UL 20deg + ~2lb sleeping bags with a $150 budget - is it even possible?

pyrobob83

FNG
Brand new here and I have searched around a little, but not finding what I'm hoping to find... Looking to try and find a 20° sleeping bag for that's around 2lbs but with a seemingly impossible budget of $150... And the other factor is I'm 6'2 so seem to need the long sizes. Is this even possible? Am I going to be limited to buying used? Is there something that's close that might work? Thanks in advance for any input.

BigMuleyHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I was in a similar situation a few years ago. I found a Big Agnes Boot Jack 25 degree in tall for $150 on sale. It weighs 37 ounces on my scale. I'm not sure if they are still available anywhere. I think they were being discontinued at the time. This year I found the Marmot Paiju on a steep discount, thanks to the gear deals section, as it was also being discontinued. So. it can be done with a little patience and luck.

OP
P

pyrobob83

FNG
I was in a similar situation a few years ago. I found a Big Agnes Boot Jack 25 degree in tall for $150 on sale. It weighs 37 ounces on my scale. I'm not sure if they are still available anywhere. I think they were being discontinued at the time. This year I found the Marmot Paiju on a steep discount, thanks to the gear deals section, as it was also being discontinued. So. it can be done with a little patience and luck.
Thanks, will see if I can dig up info on those and maybe by chance find one somewhere. It does seem like I'm either going to have to compromise somewhere, buy used or wait to find some kind of steep discount like you did.

The Eolus was a good suggestion, though would have to get the 30° to get closer to 2lb (in the long at least). Still up for other suggestions, even if they're discontinued!

OP
P

pyrobob83

FNG
The sleeping bag is your #1 survival item along with a way to stay dry. Just coming up with a weight limit may not be a good thing. Think it thru. Ymmv.
Agreed, though with the other stuff I want to pack and what I'll typically use it for, weight is probably higher of a priority than the others - can always save up longer if needed, but was hoping to find some options from those more experienced is all

I think this sea to summit is probably going to be about as close as you can get to price and weight.

18° Long is 2lbs 6.1oz and price right now is $184.50.
The website usually has one of those pop up give me your email and I'll give you 10% off things. Not sure if it would apply with that bags discount but if it does that would be a darn good deal.

https://seatosummit.com/products/trek-down-sleeping-bag-series?variant=7896094703644

S.Clancy

WKR
You can prob do it buying a used quilt, at least between 150-200$. You would also be way under the weight spec you want. Make sure you have a good pad tho.

OP
P

pyrobob83

FNG
I think this sea to summit is probably going to be about as close as you can get to price and weight.

18° Long is 2lbs 6.1oz and price right now is $184.50.
The website usually has one of those pop up give me your email and I'll give you 10% off things. Not sure if it would apply with that bags discount but if it does that would be a darn good deal.

https://seatosummit.com/products/trek-down-sleeping-bag-series?variant=7896094703644
Thank you, that'd definitely one to consider though I did try the 10% signup thing and after they take your email, they demand your number for texts... then say they've texted you a code but it never came. 🤨 Maybe I'll try again, they already got my details.

OP
P

pyrobob83

FNG
You can prob do it buying a used quilt, at least between 150-200$. You would also be way under the weight spec you want. Make sure you have a good pad tho.
Thanks, I have thought of going down the quilt route but a) they seem way more expensive than bags b) don't seem to be many sales on those and c) I'm worried about how I toss and turn in the night and getting drafts. I know some have dual pad straps but even with those I'm skeptical
Thanks, I'll take a look

Thank you, that'd definitely one to consider though I did try the 10% signup thing and after they take your email, they demand your number for texts... then say they've texted you a code but it never came. 🤨 Maybe I'll try again, they already got my details.

I signed up last night and just got a code emailed a couple hours ago. No text yet though. Check you email and maybe you spam.

jthomas

Lil-Rokslider
Kelty cosmic synthetic 20 is close but doesn't quite make the weight limit. I have one that I have been using since 2016. I recently bought an el coyote 0 degree and it's a sauna. I need to find something in between

OP
P

pyrobob83

FNG
I signed up last night and just got a code emailed a couple hours ago. No text yet though. Check you email and maybe you spam.
Good call, that's exactly what happened. And the 10% code does apply even to the sale. Will keep that in mind if I can't find anything that hits all 3. Thank you!
Kelty cosmic synthetic 20 is close but doesn't quite make the weight limit. I have one that I have been using since 2016. I recently bought an el coyote 0 degree and it's a sauna. I need to find something in between
I came across that in my research and yes, anything synthetic seems too heavy. Through the classifieds on here, I discovered the Sierra Designs Cloud 800 20° which is a down version of the synthetic Night Cap I'd found earlier and I like the idea of that zipperless option and pad-sleeve since I'm a side sleeper and toss and turn a decent amount. Used, it's close enough to my budget so 🤞it's still available in a week since I can't post there for 6 more days.

Clarktar

WKR
Thanks, I have thought of going down the quilt route but a) they seem way more expensive than bags b) don't seem to be many sales on those and c) I'm worried about how I toss and turn in the night and getting drafts. I know some have dual pad straps but even with those I'm skeptical

Thanks, I'll take a look
I really have never had a "draft issue" unless it's very high winds and even then it can be mitigated. Maybe people are bareskin and they notice or feel these drafts more than I. When it's time to go to sleep I peel off the boots and socks and just crawl in. If it's really cold I just put my insulation layers over my clothes and crawl in.

I guess when the wind is coming from the direct of my head and parallel to my body I do get drafts when not using a tent. I usually try to build a wall of gear around my head. Last year it was bad enough that I zipped up my windshell type jacket and slip it over my head/shoulders. Worked really well actually.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

OP
P

pyrobob83

FNG
I really have never had a "draft issue" unless it's very high winds and even then it can be mitigated. Maybe people are bareskin and they notice or feel these drafts more than I.
Good to know, I certainly wouldn't be going bare skin and usually would have a tent so wind wouldn't be an issue. Maybe I should reconsider a quilt, though finding one with my budget might be tough.

S.Clancy

WKR

Thanks, I'll take a look
You can get a deal on the Classifieds here.

I would go for a 30F quilt, you could take it into the low to mid 20's pretty easy with some layering. I use a 40F quilt I've taken into the high 20's several times.

I'm also a night thrasher, the quilt works great.