Lightest production Grendel AR rifle

Whhood

Lil-Rokslider
What barrel length are you looking for? I have the Larue as well at it is definitely not lightweight. I have a 12” lightweight and it’s so nice, but not sure how you feel about SBRs. I just built a lighter 16” and it’s a lot better than the 18”. I saved almost a pound on the barrel alone. Then to make it better it moves the suppressor a little closer in so that helps a small amount. You could also just find a lightweight upper ready to go. That’s where most of the weight savings are anyway. The lowers are all pretty much the same unless you want to mess with lightweight carriers and buffers. Alexander Arms has this and they go up in price from there.
$1,569.95
6.4 pounds
https://www.alexanderarms.com/product/6-5-grendel-18-hunter-complete-rifle/

OP
S
What barrel length are you looking for? I have the Larue as well at it is definitely not lightweight. I have a 12” lightweight and it’s so nice, but not sure how you feel about SBRs. I just built a lighter 16” and it’s a lot better than the 18”. I saved almost a pound on the barrel alone. Then to make it better it moves the suppressor a little closer in so that helps a small amount. You could also just find a lightweight upper ready to go. That’s where most of the weight savings are anyway. The lowers are all pretty much the same unless you want to mess with lightweight carriers and buffers. Alexander Arms has this and they go up in price from there.
$1,569.95
6.4 pounds
https://www.alexanderarms.com/product/6-5-grendel-18-hunter-complete-rifle/
I am good with an SBR. Actually have an Atheris 12.5" upper coming anytime now. So will be SBRing that lower for that upper (or however that issue is going to shake out).

But for the sake of low/no hassle going state to state was going to go 16". My current upper is an 18".

I wish the AA above was a 16. Regardless that one is a lb lighter than my 18 right now.

Whhood

Lil-Rokslider
I prefer a 16” barrel as well. I wonder if they would build it with a 16” barrel if you called them.

Whhood

Lil-Rokslider
How much does the Atheris 16” rifle with a fluted barrel weigh? They look like a good option for $1100-1200

OP
S
How much does the Atheris 16” rifle with a fluted barrel weigh? They look like a good option for $1100-1200
I'm not sure. Don't think I ever asked them that. I just went with the 12.5" knowing it would be lighter and sufficient for pigs and dogs in thermal range. It was ordered before all the pistol brace hoopla came out. So it's destined for a tax stamp now. Need to figure out what all I have to do. Fun

Carpet Capital Shyster

Lil-Rokslider
So looking for a new "lots and lots of walking, little shooting" AR rifle. Not interested in doing a build at this point. Just looking for suggestions of builders of the lightest complete, reliable, and at minimum hunting accuracy 6.5 Grendel rifles (can be custom builds but want someone who has been around/will be around and stands behind their work). Any suggestions, experiences, and approximate weights if you have them.
Thanks!!

**Would consider a bolt gun too but like a semi auto for coyotes and pigs. So, primarily looking at the AR platform at this point.**
I put a palmetto upper on a spikes upper and it shakes out to maybe 6.6-6.7 lbs without scope and mag. I like it. Can’t remember if it’s 18” or 20”.

Carpet Capital Shyster

Lil-Rokslider
I put a palmetto upper on a spikes upper and it shakes out to maybe 6.6-6.7 lbs without scope and mag. I like it. Can’t remember if it’s 18” or 20”.
Forgot to add, if you’re not wedded to the Grendel, Ruger has put out a small frame AR in 308 called the SFAR. It supposedly weighs around 6.8 lbs which is pretty miraculous. I’d wait until they iron out all the bumps but I will probably be getting one once they do.

OP
S
Forgot to add, if you’re not wedded to the Grendel, Ruger has put out a small frame AR in 308 called the SFAR. It supposedly weighs around 6.8 lbs which is pretty miraculous. I’d wait until they iron out all the bumps but I will probably be getting one once they do.
Just saw a video on that. I might do the same after a year or so as well.

Whhood

Lil-Rokslider
I just weighed mine.

-18” Larue is 7.63 pounds bare rifle with no muzzle device.

-16” home build is 6.46 pounds bare rifle with no muzzle device.

-12” home build is 6 pounds bare rifle with no muzzle.

Whhood

Lil-Rokslider
Oh yeah for sure. I’ve built a few 4 pounders but these are standard builds with hunting in mind. The lightweights are great but I prefer around 6 pounds to hunt with. They are better all around for carrying and settling down for shots for me. But I don’t walk far either.

OP
S
I've got a 16" home build that's 4.95lb, 6.54lb with optics. At least that's what's in my notes.
If you wouldn't mind sharing the notes that'd be great. Not sure I'm up for a build but will keep the notes for future reference. 👍👍

OP
S
Oh yeah for sure. I’ve built a few 4 pounders but these are standard builds with hunting in mind. The lightweights are great but I prefer around 6 pounds to hunt with. They are better all around for carrying and settling down for shots for me. But I don’t walk far either.
Appreciate the numbers post. Wish it wasn't such a trek but that's the way this hunt is. This will be a spot and stalk or rather walk a lot, spot and stalk. I.e. pig hunting that you can't bait or hunt at night and I don't live close to it so I have to do lots of looking and a little shooting when/if I find them. (First time I did it had about a 12lber I was carrying for 4 days. It got old real fast...)

Grundy53

WKR
If you wouldn't mind sharing the notes that'd be great. Not sure I'm up for a build but will keep the notes for future reference.
Building your own is super easy. It seems intimidating before you build your first, but once you do it once, you will wish you did it a long time ago.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

OP
S
Building your own is super easy. It seems intimidating before you build your first, but once you do it once, you will wish you did it a long time ago.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
Well I bought one that was built by someone else and it's been a nightmare. Kinda soured me.... So now I'm pretty leary and tentative about doing so...

ThorM465

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
If you wouldn't mind sharing the notes that'd be great. Not sure I'm up for a build but will keep the notes for future reference. 👍👍
It looks like I have a few blanks and found where I copied my stock in lbm vs ozm, so take that original weight for what it's worth, but it's still light.
UPPER
4.11 lb​
6.5 Grendel Bartlein 16" Nitrided Barrel 720 by Precision Firearms (Manson Reamer)
30 oz​
Surefire SF3P-762-5/8-24 Flash Hider / Suppressor Adapter
SLR Stainless Sentry 7 Clamp On Premium Adjustable Gas Block
1.38 oz​
SLR Black Nitrite Mid Length Gas Tube
0.78 oz​
Spikes Tactical Upper Receiver Billet Upper- Gen II (SAR3)
12.5 oz​
Precision Firearms complete BCG w/Black Nitrate Bolt and melonite carrier
11.6 oz​
Bcm Charging Hndl 5.56Mm/223 Mod4 Bk
1.23 oz​
Spike's Tactical 13.2" SAR3 Rail
8.3 oz​
LOWER
2.21 lb​
Spike's Tactical Lower (Multi) Forged Spider Stripped w/ Bullet Markings
8.4 oz​
Premium Precision Firearms Lower Parts Kit
Magpul MIAD® Grip Kit – AR15/M16 ODG
3.56 oz​
Laser Engraved Magpul Enhanced Trigger Guard - Revelation 6:8
Geissele SSA Super Semi-Automatic Combat Trigger- 4.5LB
Magpul UBR
23.36oz​
Magpul UBR Aluminum Strike Plate
Spikes Tactical T2 Buffer and Spring
OPTICS
1.59 lb​
Nightforce 2.5-10×24 NXS™ COMPACT RIFLESCOPE Mil-R/Mil
17 oz​
Uni-Mount 1.375-Inch High 1-Piece 20MOA Mount 30mm Nightforce A191
Diamondhead D-45 (Swing Sights) Integrated Sighting System

Well I bought one that was built by someone else and it's been a nightmare. Kinda soured me.... So now I'm pretty leary and tentative about doing so...
Get a good barrel from someone with good customer service and a full weight BCG and it's really hard to go wrong from there as long as you stay with reputable brands.