)

I‘ve used a lot of different releases. I could get used to any of them. Durability is a major concern. Unless something has changed Carter releases are very durable.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Scott Hero fits small hands (works for my 5 year old), but is cheap. You could get its wrist strap and put that on a LM2.

I have my 10 year old shooting a hinge. Tru ball ht. With a trigger he wanted to punch it off at first but now after a year on the hinge he can shoot a trigger properly. I like the idea of taking a trigger out of the process when teaching them. A resistance release would be a great starter too

akcabin

Lil-Rokslider
Our 6 yr old grandson received a youth sized compound bow for Christmas. And was wondering about getting him a reliese but know nothing about them. Put my bear recurve down 40 some years ago. He's a big boy ,4'2" tall, 105 pounds n mature enough. Any advice Thanks folks

OR Archer

WKR
Our 6 yr old grandson received a youth sized compound bow for Christmas. And was wondering about getting him a reliese but know nothing about them. Put my bear recurve down 40 some years ago. He's a big boy ,4'2" tall, 105 pounds n mature enough. Any advice Thanks folks
At that age fingers are still best in my opinion.

DanimalW

WKR
It’s a nice release that he can shorten up all the way. Might need to add some holes on the wrist strap or go with a boa.

DanimalW

WKR
It’s a nice release that he can shorten up all the way. Might need to add some holes on the wrist strap or go with a boa.
Also, I would pull the release connecting strap all the way through, cut off the excess and save it. That way you have a new strap to use if ever needed. The strap kind of frays apart as you make length adjustments, and there’s so much extra strap hanging off both ends.

OP
Legend

Legend

WKR
Gotta love rokslide advice. I am going to look into all of those ideas.

He does punch the trigger so a hinge release is intriguing.

Last edited:

nphunter

WKR
Gotta love rokslide advice. I am going to look into all of those ideas.

He does punch the trigger so a hinge release is intriguing.
My boys have been shooting truball sweet spots for several years, the main reason I switched them to a hinge is that they also punched the trigger. It's still possible to punch a hinge but it's still more controlled than a trigger. I think I gave away all my kids prior releases but any release that has webbing to adjust the head works well, scott makes several small releases and you can punch new holes in the wrist strap.

I think the sweet spot is probably the best hunting hinge made, especially for youth, they have a safety that sets the head at whatever angle it's at when the safety is released. This is a huge advantage when shooting angled shots, shots from awkward positions, etc. I think my youngest started shooting a hinge at 8 or 9 when he was still shooting a ruckus. Bows also matter when deciding release types, I would never recommend a hinge for a kid shooting a Genesis or similar with no back wall, a super spongey wall makes it difficult to be consistent.

akcabin

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks folks. Last time I hunted with a bow probably 45 years ago. Hunting whitetails at an abandoned farmstead. With an apple tree orchard. With a Bear recurve. Probably just take him n the bow to an archery store in town and get proper advice too. Even ol papa needs retraining and haven't shot a compound. Maybe sign up for classes

ritter26

FNG
I am looking for recommendations on a new release for my 12 year old. He loves to shoot. Right now he has a cheap release. I am thinking about buying him the same release I use ( Carter Like Mike).

Criteria:

1) Has to fit a very skinny wrist.

Also, any thoughts on how different types of releases that would influence longterm good habits?

Thanks!
I'm trying to make decide what release to use for my son. If you have any extra releases besides your Carter, you may consider whether your could retrofit those to your 12 year old son.

RC_

FNG
I would recommend a hinge or tension release. If I had known better or been taught by someone who knew how to properly shoot, I can’t imagine the amount of frustration I would have saved myself and how much sooner I would have been shooting better. Basically relearned how to shoot a bow after 10+ years of bad execution. Tension is harder to form bad habits with in my opinion and easier shot sequencing but lots more options with hinges.

Binz17

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt with a hinge. But, I got my son one of the thumb trigger releases, so similar style. I will switch him to a hinge soon enough. Easier to teach proper technique when we are both using the same style. Even with a thumb they can get punchy, so you gotta watch them. In the end the hinge wins.