Long drive ebook suggestions

TaperPin

WKR
Here is history books to consider. some may be outside your stated interest, but close.

1. White Hunters by Brian Herne. Just listened to it again.
2. Stalin by Stephen Kotkin
3. The life of John Wesley Hardin
4. Helmet for my Pillow by R Leckie
5. With the Old Breed: at Peleliu and Okinawa
6 The Filthy 13: from the dustbowl to Hitler's Eagle's Nest by Jake McNeice
Steven Kotkin does such a good job of summarizing what was going on on the other side it changed my understanding of much of WW2, before during and after.

I like the Hardcore History podcasts. Super in depth. Not all subjects are appropriate for listening with little kids. As mentioned earlier “Ridgeline” by Michael Punke was a good listen.

P Carter

WKR
In the heart of the sea, the sinking of the whale ship Essex, by Nathaniel Philbrick.

This is a good one that combines a slice of American history I hadn’t learned about (the Quaker whalers of Nantucket) with a heck of a survival tale. Really well done.

P Carter

WKR
Steven Kotkin does such a good job of summarizing what was going on on the other side it changed my understanding of much of WW2, before during and after.
I rest the first two, and awaiting the third, which I think comes out in July. I catch endless crap from my wife/kids for reading a thousand pages on Stalin. They are interesting though.

P Carter

WKR
It's not WWII era but a bit earlier (1915); "Endurance - Shackleton's Incredible Journey" by Alfred Lansing, is a great listen on Audible. A failed artic exploration by Ernest Shackleton and crew and the incredible survival and rescue.
This - must be the best survival story ever told. (Antarctic, but same idea.)

Also in the genre of survival tales:

miracle in the Andes by Mandi parrado

Alone on the Ice by David Roberts.

Madhouse at the end of the earth by Julian sancton

undaunted courage by Stephen Ambrose (probably not quite the same genre but it’s close enough)

Great genre for audio books! I listen to them in many of my runs/walks and they’re awesome.