Light weight pants

S

Salmo-Priest

Whats your go to backpacking pant? Legs that unzip at the knee would be nice. Royal Robbins? Mountain Hardware? ExOfficio? Etc?

Light and durable(lol), dependable zippers?

Thanks Guys

huntinrod

Lil-Rokslider
Cabelas Microtex....they wear like iron...great pant for the $$$

armyjoe

Super Moderator
Kuhl! These are AWESOME pants! The Rapr is the hiking pant I use most now. Has 5% spandex so it stretches when hiking steep slopes. Love them!! They also make a "convertible " Rapr too if you want the shorts option

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Columbia Arubas!!! Used them for years prior to trying out Sitka, Kuiu, and more....used them again last month over some other pants I have to hike it...confirmed that I still love 'em and might use them again all fall!!! So lightweight and a simply merino baselayer when it gets a bit chilly is much warmer than the Kuiu attacks, but much more refreshing to hike in blistering 70-80 weather than Kuiu Attacks as well.

Shrek

WKR
hike in blistering 70-80 weather

Your so funny ! I'm in the mid 90's here and the poor souls in the southwest are well into the triple digits ! Blistering 70-80 degree weather ! I know that is hot to you up in Alaska but from here "blistering 70-80 weather sounds like paradise :) .

TEmbry

WKR
Been using my Kuiu Tiburon pants for the past week or two in New Mexico.

Favorite pant I've come across yet.

weaver

WKR
Are any of these hiking pants quiet enough for bowhunting? I ordered a pair of mountain hardware pants and had to sent them back. Fit was awesome but they were WAY to loud.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Are any of these hiking pants quiet enough for bowhunting? I ordered a pair of mountain hardware pants and had to sent them back. Fit was awesome but they were WAY to loud.

I've stalked with in 20 yards of caribou I've killed or video killed on 4 different caribou, 3 9" billies within 40 yards (took the biggest of the bunch). 40 yards from a moose my buddy shot, and shot my black bear at 12 yards all while wearing the Columbia Arubas. I don't find them any louder than my Kuiu Attack pants.

Last edited:

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Your so funny ! I'm in the mid 90's here and the poor souls in the southwest are well into the triple digits ! Blistering 70-80 degree weather ! I know that is hot to you up in Alaska but from here "blistering 70-80 weather sounds like paradise :) .

HAHA yeah I would straight up melt down there!!!

weaver

WKR
Thanks Luke. Might have to try a pair. Have some Kryptek Valhallas on order. Ill probably wait and see how i like those.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Thanks Luke. Might have to try a pair. Have some Kryptek Valhallas on order. Ill probably wait and see how i like those.

If you already have the new 2013 Vahallas on order stick with that. I'm sure they'll be pretty awesome, in fact I have some coming as well. But I'll likely continue to use teh Columbias on non-hunting hiking trips to get more life out of the Vahallas.

OP
S

Salmo-Priest

Luke do the Columbia pants run true to size?

Thanks

brianincc

FNG
I really like the arcteryx rampart. They run a little larger than they say. I typically wear a 36" waist and can wear the rampart in a 34. They have quite a bit of stretch in them and just feel good.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Luke do the Columbia pants run true to size?

Thanks

For me yeah. I am just about a medium in everything and they seem to fit right for me in size medium. Don't get me wrong there are likely better options. I'm I'm a fan of elastic for comfort, plus it gives ya "room to grow" ;)

Vandal 44

WKR
I am really liking the KUIU Tiburon pant. I went on a 20 mile mountain bike ride in them to check out a few elk hunting spots today. The temp was 86* and I stayed fairly cool. I have used them on several trips so far and have been very happy. I like the way the stretch, these pants are a 2 way stretch great for going over downed trees or climbing. There's not much I would change about these pants

TheRambler

Lil-Rokslider
I am probably the odd ball out here, but I rock a kilt. Absolutely love it. I use the MH elkommando kilt. One of my best purchases ever.

bighouse31

Lil-Rokslider
Check out OR Furossi pants 4way stretch good DWR. I have been happy with them so far