Lightweight Backpack Recommendations

JPM8765

FNG
I am looking to do my first archery elk hunt this fall and would like some advice on packs. I have done some research, but I would like to see what you guys use. Any advice would be appreciated.

BarCO

Lil-Rokslider
I use a new ultra SO 4800 Unaweep, it is super light, comfortable and heavy loads are not an issue.

There are a couple good pack shootout reviews-posts here. The sesrch function works well here. Also, look at the reviews section.

Welcome.

agree with what others have posted. Seek outside and stone glacier make some lightweight haulers. Both are $$$ though. If you don’t need the latest and greatest maybe troll the for sale ads a while. You might pick up a Nice deal.

Paladin

Elk Masher Wannabe
Definitely the SG and SO mentioned above are at the top of the list. EXO is not the heaviest pack out there and it carries well for sure. The EXO fits me best and it's what I use most. There may be a few used K2 and K3's for sale her pretty soon. I have packed out elk and deer with a Kuiu Pro LT and for the money its a decent lightweight option, very lightweight.

Many modern packs are of reasonable weight. Weight would be way down on my list for pack selection, with weight carrying comfort being number one selection criterion. I would research the most comfortable and go from there for other selection variables.

Last edited:

nobody

WKR
Stone glacier owns the market for lightweight to performance ratio. There’s lighter packs on the market but you give up functionality. SG doesn’t compromise in order to cut weight. Kurt Racicot, the guy who started the company, built them specifically for solo alpine sheep hunting. They had to be light and they had to perform. That was in 2012, they seem to have figured out the formula.

I use their Evo 40/56 on an X Curve frame with straight stays, and I love the thing. Been very very very impressed and would buy another without thinking twice.

I tried xcurve SG, Exo K3, Kifaru DL and HPG a couple years ago. The final 2 were SG and Exo. I liked the Exo bag better but the SG just hauls weight better for me. It’s just clearly set up with what you need to get in and get out.

I own two Kifaru frames and a SO peregrine 3500 frame and bag.

I can put a custom bag on my Kifaru tactical frame and be under 6 pounds. I can be close to 5 pounds with the same bag on my Kifaru lite frame. I am under 5 pounds with the SO kit.

Kifaru’s frame weights are close to if not as light as others on stand alone weights. However, Kifaru setups pick up their extra weight in the bags that attach to their frames.

I am looking to do my first archery elk hunt this fall and would like some advice on packs. I have done some research, but I would like to see what you guys use. Any advice would be appreciated.
My suggestions would be exo, stone glacier, and seek outside, they all make great, lightweight packs… from there it comes down to features and fit, fit is difficult unless you can wear them, but that’s not very easy. The nice thing about high end packs is that you can try them and get most of your money back if it doesn’t work out.

The best fitting of those 3 may be the worst fitting on you, so I can’t suggest which I think is the best for you

Trial153

WKR
There is only two real choices. Stone glacier and seek outside. Both will do absolutely anything that any other hunting specific pack will do and be lighter in the process.

Lots of good choices mentioned above. I've got a seek (a fortress 6200) that I'm very happy with. That said, the only real way to decide if you prefer SG to SO or vise versa (or other options) is to try them on....which can be a bit of a PITA. Good luck - very fortunate there are so many great options out there these days!

pcrossett

FNG
Depending on how long you plan on staying out hunting vs car camping I would suggest the SG Evo 3300, just under 4 lbs for the bag & frame. Great for a couple of days in the backcountry and you can always add more space by expanding out the load shelf and putting a dry bag between the frame and the pack. Their load cell bag is ~40 liters so you can 1.75x your carrying capacity pretty quickly using that.

thewoods

FNG
I really like my exo pack. packed out many animals with it and for having a bad back it feels great and doesn't bother my back with the weight

I've had good luck with a Kuiu Ultra 6000, packed out many animals with it, with loads up to 110lb. Have torn it up a few times, but Kuiu always sends me replacement parts no questions. Can find them for probably 1/2 the cost of a SG. That said, if I needed a new pack, I would probably be looking hard at the SG and SO packs. Packs, boots and sleeping bags are all worth spending the extra money to get the best you can.

ReaptheHeat

Lil-Rokslider
I've run a SG Archer (6300?) with the Krux frame since 2017. I picked up a Unaweep 4800 this summer to replace it. The SG is a tank of a system. I've logged hundreds of miles and many dozen nights backpacking and hunting with it. Absolutely no tears or broken zippers. I did have one buckle plastic buckle break that I replaced.

I use my packs for both hunting and backpacking and like to get to know one system well.

SO and SG have very similar design philosophies; be light and minimalist. If you like lots of pockets and access then these packs aren't for you. I'd definitely look at an Exo if weight wasn't as big of a factor for you for extra pockets,etc.

SO packs are a little more expensive, but also lighter than SG in general. SO also are "waterproof" (not sure if SG offers that now in their fabrics).

SO have gatekeeper buckles vs the traditional ones. User preference, but I dislike the gatekeepers so far.