Lightweight Backcountry 6.5 Creed Rifles Under $1000

Whisky

WKR
No complaints with my Hells Canyon Speed in 6.5cm. Put the Mcarbo trigger spring in it, and it shoots the factory ELD-X very well.
I shot with a guy last night with the same rifle and ammo, and I was very impressed.

Could you give me an explanation of how you bed one? I have a friend that wants me to bed his because our local gunsmiths are too slammed. I’ve turned him away because I’m just not comfortable. Do you effectively glue the lug in place in the stock with bedding compound? And then leave the top half exposed, covered in release agent so that it fits in the slot on the receiver? Or? A general description of the process would be appreciated.

And yes it was a .300 wm several years old where it looked like that lug had gone through the garbage disposal! That metal on metal and the difficulty bedding (or at least the foreign nature of the process to me) has just turned me off that floating lug design. Please enlighten me as to the advantages of that design over a fixed or sandwiched lug. I just don’t understand it.
Tikkas are really easy to bed
I put a couple layers of tape around the barrel at the front of the stock so that after bedding the barrel sits just a bit above the mid line
Rough up and relieve wherever you want epoxy
Put epoxy in the usual places and a small dab in the recoil lug mortice in the stock
Lightly do up the action screws to pull it all together
89D6B412-A46D-48C5-B99C-7B4534227871.jpeg74F502FD-5D26-41B1-8113-FFC50DE16567.jpeg

Tikkas are really easy to bed
I put a couple layers of tape around the barrel at the front of the stock so that after bedding the barrel sits just a bit above the mid line
Rough up and relieve wherever you want epoxy
Put epoxy in the usual places and a small dab in the recoil lug mortice in the stock
Lightly do up the action screws to pull it all together
View attachment 343444View attachment 343445
Awesome pictures and write up. I appreciate the info.

Stu

Lil-Rokslider
is that the 3-9 or 6x? how was it at that distance?
6x. I really don't think 6x is too little to center on any of the targets I shoot at (6" paper plates, 10" paper plates, 8" steel, 10" steel) out to that distance. the 9" paper plate I tacked up was more than big enough to center on at that range.

Now, would 10x feel easier? I'd say yes. But I don't see any difference in my group size when shooting at 6x, 10x, or 20x, assuming my target is 1MOA or bigger.

Stu

Lil-Rokslider
Tell me about that butt pad set up. I’m assuming you rigged it up for more straight back recoil?
Correct. Did it for straighter line recoil and a better shoulder/buttpad placement (my spine is a bit kyphotic). Results in less felt recoil and less muzzle rise in recoil. I started experimenting with it after enjoying how the gun handled in a KRG bravo chassis.

I just removed the buttpad, raised it up some, and screwed it back on at that position.

The tape is just taking up space behind the cheek riser. Otherwise, the offset pad sticks out /up and tends to hang up on my quick release pack sling. Not sure its necessary, but I've been playing with it.

I chose silver tape for style points.

Last edited: