6.5 PRC suggestions

I have a Tikka 6.5PRC. It's been great. I don't track it that close, but since I only have 1 6.5PRC, it's a little easier to know off hand that the factory barrel has well over 2k rounds down it with no signs of wear. Cuts tiny groups with about anything I stuff in it. I have it in an Altitude stock, but I much prefer the Stockys V2 I have on other Tikkas. I run Hells Canyon mags in it, which are fantastic for short mag based cases in a Tikka. I have well under $2k in the 6.5 PRC, even with the aftermarket stock, and I can't think of a thing I'd like to improve upon with it.

Last edited:
I like the browning stock shape (for a traditional shape) and the flush magazines. I'd like a tikka if I were going to throw it in an aftermarket stock like a rokstock. I'm a big fan of the seekins as well in a 700 platform. Don't think you can make a bad choice with those 3.

I’d get the tikka rough tech as well. If you want a higher comb then you can put a Stockys or rokstok on it and you’ll be a little over $1500 but have an amazing shooting rifle for less than the seekins.

OP
GoM_Coaster
There is a pretty killer deal on the Aero Precision Hunter (gen I). While a little heavier than I was thinking it looks like a heck of a package. Can be had for less than the Seekins right now. Anyone have experience with this?

Houseminer

Lil-Rokslider
I like mine quite alot. Wished I could get more brass for it but it’s the nature of the beast right now.

I kinda think if it as a quick twisted 270 Win honestly. Mine has been about the same speed for the same weight bullets my 270’s have been.

I like the browning stock shape (for a traditional shape) and the flush magazines. I'd like a tikka if I were going to throw it in an aftermarket stock like a rokstock. I'm a big fan of the seekins as well in a 700 platform. Don't think you can make a bad choice with those 3.
Before I built on a couple of Tikkas, I had a pile of 700's and A-bolts. Always preferred the A-Bolt safeties to anything else. I think it's largely due to the fact that I do a lot of upland hunting with O/U's, and a thumb safety on the tang is completely sub conscious for me. Moved to Tikkas largely for more aftermarket parts availability. I have been exceedingly pleased with multiple Tikkas.

In any case, theres a lot to like on the new X-bolts, and I plan on getting back into Brownings as they continue to offer configurations I like.

OP
GoM_Coaster
Thanks for the feedback everyone. It was looking like Seekins/Aero/Tikka/Sako. Caught a decent auction on GB and picked up the Browing X-bolt Pro Tungsten for 1350, though after tax/GB fee/shipping it made a solid deal a fair deal but c'est la vie.
I always wanted to own a Browning so figured I'd give it a try... if I don't like it I don't think I'll get hurt and can move it down the trail. Next stop... a new spring.
Thanks again.

MatukaJoe

FNG
Seekins, Bergara are both hard to beat - Bergara bang for buck may be putting out the best rifles on the market right now IMO (yes my opinion so we know what those are worth.) All that said I will state I am not a fan of Tikka - I've owned one and had two friends own them as well. All three had QC issues. I know thats a small sample size but for me when I have issue and two friends as well its a no go for me. Browning are also quite nice they just never Felt right in hand to me but that is very personal pref. I put together a 6.5 PRC this year for under 1200 (scope and rings not included) by doing a HOWA Carbon barreled action and Stocky's VG2 vertical stock and been way happy with it. Took a solid mule deer at 330 this prior fall. I'd tell anyone to go down that rabbit hole as well if you have an action you really like.20230709_091150.jpg

OP
GoM_Coaster
If anyone is thinking of picking up the last generation of x-bolts, thought I'd share. Really a nice rifle, first trip to the range it was stacking bullets when I did my part. Well balanced and fun to shoot.
Trigger is adjustable, but with the sear spring set screw removed (lightest possible setting) it was uber consistent, but a consistent 3 lbs. If that is good for you, you are all set.

I got the MCarbo spring and neither me, nor my smith, could remove it using the mcarbo tutorial method so I paid a few bucks to have him remove it. Maybe we were doing it wrong, but we had a heck of a time getting that bugger out. Otherwise, the spring works great and I got it down to where I like it though if you want much below 2 lbs you might have to snip it.

Attachments

• XBB.png
    XBB.png
    122.4 KB · Views: 31
  • XB.jpg
    XB.jpg
    488.7 KB · Views: 30
Reactions: BCD
Seekins, Bergara are both hard to beat - Bergara bang for buck may be putting out the best rifles on the market right now IMO (yes my opinion so we know what those are worth.) All that said I will state I am not a fan of Tikka - I've owned one and had two friends own them as well. All three had QC issues. I know thats a small sample size but for me when I have issue and two friends as well its a no go for me. Browning are also quite nice they just never Felt right in hand to me but that is very personal pref. I put together a 6.5 PRC this year for under 1200 (scope and rings not included) by doing a HOWA Carbon barreled action and Stocky's VG2 vertical stock and been way happy with it. Took a solid mule deer at 330 this prior fall. I'd tell anyone to go down that rabbit hole as well if you have an action you really like.View attachment 687032
I'm currently doing the same thing. The carbon barreled 6.5 prc in the hogue stock can be bought right now for $611. No better deal in the market. Probably will settle for the vg2 as well, I do prefer the looks and weight of the peak 44 bastion.

Alex.D102

FNG
I'm currently doing the same thing. The carbon barreled 6.5 prc in the hogue stock can be bought right now for $611. No better deal in the market. Probably will settle for the vg2 as well, I do prefer the looks and weight of the peak 44 bastion.
Where can this be had for $611. I have some money to burn 😂

Dbevans

Lil-Rokslider

Which website? Cheapest I can find is a barreled action for $800

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk