Looking for a long range rifle bipod

Erik1972

FNG
Classified Approved
I am looking for recommendations for a long range shooting/hunting bipod for my Christiansen 6.5 PRC. I will need a front pic rail adapter I assume as my rifle only has the swivel mount for a sling. I am trying to get into long range target shooting with the rifle but I will use it on a deer and antelope in the near future as well, but my priority is bench rest. Prefer to not spend $400. Thanks in advance Erik

WRO

WKR
It costs more that you budget, but I love my Modular Evolution bipod..

NSI

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
You will spend less money, shoot tighter bench groups, and kill faster by simply avoiding the bipod.

Get a great stable bag for the bench like a sand-filled Schmedium Armageddong Gear GameChanger.

Get a great lightweight front and rear bag like a Molinator and Jellyfish from S2H/UM. Strap the Molinator to the rear of your pack, and become deadly using it as a front rest.

-J

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
You will spend less money, shoot tighter bench groups, and kill faster by simply avoiding the bipod.

Get a great stable bag for the bench like a sand-filled Schmedium Armageddong Gear GameChanger.

Get a great lightweight front and rear bag like a Molinator and Jellyfish from S2H/UM. Strap the Molinator to the rear of your pack, and become deadly using it as a front rest.

-J
Lame take! Field shooting rocks with a bipod

It also can rock with double bags. But I certainly wouldn't talk someone out of a bipod if they want to use one

waspocrew

WKR
I have a couple - the Atlas and an MDT Ckyepod single pull. I use the MDT way more due to the adjustability. That being said, I’ve been pretty impressed with the look and feel of the Gunwerks bipod. Seems to have most of the adjustability of the MDT, but only 12 oz. May be my next purchase.

NSI

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
I can't square "my priority is benchrest" with a carbon compromise like the Gunwerks (which I own gen 2, btw).

"My priority is benchrest" means: leave the rifle alone, don't modify the stock on a field gun so that it has a permanent cheese grating protrusion. Get a concrete block and a sand-filled bag (#RokBlok), and get a great rear bag (like a jellyfish), and go shoot. If bipods are a mandatory kink, something like the Accutac or an over-center design would make substantially more sense for pseudo-benchrest than a Gunwerks.

If "my priority is extremely fast prone shooting in areas where I am able to take prone shots at animals enough to justify an extra pound," then the answer is a Harris.

If "my priority is achieving a front rest in the field when I don't have my backpack, but still being able to shoot benchrest without impeding the rearward movement of my stock," then the answer is a spartan(s).

-J

NSI

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
The new gunwerks is pretty legit
I can only sit with it when the target is substantially downhill. How do you like to use it? Just prone mostly? Does yours instantly fill with grit in the mechanism when you dare to take it outdoors like mine does?

-J

huntnful

WKR
I can only sit with it when the target is substantially downhill. How do you like to use it? Just prone mostly? Does yours instantly fill with grit in the mechanism when you dare to take it outdoors like mine does?

-J
I don’t even use one. My buddy had one that we spent some time behind at the range. I use a Hatch Outwest 27” because it’s more versatile, but also twice the weight. And that seems to be a hang up for pretty much everyone I recommend it to. So I don’t recommend it, because everyone finds a reason NOT to buy it lol. But it’s the best for hunting from prone to seated. The gunwerks doesn’t get you to a seated height.

huntnful

WKR
I have other lightweight bipods, Spartan, modular evolution, Harris and several Atlas ones. And the gunwerks is more versatile than those ones, at a competitive weight, so it’s easier to recommend

180ls1

WKR
I have other lightweight bipods, Spartan, modular evolution, Harris and several Atlas ones. And the gunwerks is more versatile than those ones, at a competitive weight, so it’s easier to recommend

Have you ever compared group size between them? Or just have musings?

It seems features are more of a differentiator for in-field use.

WRO

WKR

-J

I have 2 sets of legs for my modular evolution that literally change out on 5 seconds and stack..

Super easy and quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: NSI

huntnful

WKR
Have you ever compared group size between them? Or just have musings?

It seems features are more of a differentiator for in-field use.
I wouldn’t say any of them produce different groups in the grand scheme. If anything, the hatch Outwest might have the most wobble zone just simply due to the longer legs.

The only bipod I have that produces consistently smaller groups is my pheonix sled bipod. So that’s what I use when testing a load to make sure it meets my needs. Then I switch to a regular bipod, zero it (with normally a slightly larger group) and never use the pheonix again. That bipod is just for having no excuses about my inputs when shooting the initial groups.

LTGentry

FNG
I use a Harris HBRMS with Hawk Hill Talons and a Locking Handle. Ordered the whole setup from Short Action Precision. They aren’t $400 and can attach directly to your swivel. Can’t go wrong with a Harris.

I shoot off bipods most of the time but bench rest folks don’t use them because a front rest is a better solution. The ones that are short enough for bench use might be too short for most field use if not on manicured ground. Atlas CAL and Thunderbeast bipod are a couple I like. I still use Harris bipods at the range too.

Rippey715

FNG
I would just say that in general I found the 6-9” range too short for most prone shooting in sage brush or PRS matches. The 9-13” range is way better.

Ajsomp

WKR
Classified Approved
Harris 9-13 with the notched legs. Should bench shoot just fine - though a lot of people use the 6-9 for just bench rest. Accutach makes a good bipod for bench shooting but I don’t think I’d take it hunting.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I am looking for recommendations for a long range shooting/hunting bipod for my Christiansen 6.5 PRC. I will need a front pic rail adapter I assume as my rifle only has the swivel mount for a sling. I am trying to get into long range target shooting with the rifle but I will use it on a deer and antelope in the near future as well, but my priority is bench rest. Prefer to not spend $400. Thanks in advance Erik

For General Hunting

The Gunwerks bipod is great for all prone positions. It deploys extremely fast, it's solid, and fairly light. If weight and cost are not as much of a concern, the MDT Lightweight Double Pull is awesome.

Sitting or kneeling, I prefer a tripod.

As some others have mentioned, you can use your pack which works just fine for a lot of instances. I still prefer a bipod/tripod combo for my style of hunting. I prefer spot and stalk or ambush hunting.

If you've ever been on a long crawl, and tried to push/pull/carry your backpack instead of using a bipod you know it can suck. It's also much louder. There is a reason myself and most people I hunt with drop our packs before making the final stalk.

Other styles of hunting may work better without a bipod.

I agree with your thoughts here. I used the hatch for a few years..killed a lot of stuff from it.

Now using the Gunwerks. It’s lighter/more compact, less play in the legs, and quicker to adjust height on the fly. It will not work for sitting..but I prefer shooting from sticks/poles or tripod for that.

Lately I’ve been working on just shooting from a pack with mollinator..so far it’s the fastest, more wobble zone in the scope but group sizes seem to be the same..and one less thing to carry/mess with.

To the OP you might as well get a Harris bipod if mostly shooting it from a bench.