lightweight canvas hot tents

Has anyone had experience with Whiteduck canvas tents? Their bell tent is pretty intriguing. https://whiteduckoutdoors.com/products/regatta-bell-tent-10?variant=19988870070372
I have goats but am more so looking for a tent to pack with my horses and use as a basecamp tent as well as family camping in the summer/early fall. I probably should just save the money and get a Divide series from WRTL. If I wasnt also trying to use it with my wife and two little kids I'd probably just get a Mountain Den and be done with it.

OP
wasatchcomm
look pretty cool other than the weight
the snowtrekker is much lighter,
but the price of these and if used as a base camp makes it very appealing, im sure your horses wouldn't care either way, lots of good reviews soon their site

look pretty cool other than the weight
the snowtrekker is much lighter,
but the price of these and if used as a base camp makes it very appealing, im sure your horses wouldn't care either way, lots of good reviews soon their site
Ya they are fairly heavy, I think a good chunk of that is the sewn in floor and heavier canvas. They have some cool features and I think for a family car camping/base camp tent would probably be happy.
No, I don't think my horses will care much either way but I am being careful not to get on that "slippery slope" of well just packing more because I can with horses ha.
I have considered the Seek Outside Courthouse pretty seriously and almost bought it on their blemish sale last week but the Divide tents are just so much more well thought out I really like that there is no center pole. I think in scenario's where I want a larger tent the minimal weight penalty is worth it.
I'll likely just run my Cimarron solo with my horses during September this year but want a wall tent for later season and basecamp.

OP
wasatchcomm
the weight penalty of a canvas tent with a ridge pole is worth its weight in gold compared to anything nylon or poly, the condensation is a huge turn off for me, once you go canvas you dont go back,,I bought a llama just for that canvas tent and wood stove.
In september I will use a dome style tent with a floor, but I have one tall enough for me to stand up in, I did modify it to use a stove in the vestibule ,and it works great, the dome style tent doesn't have any condensation issues. with or without a stove.

the single wall tipis and such and what not have issues with condensation, with pack stock, to me its a no brainer. back pack hunting id go back to single wall floorless. for me I needed at least 3 llamas for elk as it was so why not 5 or 7. and have a great shelter for any weather. and still be versatile. my only real splurges with pack stock is the shelter and stove. couple beers maybe, but everything else is pretty light, enough so I can carry that out on my back while llamas carry the deer or elk and tent and wood stove out.

I bought a Snowtrekker a few months ago. I got the 9.5x9.5 High Country. Jonah was really helpful and production was a week or so quicker than expected. I had it on a fishing trip in WY a few weeks ago and it was awesome. We saw winds forecasted up to 40-50 mph and snow/sleet. It slept 2 of us in cots and a small table/chair with a Knico AK jr stove with some room to move around. I am really looking forward to using this tent in the fall. I fit the tent/poles/stakes/ground tarp in a 27 gal tote (standard black and yellow Home Depot storage tote). I also have a SO Cimarron with stove that I really like, but this tent is a game changer for comfort when truck camping.
Still happy with your tent?

Last edited:

CO Hunter

FNG
Still happy with your tent? I’ve tried reaching out to wilderness ridge Llama through text and email and never get a reply. If it’s that hard to purchase a tent, I can’t imagine the difficulty of making a warranty claim. Snow Trekker has always emailed me back same day. Looks like I’ll be giving them my business.
Yes, I am still stoked on the 9.5 High Country. I have actually emailed random questions recently about trimming the ground cloth and adding a zipper (like the WRTL version) and Jonah has gotten back to me literally within the hour (during business hours). The WRTL tents are made completely by ST as I understand it. Unless you need the shorter poles/pannier pack-ability I would absolutely recommend going with a High Country. The tent is awesome, and I couldn’t have had a better customer service experience from figuring out my order to post-sales support; absolutely top notch.

nickstone

WKR
Still happy with your tent? I’ve tried reaching out to wilderness ridge Llama through text and email and never get a reply. If it’s that hard to purchase a tent, I can’t imagine the difficulty of making a warranty claim. Snow Trekker has always emailed me back same day. Looks like I’ll be giving them my business.
As somebody who owns the tent, and purchased it from Beau- I would just deal with Snowtrekker if I did it over again.

Communication with Snowtrekker directly has always gotten a response the same day.

If you had an acutal warranty issue Snowtrekker would be the one to take care of it anyways. Beau doesn't do anything besides call or email Jonah the order. Mine shipped directly from Snowtrekker.

Put all the "package items" in your cart on snowtrekker and Im sure it's still cheaper that buying it from Beau.

As somebody who owns the tent, and purchased it from Beau- I would just deal with Snowtrekker if I did it over again.

Communication with Snowtrekker directly has always gotten a response the same day.

If you had an acutal warranty issue Snowtrekker would be the one to take care of it anyways. Beau doesn't do anything besides call or email Jonah the order. Mine shipped directly from Snowtrekker.

Put all the "package items" in your cart on snowtrekker and Im sure it's still cheaper that buying it from Beau.
Thanks for the feedback. I intend to pack in with llamas so the shorter poles of Beau version is appealing. How often do you use the floor on your trips ?

