lightweight canvas hot tents

wyodan

WKR
Ya I’m wondering the same thing…they’re cheaper but look the same …
Snowtrekker's tent does not have the floor and the poles do not break down as short. Otherwise, it is basically the same model. I have the snowtrekker version.

The main difference between them is Beau's has standard stove jack cover,
door Velcro for adding the optional screen door or clear door, pannier
packable frame (ours will not fit in a pannier), lightweight nylon ground
tarp that can be attached to the tent. Snow Trekker ground tarp is twice the weight
and does not attach to the base of the tent.

The difference is the wilderness ridge tent is designed to fit into a pannier. Snowtrekkers versions pole system is too long. Beau designed an amazing tent for the horse,llama, goat packer.

WyoHuntr

FNG
Very helpful thread! I was just looking into this. I go a lighter route packing into the mountains (Hilleberg Nallo GT4 converted to hot tent). But my remote base camp needs to lighten up so that I can pack all my feed in one trip!

I wonder what Wilderness Ridge is using for flooring? It is significantly lighter than what SnowTrekker has on their website.

bmart2622

WKR
I wish I could get a better idea of the interior space on the Continental. It looks like maybe the head room might be limited. Looking for something for 3 cots, stove and some kitchen space

OP
wasatchcomm
Ive had 8 man tipi redclif, LBO, Cimarron, all great shelters,, but with llamas now I will sell all those, use the 11x11 I got from WTRL ,, side walls and 11' of standing room is worth the weight,,,, the Riley stove recommended from WTRL is also worth every single LB, my setup is around 40lbs, so one llama carries it all, the room and comfort with this combination is incredible, also with the wood stove if its going to be cold and using it often , taking a jet boil or MSR is not needed, that Riley stove will boil water in minutes...to me its worth the weight. also for daytime naps, this being my first canvas tent,, they dont get hot like a nylon tipi ,, they stay the same as outside temps, which was also a huge +
like I said I will sell all my tipis and what not
this will be my main hunting camp tent,, I will buy a large dome style tent with floor for summer early fall trips when stove is not required but I want it tall enough to stand in that will be my setups ,,I will also gladly pack a tarp to cover it for a lot of rain, to me its worth it

OneSkinnyHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Ive had 8 man tipi redclif, LBO, Cimarron, all great shelters,, but with llamas now I will sell all those, use the 11x11 I got from WTRL ,, side walls and 11' of standing room is worth the weight,,,, the Riley stove recommended from WTRL is also worth every single LB, my setup is around 40lbs, so one llama carries it all, the room and comfort with this combination is incredible, also with the wood stove if its going to be cold and using it often , taking a jet boil or MSR is not needed, that Riley stove will boil water in minutes...to me its worth the weight. also for daytime naps, this being my first canvas tent,, they dont get hot like a nylon tipi ,, they stay the same as outside temps, which was also a huge +
like I said I will sell all my tipis and what not
this will be my main hunting camp tent,, I will buy a large dome style tent with floor for summer early fall trips when stove is not required but I want it tall enough to stand in that will be my setups ,,I will also gladly pack a tarp to cover it for a lot of rain, to me its worth it
Any pictures 😀

OP
wasatchcomm
I posted pic in this thread. look on page 2,,,
im sure I can get 4 on pads very comfortably with the stove inside
my wife and I and dog in it had plenty of room for all our gear panniers, and 3 days worth of wood stacked inside as well, with cots Id guess 3 would be max, but on pads plenty of room for 4 adults

something to remember with these is the sidewalls make these shelters all usable, not so with a tipi, not even close, the no condensation and the insulation factor also play a big role,, if you have pack animals its a no brainer,, the nylon tarps and such have their place but with pack animals these shelters are a game changer,, expensive but worth it in my opinion... pack a tarp to cover it if a lot of rain/.snow are in forecast

OP
wasatchcomm
So unlike a tipi, you can still have adequate headroom/standing room even when not in the center?
yes,,its a big difference,, the sidewalls alone make a huge difference,, then add the 11' of Ridgeline, you can have 4-5 guys standing at same time, dont get me wrong the tipi design is awesome especially for the light weight hot tents on your back, but if you have animals goats or anything larger, im not sure why you would want a tipi, unless you are solo, I can see that,, but if 2 or more I personally wont spend any time in one,, I spent about 25 days in a red cliff/uTurn stove this year, (will be FOR SALE soon) with one other person at a time, its plenty of room for 2, but the comfort level is not even close. the guys that have the WTRL tents or similar wall tents know what im talking about , the little Riley stove in the tent is a game changer too, you just have to experience it..

pic is my hunting partner and I in a red cliff with u turn, we did have 2 lightweight chairs in it as well, and all our gear and the llamas panniers inside, we had plenty of room for sure, but its tight getting dressed or moving around, we did experience about 4" of snow the one night and it held up just fine, the stove kept uw warm and dry, and kept all gear dry as well,, but we also spent a lot of time in it with bad weather and it got old pretty quick, the new tent will be much more comfortable to hang out in

Attachments

• 68634190065__13ED2795-4AB8-4B9D-A1A8-5426BA48CEC2.jpeg
    68634190065__13ED2795-4AB8-4B9D-A1A8-5426BA48CEC2.jpeg
    352.2 KB · Views: 91

bmart2622

WKR
No doubt its roomier, Its just hard to pull the trigger on it not seeing it in person. Its right on the edge size wise for me.

OP
wasatchcomm
ya I hear ya, he has one size bigger 13x13 I think, I know in mine 11x11 id be fine with 4 adults on pads in it, and it would be more roomy than a tipi same , you could lay next to wall and still sit straight up on these on all 4 sides, how is it on the edge size wise?weight? or?

bmart2622

WKR
Looking for something for 3 guys on cots with a stove and still have some room to hangout and cook during hunting season and then use it for family camping in the summer. Im looking at the continental

JA03

FNG
It would be nice if Beau or Snowtrekker did an in depth video of the 13x13 continental or the mega crew.

OP
wasatchcomm
are you packing this in ? snow trekker outfitter is a good size tent that is fairly light actually,
they also have the mega crew,, however I think I can do 3 on cots in mine, and still have room to sit around a bit, with bunk bed cots I could easily do 3 people,, but I would never pack cots in personally.
I have a very nice big pad ive used both the lux thermorest which is very comfortable, used it down to 10 degrees, and I have the exped megamat , its about 6lbs but very much worth it, ultimate comfort, lighter than pad and cot, and more comfortable than cot IMO