lightweight canvas hot tents

nickstone

WKR
I’ve had mine since last summer but never encountered any extreme weather using it in the field. I set it up in my front yard last week to see how it does. We’ve been having a good mix of rain, snow, and sleet in the Sierras. So far no leaks and the snow was on the side pretty good, but I’ll prob pick up a fly when a light version becomes available, just as an added protection. Sorry for the crappy pics.A7E0C384-03F1-49C7-BC8B-2FD90CBC5406.jpegFF1E2447-1DFA-4040-A663-46B12009DA84.jpeg

Anyone with the High Country 11x11? Don’t need the pannier packable frame or else I’d get Beau’s version of the tent.

Saw a video of a 9.5x9.5. Looked cramped between one cot, firewood and a dog bed.

Last edited:
I felt the same way it looked cramped. I didnt need the pannier packable version either. After talking with Jonah I ordered the 11x11 about a month ago. I should be seeing it any day. I’ll post pics when I get it.

Cool thread. Does anyone have first hand experience owning or using one of these compared to an Arctic Oven?

I've heard awesome things about them too, with price being often the deterrent, though it's in a similar range as these WR/Snowtrekkers, with the Extreme 10 sounding a bit similar specs to the Bundok. it's a smaller floor footprint but seems like the steep walls go higher so might not be such a big difference in livable space...?

ben@bpetersondds

Lil-Rokslider
For a goat packer like myself, the 11x11 is probably the sweet spot. The canvass weighs 18.5 so min of a 45lb load with saddle. The 13x13 might be pushing limits for more demanding trips.

I think this tent would be awesome but I would have to sell my eight man Seek tipi to fund it. Hate to do that. Is there any purpose the tipi would have if I got a Wilderness canvas tent, other than just being a little lighter?

Last edited:

DWD

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve owned a snowtrekker 10x13 outfitter since 2014. Used many times winter camping and for a few elk hunts. It’s a good size for 2 guys on cots, but you could squeeze 3 in a pinch. It will fit 4 on sleeping pads in the winter.

I heat with a four dog titanium stove, the larger of the two. Size wise it’s adequate but burn times are not super long. The stove jack is out the corner, and not ideal. The new stove jack location on the wilderness ridge tents I much prefer.

When I purchased the tent, they had the old style guy line tie outs with the rubber sleeve that the pole slides through and these suck. When there is any moisture from snow or rain the pole sticks to the rubber and makes it hard to get the pole in or out. They have since come out with the plastic guy out clip and they work wonderful. I would highly suggest updating your guy outs if you have an older tent. All new tents come with the new clips.

One other suggestion would be if ordering new, to get the stove jack hole cover as add on. It is nice if not using the stove, to be able to cover that hole up.

Overall I would buy another snowtrekker. The tent and poles weigh around 33 lbs, and the pole bag is around 36” so it transports very easily. The tent will fit in a 27 gal yellow and black Home Depot plastic tote. The four dog stove also fits in the same size tote with room for floor tarp and a few other items. It’s very convenient to throw in the truck for a trip. I do like the revised design of the wilderness ridge tents and would buy one of those models if purchasing another.

Any updated pics and impressions of the Snowtrekker / WRTL tents after this 2023 hunting season?

Anyone packing them in year round vs. just in fall/winter when would use the stove?

thx

s

ben@bpetersondds

Lil-Rokslider
I used the 9.5x9.5 Mt Den on a five day elk hunting trip using my goats. We had three guys on pads, SO large stove and used a large tarp as a vestibule. The tent was a little tight and would have been too small without the vestibule. Overall, it was really comfortable, easy to set up and withstood several inches of snow and wind no problem.

My dilemma now is what size to purchase. I’m reluctant to buy the larger Boondock because it’s going to push one of my goats to near 50 pounds and we have a very difficult pack to get to our spot. If it was even a moderate pack or I was using a llamas, it would be a no-brainer… Boondock or Continental.

Was thinking about building a mountain den with two doors so could use two vestibules and the fly as well. It would allow to stash away a lot of gear, but not clutter the inside.

Attachments

• IMG_3149.jpeg
    IMG_3149.jpeg
    589.1 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_4685.jpeg
    IMG_4685.jpeg
    132.8 KB · Views: 51
I have about 40 nights in the Mountain Den. I really like the size and weight, perfect for pack goats. But it's been leaking bad in the snow and rain. Make sure you bring a tarp. I talked to Beau he said I need to retreat the canvas, I have a early version of the tent.

I will say 6oz canvas is VERY lightweight and might not hold up to severe weather. I will report back after the late season.
1bc333452566b220f0e73efe5826ec3b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Hi Ryan,

Did you ever get that review out?

Very curious how this size realistically works out with a stove/wood then two guys on 30" sleeping pads?

Seems like if pads set up like an "L" then they'd be right up to the edge of the tent, but that's just theory. I'm also sensitive to be next to for past condensation on single wall nylon tipi. With these tents can you actually sleep with side of bag or head of sleeping bag touching the sides without issue?

Thx

ben@bpetersondds

Lil-Rokslider
Hi Ryan,

Did you ever get that review out?

Very curious how this size realistically works out with a stove/wood then two guys on 30" sleeping pads?

Seems like if pads set up like an "L" then they'd be right up to the edge of the tent, but that's just theory. I'm also sensitive to be next to for past condensation on single wall nylon tipi. With these tents can you actually sleep with side of bag or head of sleeping bag touching the sides without issue?

Thx
The Mt Den would be plenty big for two and a stove. Palace. No issues experienced with condensation. We all slept against sidewalls and condensation was not an issue.

birdman1

FNG
I used an Esker 10x10 for 8 days this fall. Had a light rain but nothing significant. Used the sprinkler in the yard every day for a week prior and it didn't leak at that time but it wasn't sustained either. 2 cots and the stove with room to spare. It sure beat sleeping on the ground! Only positive to say with that short sample.
IMG_0025.jpeg