Are canvas tents *that* much cooler in hot weather?

dutch_henry

Lil-Rokslider
For those of you who own both nylon tents and canvas tents, could you compare and contrast their comfort in hot weather? I already have solid 6 man dome tent which serves me well. Except that it turns into an oven in direct sun.

For hunting and fishing I'm out the door before that happens. But on family trips, that means no nap for our toddler. And truth be told, I think something like a kodiak flex-bow would set up waaaay faster than my cabelas instinct alaskan guide.

Superdoo

WKR
In my experience, both are freakin hot. This summer I am going to try using a nylon tarp to create a layer of shade for my bell tent. I'm hoping that will cool it off a bit.

Canvas is definitely cooler. While both are miserable in direct sunlight, this last summer over Memorial Day, there was a noticeable difference in temperatures between my wall tent and the couple of nylon tents setup by my kids

OP
dutch_henry

dutch_henry

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks all. Sounds like I need to get with the program.

Next question is one Rokslide can't help me on. What to say to wife when she discovers another yet another tent in our basement.

sndmn11

WKR
Thanks all. Sounds like I need to get with the program.

Next question is one Rokslide can't help me on. What to say to wife when she discovers another yet another tent in our basement.
Probably just flip it around and ask her why the heck she is messing around in the basement and you need a safe space for being you.

#secretstomaritalsuccess

sneaky

"DADDY"
Just tell her "retail therapy". She'll understand

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I understand that in these woke times we’re not allowed to mention color.

But based upon personal experience, a darker object usually will absorb more heat than a lighter object.

Nylon tents tend to be darker and canvas tents tend to be lighter.

Been just as miserable from the heat in a hammock as in a nylon tent as in a Kodiak.

young7.3

WKR
We use an older 10x20 montana canvas tent and when it gets to 70-80 in sept the interior is probably 5-15 degrees hotter. But we just keep the doors open and the window in the back open and its comfortable again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Canvas is definitely cooler. While both are miserable in direct sunlight, this last summer over Memorial Day, there was a noticeable difference in temperatures between my wall tent and the couple of nylon tents setup by my kids
Agreed. I’ve had both and canvas has a cooler temp in the heat. Sure are heavy
Though.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Cooler? Not by much. More breathable? 100%. Nylon tents are the perfect embodiment of full body swamp ass when it's hot. Canvas breathes so much better.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Having lived in tents most of my adult life, I have a dome tent that is much cooler during the summer as long as I leave the cover off.