Llamas and predators

Curious if anyone has heard of it happening too. Im renting some for my elk hunt this year for the first time

7mm-08

WKR
I did a week-long archery hunt with my son several years ago in an area in the Sawtooths known to have a substantial wolf population. We left the animals tied up in camp with access to food and water and were virtually away from them from daylight to dark for several days before we needed them to pack a bull. We never had a problem with predators.

As a side note, years before that we came upon a llama packer in the Eagle Cap Wilderness and had two German shorthairs with us. The dogs were well behaved and were previously running around off-leash. When we saw this guy with his llamas, we got off the trail on the uphill side and held the dogs' collars until the packer got to us. We had a nice conversation with him and talked about llama packing for ten minutes or so. We were intrigued by the llamas and we asked the packer if the llamas were alright around dogs. He said they'd be fine and he invited us to put hands on the llamas and get an appreciation for them, which we did. In retrospect, I kind of sensed something wasn't right because one of the llamas was watching our older shorthair like a hawk. The dog was a really gentle and calm old girl (like 10 or so at the time). As soon as that dog got within striking distance, a different llama kicked that dog in the head with a front foot strike that reminded me of a pro boxer's jab. Knocked the dog cold as a cucumber and my son and I through she was dead. I said something to the packer like, "I thought you said your llamas were alright with dogs." to which he (correctly) responded, "You asked if they were alright with dogs - you didn't ask if you're dogs would be alright with them." I was not happy or pleased - I though he had an obligation to tell us if the llamas were going to harm a dog. It all ended well when the dog came to in a minute or two. I let the packer know, however, that if that dog had died, he and I would both have spilled blood on that trail.

Moral of the old-guy story: llamas are formidable adversaries to canids. I'm fairly convinced a llama could fend off a single wolf - not more than one, however. A lion or bear could likely kill one, but they are impressive when they decide to strike.

Last edited:

Line535

FNG
Curious if anyone has heard of it happening too. Im renting some for my elk hunt this year for the first time.

I did a week-long archery hunt with my son several years ago in an area in the Sawtooths known to have a substantial wolf population. We left the animals tied up in camp with access to food and water and were virtually away from them from daylight to dark for several days before we needed them to pack a bull. We never had a problem with predators.

As a side note, years before that we came upon a llama packer in the Eagle Cap Wilderness and had two German shorthairs with us. The dogs were well behaved and were previously running around off-leash. When we saw this guy with his llamas, we got off the trail on the uphill side and held the dogs' collars until the packer got to us. We had a nice conversation with him and talked about llama packing for ten minutes or so. We were intrigued by the llamas and we asked the packer if the llamas were alright around dogs. He said they'd be fine and he invited us to put hands on the llamas and get an appreciation for them, which we did. In retrospect, I kind of sensed something wasn't right because one of the llamas was watching our older shorthair like a hawk. The dog was a really gentle and calm old girl (like 10 or so at the time). As soon as that dog got within striking distance, a different llama kicked that dog in the head with a front foot strike that reminded me of a pro boxer's jab. Knocked the dog cold as a cucumber and my son and I through she was dead. I said something to the packer like, "I thought you said your llamas were alright with dogs." to which he (correctly) responded, "You asked if they were alright with dogs - you didn't ask if you're dogs would be alright with them." I was not happy or pleased - I though he had an obligation to tell us if the llamas were going to harm a dog. It all ended well when the dog came to in a minute or two. I let the packer know, however, that if that dog had died, he and I would both have spilled blood on that trail.

Moral of the old-guy story: llamas are formidable adversaries to canids. I'm fairly convinced a llama could fend off a single wolf - not more than one, however. A lion or bear could likely kill one, but they are impressive when they decide to strike.
Im well aware of their behavior with dogs so that makes sense that happened unfortunately. The people im renting from said absolutely no dogs can come along on the trip. My friend has a few and they did not like my big black german shepherd one bit, the feeling was mutual for sure!

Im just hoping i dont leave them unattended and some predator attacks them as I'm sure I'd be on the hook for the llamas financially, plus thats just a shitty situation all around that I'd feel bad about personally

grfox92

WKR
Bringing 4 of them into the most grizzly and wolf infested drainage in Wyoming this September. I'll report back.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

jpuckett

Lil-Rokslider
Excited for this thread!! I have BIG llama plans in my future when we move out to the farm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dogone

FNG
I had a llama for 14 years. He would be annoyed by a strange horse but my dogs chased his ass whenever they felt like it. Quite variable reaction from llamas.