Longest Archery Shot

D

david long

While the "shortest" archery shot thread most likely will not cause much of a debate, something tells me that the "longest" archery shot thread just might do that. I am curious to see what everyone's thoughts are on this subject; I know they will vary greatly.

Personally, I feel comfortable shooting out to 60 yards, but, with that being said, I do prefer to close the gap closer when possible. My ideal shooting range is 40 yards. Once I am 40 yards from a buck, I don't attempt to get any closer. I simply sit and wait. I feel that closing the gap to less than 40 yards drastically reduces my chances of a successful stalk....too many things can go wrong being that close in my opinion. So in short, my shooting range is between 40-60 yards. What are your thoughts?

To date, 56 yards is the longest shot I have taken and here is the result of that shot:
56yards.jpg

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Great shot David,
Yes, long archery shots are sticky with lots of hunters. I don't like them, I don't try to hunt that way, but the reality is that if a hunter really goes after big mule deer, they are sometimes necessary.
My longest shot was 65 yards on the "Wait-him-out-buck" in your book. That one worked out OK, but in 2009, I lost a great buck on a 63 yard shot. I eventually recovered him, but lost the meat. That took the wind out of my sails. I know I still have to be ready for shots like that, but I'm trying even harder to get to that 40 yards you mention as my odds go way way up.
denning2.jpg

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm not telling...Roy G may fly to Colorado and try to arrest me:)

With that being said, 95% of my shots taken in the last 4 season were under 40 yards. I did kill a couple whitetail does at 70 from a ground blind and my follow up shot at my antelope was 97 yards.

I think 95% of the bowhunters should keep it under 40, and 30 would be better.

Hoyts n Mulies

Lil-Rokslider
I've taken one buck at 65 yards but 40 yards seems to be my number. I've shot 95% of my deer and turkey at 40 yards it seems. Given the perfect situation I'm comfortable out to 70 yards.

OP
B

bearguide

long shots depend on the type of terrain you are hunting in. the chance of loosing an animal in dense cover is a lot greater than in wide open country. weather also affects your ability to recover game, if it is raining hard then 10 yards may be to far to take a shot. if you are in new snow you may be able totake a long shot and still track and retrieve your game. you have to modify you shot distance to the hunting conditions,. the goal is to retrieve the animal so a long shot can be 10 yards sometimes and 80 yards in other conditions

J-Daddy

WKR
I wouldn't post it on Archerytalk but I will on here "and I'll still get flamed for it I'm sure"....105yds, pronghorn...He's in my freezer right now.

weaver

WKR
I wouldn't post it on Archerytalk but I will on here "and I'll still get flamed for it I'm sure"....105yds, pronghorn...He's in my freezer right now.

You worth nothing POS!!! Haha i can just imagine what this thread would be like on AT.

keep

Lil-Rokslider
Shot a caribou at 60.
I think limitations are a personal choice and that others shouldn't impose their ethics on others even if they think the other guy shoots too far. If you comfortable and know you can make the shot, Drop the String.

aggieland

WKR
Small Mule deer buck.. 98yds.. Thought It was a follow up shot but ended up not being, not sure where the first shot went.. Straight down hill used my 65yd pin right behind the shoulder..

50 yards on this guy

08Bull3.jpg

MJ from Oregon

Lil-Rokslider
103 Yards on BIGFOOT.
2009archerypics050.jpg

Instead of having him mounted the gave me these.
2009archerypics096.jpg

Hunting I made an 81 yard shot on a muley in Nevada. If i need to stretch it farther than that I will apply for a rifle tag.

J-Daddy

WKR
Trying to remember the longest from Bowcast last year...I remember atleast one 106yds, seems like the last target which was a bighorn sheep was like 110 or 112, something like that...I hammered it, I do remember that...And yes I was shocked, lol.

I practice to 100 but 60 is my limit on the first shot. with that said, if I know the first shot hit, I will go to 100 on a follow-up and follow-up only. my farthest shot to date at an animal was 52yds and a 100yd tracking job.