Liners - are they worth it?

I'm heading on a cold-as-balls hunt in the Alberta rockies (it's already below zero with a couple feet of snow) and I was toying with buying a liner for my bag. The reason I haven't bought one yet is that I'm reading a lot of mixed reviews online but you never know with those people, so I was hoping to see what you guys recommend. I've got a Marmot CWM -40, so I don't think I'll need another bag, but some added warmth would be nice, if anything, just for peace of mind.
Thanks

sneaky

"DADDY"
Most liners are just to keep the bag clean or vapor out of the down. I think you have plenty of bag with the Cwm.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
Viktorsmash
Most liners are just to keep the bag clean or vapor out of the down. I think you have plenty of bag with the Cwm.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input. I've seen some liners that claim to add between 5-15 degrees to your bag but then I find a bunch of reviews saying it added nothing, or not very much.

What about adding a blanket, like the doobie over the bag? That could be used individually or on top of the bag to keep you snug.

I just bought one of these on a pro deal for $100. Figured why not? Plus I can use it for summer camping. Haven’t tried it yet but will be freezing my ass off next Wednesday night so we’ll see!

Eric4

Lil-Rokslider
I don't live in a 'cold-as-balls' region, so I can't speak of first hand knowledge... My experiences with bag liners haven't been pleasant. They're just one more thing to get tangled up in, waking you up in the middle of the night.

I'd rather invest my weight into thermals/baselayers, as they will be closer to your skin (insulating you more efficiently) and serve dual function as a wearable insulative layer. Combine that with a down balaclava + booties, and you've gained a few degrees for the same weight. Throw on that balaclava for long glassing sessions, and your nose wont leak like a fountain, too!

If you made the jump to a vapor bag liner, you'd likely get a jump in warmth, but you're also sleeping in a plastic bag.

OP
Viktorsmash
I just bought one of these on a pro deal for $100. Figured why not? Plus I can use it for summer camping. Haven’t tried it yet but will be freezing my ass off next Wednesday night so we’ll see!

Let me know how this works. It seems like it'd be the best alternative to a liner, and if anything, be a lot warmer. Thanks.

OP
Viktorsmash
I don't live in a 'cold-as-balls' region, so I can't speak of first hand knowledge... My experiences with bag liners haven't been pleasant. They're just one more thing to get tangled up in, waking you up in the middle of the night.

I'd rather invest my weight into thermals/baselayers, as they will be closer to your skin (insulating you more efficiently) and serve dual function as a wearable insulative layer. Combine that with a down balaclava + booties, and you've gained a few degrees for the same weight. Throw on that balaclava for long glassing sessions, and your nose wont leak like a fountain, too!

If you made the jump to a vapor bag liner, you'd likely get a jump in warmth, but you're also sleeping in a plastic bag.

I already get tangled enough as it, so this is something to consider.

Noted about the additional layers. I also didn't know that down balaclavas existed (yet another rabbit hole I'm sure.)

I'm not a fan of plastics as I sweat pretty easily and I'm sure I'd wake up sweaty, and then eventually start to freeze.

Thanks for the input.

mlgc20

WKR
I would pay much more attention to your pad, and not worry too much about the liner. I agree with the post above, that they are great for keeping you bag clean. But, my experience has been that they don't add much warmth.

With my Exped DownMat 9, I've been able to take my Marmot Hydrogen 30 degree bag down to 0 degrees. If you paired your CWM with a similar R rated pad(s), I think you will be fine.

Let me know how this works. It seems like it'd be the best alternative to a liner, and if anything, be a lot warmer. Thanks.
Will do - heading to the high country next Wednesday and it'll be in the teens the first night or two.

rayporter

WKR
the pad is all important. I take 2 in single digit temps -one for comfort and a closed cell foam over it for insulation.

be careful that a liner does not compress your insulation and hinder its ability to insulate.

a mantle or over bag is better. doobies make good extra insulators. you may wish to add a few Velcro dots strategically placed to keep it from sliding off.

edit-
I am a cold sleeper but in zero to -8 temps my marmot -30 took everything I had to keep me warm. I slept in a down coat and covered the bag with my jackets while wearing heavy long johns.

wearing a down coat or down vest helps a lot.

Last edited:
I've got the CWM bag and slept out in it at -35º without a liner and stayed plenty warm enough. You won't need a liner in that bag. Get yourself a decently insulated pad and you will be fine. If you find any cold spots on your bottom side, just throw extra clothing under you and the pad.

Eric4

Lil-Rokslider
I already get tangled enough as it, so this is something to consider.

Noted about the additional layers. I also didn't know that down balaclavas existed (yet another rabbit hole I'm sure.)

I'm not a fan of plastics as I sweat pretty easily and I'm sure I'd wake up sweaty, and then eventually start to freeze.

Thanks for the input.

If you're looking to try out a down balaclava and booties, the Aegismax brand is affordable and does a pretty good job. Want top tier? - Nunatak

OP
Viktorsmash
I've got the CWM bag and slept out in it at -35º without a liner and stayed plenty warm enough. You won't need a liner in that bag. Get yourself a decently insulated pad and you will be fine. If you find any cold spots on your bottom side, just throw extra clothing under you and the pad.

Great to hear from someone with the same bag. I'll probably be in the same temp range at night so this gives me confidence. I've got a fairly thick Nemo pad that's served me well in the past but I might throw down some clothes as well now. Thanks

horse43

FNG
Some of the Big Agnes ones have clips that clip into your bag eliminating all the tangles. I have their bags and liners, but I have a 20 and 0 degree bag and like the option to add a little more warmth if need be than sleep in my clothes. And I don't use them much. I'd say 5 degrees on a wool liner and maybe 5 to 10 with the McKinnis.

I would say they wouldn't be worth it in your situation, especially if you can't clip them in. I think their use is more in 0 and above range.

What I'd recommend if you don't already have it, is a nice set of puffy pants and jacket. Then you can have double use for them for still hunting/glassing and added warmth if need be at night. I would think if you run some merino baselayers, puffies, and a -40 degree bag, you should be sweating in -40 degrees.

Reiterate a good pad too. Those R values are generally nothing and way overstated for degrees.

Best thing is to make sure you have a decent base layer on and/or midweight type fleece along with a good, warm hat. I had a balaclava on with a thinner layer over my mouth, which helps to keep the really cold air from getting to the lungs. You'll wake up to a ton of frost on your bag around your head from all of your breath freezing, but that's ok with the CWM, it's got a waterproof layer in it.

Curious what kind of temp rating this would have on it’s own? With clothes on would it be enough to 40deg or what?