Kuiu Kenai vs Sitka Jetstream

littlefish

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been wearing a Kuiu Kenai in a solid color for the last two years now. It’s pilling really badly. Reading reviews online it seems to be common for thst jacket so I want to replace it with something else for around town. Thinking of replacing it with a Sitka Jetstream. Would they be comparable in terms of warmth? Anything else I should look at in a solid color?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
These two aren’t in the same category at all. The jetstream is a softshell, which is meant to take some abrasion also has a wind blocker lining and a fleece backer but I wouldn’t call it insulated like the Kenai, which is designed for warmth and breathability when active. For an around town jacket, I would much rather have a softshell and put that over the Kenai when I needed more warmth. I can’t justify the cost of the jetstream to wear around town unless it would actually get some use in the field too.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I agree with Tony on all fronts. If you knabbed one on clearance the jetstream would be nice. Good to block wind, minimal warmth gain otherwise, they are made for active movement/work.

I really like solids and getting use out of stuff year-round. If you need a shell, jet stream works fine, but it isn’t going to be near as warm as a kenai. Any performance piece will likely suffer from some pilling/wear when used as a daily driver. Mine pulled like crazy as well.

The kenai is a bit unique - for daily wear I’d look at a kelvin lite jacket, or stone glacier cirque/lite ones. I vastly prefer the arctyrex atom series as a well-rounded kind of do all piece.

OP
L

littlefish

Lil-Rokslider
These two aren’t in the same category at all. The jetstream is a softshell, which is meant to take some abrasion also has a wind blocker lining and a fleece backer but I wouldn’t call it insulated like the Kenai, which is designed for warmth and breathability when active. For an around town jacket, I would much rather have a softshell and put that over the Kenai when I needed more warmth. I can’t justify the cost of the jetstream to wear around town unless it would actually get some use in the field too.

I agree with Tony on all fronts. If you knabbed one on clearance the jetstream would be nice. Good to block wind, minimal warmth gain otherwise, they are made for active movement/work.

I really like solids and getting use out of stuff year-round. If you need a shell, jet stream works fine, but it isn’t going to be near as warm as a kenai. Any performance piece will likely suffer from some pilling/wear when used as a daily driver. Mine pulled like crazy as well.

The kenai is a bit unique - for daily wear I’d look at a kelvin lite jacket, or stone glacier cirque/lite ones. I vastly prefer the arctyrex atom series as a well-rounded kind of do all piece.
Thanks guys. I definitely don't want to go any less warm than the Kenai I currently have. Any thoughts on the the First Lite Uncompahgre 2.0 puffy? Seems like it might be similar to the Kenai.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks guys. I definitely don't want to go any less warm than the Kenai I currently have. Any thoughts on the the First Lite Uncompahgre 2.0 puffy? Seems like it might be similar to the Kenai.
That’s a more traditional insulation piece. Should be comparable warmth to the kenai but still not something designed for durability. If just wanting more durability and not intending to use it in the field then I would just get a $40 softshell from Costco and wear it over the kenai.

Some insane deals for the jetstream going on right now if you aren’t particular about color. Plenty of places are under $200. Mountain Archery has blue and light grey for $140.

FOT223

FNG
I had the same experience with the kenai. I prefer my old Sitka kelvin lite hoody. For current jackets the best is the arctyrex atom lt hoody. Other than its only solids, I don’t think anything beats it.