lightweight canvas hot tents

JA03

FNG
Just spoke with Jonah at snow trekker. I think I’m going to pull the trigger on the 11x11. Seems about the right size for a fairly mobile pack in camp.

BCSojourner

Lil-Rokslider
I have the 13x13 Continental and I pack with llamas. It fits fine in a pannier but to save that space, I purchased a top-pack from Davis tent and awning that unzips like a suitcase and allows for real easy packing in any weather. Canvas weighs in at 22 lbs and top-packing over top of two light pannier loads works like a champ. This tent is a palace for 3 with 3 cots, stove, gear, etc. It breathes very well and does not leak-we had an incredible storm come in and pound us at 10,000 ft right after setup (we did not have the fly over it at the time)-not a drop got through. You can also string paracord inside the length of the A-frame to suspend you bows on hooks and still walk under them as it has a 9.5 fty height at the ridgeline. It also holds heat very well. The door is a one-hand operation and the guy-outs are minimal. It can be set up in under 15 minutes. I talked extensively with Jonah at Snotrekker as this was in development and I visited with Beau and helped him set up the first 13x13 prototype at his place-just happened to be there picking up a llama when it arrived. If you have stock this tent can't beat. I have been packing since 1998 with llamas and I have used a Davis tent (3-section wall tent made for llama packing) and an SO 12-man tipi. I think I have finally found the perfect tent. Not cheap but then you get what you pay for and the experiences while using this tent are priceless, and I have never been more comfortable in the back country no matter the weather that CO can throw at us!

1675372027529.jpeg

I pulled the trigger on a 11x11 high country snow trekker last night. I'll report back in when I get it in 3-4 weeks. I don't have stock but it looks like a great tent for my uses. It's light enough I will probably throw it in my back pack if I'm only a mile or 2 from the truck

BCSojourner

Lil-Rokslider
What stove are you running in the 13x13?
I'm running a stainless steel Gstove from Norway. It is basically a smaller, more packable (with stock) version of a Cylinder stove. It has racks on each side and a water tank w/faucet that hugs the pipe at the back of the stove. Incredible build quality that is pretty airtight and heats the 13x13 very well. Heavier than Beau's Riley stove but packs easier in a pannier and a bunch of accessories available for truck camping (oven, drying rack, etc.). I made my own flip-type spark arrestor that goes in the pipe right above the damper so I didn't have to mess with constantly pulling the pipe down and cleaning out a top-mounted one. I simply bought one from SO and cut it down slightly around the edges to fit my pipe. Works like a charm and the stove drafts better as well.

TXCO

WKR
Heres a youtube video of the tents if you havent seen it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
wasatchcomm
I got my hands on a Continental and set it up today. Its huge!!! Waaay bigger than it looks in pictures. Im really impressed with it
ya I thought the continental looked good,, they are much bigger than you would think,, sidewalls and ridge pole make the footprint huge and so much more usable space....
I have been using tyvek floor just to save a little weight vs the floor it comes with,, but the floor that comes with it is very very very nice, heavier than tyvek,, but I was pinching weight where I could,, im adding 2 more llamas this spring so I will take the floor this year...

Last edited:

bmart2622

WKR
With this tent I can pack an entire camp for 2 guys on 1 horse. Thats tent, frame, stove, cots, pads, and sleeping bags. Potentially extra clothes and food depending on how light we wanted to go on food

bmart2622

WKR
3 cots, stove, and an area to cook as well as space for gear under the cots and wood storage around the stove is very doable and comfortable. Set up is easy, Ive set it up twice now and I can have it up in around 15 minutes solo. The removable floor is nice and I like the way you can tie it in. The stakes it comes with are the best I have used. Im very impressed with it!! Its the best option for truck/atv camping while still being light enough and packbale enough with stock.

bmart2622

WKR
If space became an issue you could easily run a set of disco cots in the middle where I have the green sleeping pad and have an even bigger kitchen area