BCSojourner

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the feedback. I intend to pack in with llamas so the shorter poles of Beau version is appealing. How often do you use the floor on your trips ?
If you want to go bigger (i.e., with the longer poles) and you are packing with lllamas, you can easily split up the poles and top pack them. I pack the Continental setup on my llamas by putting canvas and fly in opposite panniers and poles on top on each side of the saddle. I add a little offsetting weight to the fly side, like a cook stove, etc. to balance the panniers. My Sopris panniers have two tie downs on top of each pannier. The loner poles come in a canvas carrry case. I use a Seek Outside cordura tent bag (about $30) for the shorter poles. Both bags end up at about 7.5 lbs which carries very nicely on top of each of the panniers and are better protected there. I never put anything in a pannier that could get bent (like poles) in case a llama bangs up against a tree. If you do, be sure they are padded well inside canvas or fly.

nickstone

WKR
I usually use it. It’s nothing amazing, just 9.5’ tarp that weighs 3 lbs. it does have the zipper out piece for a stove, but there absolutely no reason you couldn’t just buy a tarp and tuck the corner with the stove under itself.

Jonah posted pics on ig the other day of him cutting poles, I don’t know why you couldn’t just call him and order the shorter pole set. Also when I bought mine I looked at the snowtrekker sight first and don’t remember seeing the ultra light pole option they have listed now.

just spoke with them again this evening. Apparently they are coming out with a hybrid version using nylon. Also coming out with an attachable floor using G hooks,
/ with the stove cut out. Guess I can live with the slighter longer poles and pack on top like mentioned above. The ability to add the rear window through ST is a plus.

I have had my snow trekker for 2 seasons now. Best outdoor gear investment I have made. I ordered a 11x11 high country and have been very happy with it. I even had a small warranty issue and it was a super easy experience to get it fixed. I didn't even have to pay for return shipping. Jonah has been great to deal with and delivers a great product. I previously had always used my 6 person seek outside tipi and the snow trekker is so much better for livability with the canvas and no condensation.

I bought a Snowtrekker a few months ago. I got the 9.5x9.5 High Country. Jonah was really helpful and production was a week or so quicker than expected. I had it on a fishing trip in WY a few weeks ago and it was awesome. We saw winds forecasted up to 40-50 mph and snow/sleet. It slept 2 of us in cots and a small table/chair with a Knico AK jr stove with some room to move around. I am really looking forward to using this tent in the fall. I fit the tent/poles/stakes/ground tarp in a 27 gal tote (standard black and yellow Home Depot storage tote). I also have a SO Cimarron with stove that I really like, but this tent is a game changer for comfort when truck camping.
Did you ever wish you had the back window installed ?

BCSojourner

Lil-Rokslider
Ya they are fairly heavy, I think a good chunk of that is the sewn in floor and heavier canvas. They have some cool features and I think for a family car camping/base camp tent would probably be happy.
No, I don't think my horses will care much either way but I am being careful not to get on that "slippery slope" of well just packing more because I can with horses ha.
I have considered the Seek Outside Courthouse pretty seriously and almost bought it on their blemish sale last week but the Divide tents are just so much more well thought out I really like that there is no center pole. I think in scenario's where I want a larger tent the minimal weight penalty is worth it.
I'll likely just run my Cimarron solo with my horses during September this year but want a wall tent for later season and basecamp.
I almost went with a SO Courthouse also a few years back but was already talking with Beau and he told me that he had used several of the Courthouse tents in his llama operation and they did not perform well-lots of wind slap, moisture issues, rain penetration on sides during storms etc. He was in the process at the time of developing the Divide series tents with Snow Trekker and I happened to be at his place picking up a llama when the first prototype Continental (13x13) arrived. We set it up together in about 15 minutes and I was immediately sold on it and began talking with Jonah at Snow Trekker. Purchased the first one available once they were in production, equivalent I think to their current 13x13 mega crew pro-screen model (specs appear the same). I also wanted a heavier duty floor which I had custom made to fit the 13x13 footprint. That was 3 years ago and I haven't looked back. Don't think you can go wrong with Snow Trekker. I have had mine in some pretty fierce wind/rain storms at 10,000 ft and they don't budge a bit. The guy-out system is minimal but ingenious, and the frame is lightweight and very strong. Pricey but worth every penny.

I've been testing out the Mtn Den and love the overall design. First time setting it up took 15 minutes going at a very leisurely pace. The simplicity is fantastic.

For solo or 2 people the Mtn Den is fantastic. It looks like I might have 3 people more than I though, so even though it's not too often, I'm leaning towards the 11.5x11.5 Bundock. My pack string plans also evolved from just 1 pack animal to likely having 2, as i recently came across some awesome half drafts and a yearling mule I couldn't pass up.

Attachments

• IMG_2415.jpeg
    IMG_2415.jpeg
    58.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2414.jpeg
    IMG_2414.jpeg
    98.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2407.jpeg
    IMG_2407.jpeg
    101.3 KB · Views: 26

Split toe

WKR
How is everybody enjoying these?

I went ahead and placed and order for Divide series Bundok as I will usually only have 3 people with me however I am wondering if I should have opted for the bigger Continental model. The other reason I went with Bundok is it will fit in panniers on a horse.