Lifetime Hunting License?

Azone

WKR
How many of you on here have purchased one and for what state?
I’m considering buying them for my wife and I in CA to ease up the annual sting of applying here years down the road.

CorbLand

WKR
I have done some really stupid stuff in life but the dumbest decision I ever made was not buying mine when I was an Idaho resident. Just ******* buy it.

If you live in Idaho and you, and all your kids don't own one, change that today.

They are 275 bucks for a kid 0-1 and 375 for 2-50. That is two to three years of nonresident licenses to pay off at current prices and its never gone down. Just do it, don't be stupid.

You never know where life will take you. I moved away with the plan to be back in 5 years, its been 12.

Thank you for attending my TED talk.

Last edited:

sram9102

WKR
The did away with them in IN before I was old enough to really be thinking about it. Youth licenses were $7 annually. I kick myself every time I buy licenses for the year, also wish I had bought one for the brief time I was a TN resident. Unless you are planning to move away and never come back to hunt again I cannot see it ever being a bad decision.

BBob

WKR
Arizona Lifetime here. I bought it way way back and it's paid for itself now multiple times over. I didn't have much $$$ then but I thought it would be worth it in the long run especially if I moved out of state. In my extended group I'm the only one that has one and several have voiced regret to not having purchased one when I did. I was actually teased about it being silly and not worth it but no one anticipated the fee increases over the years. Very convenient that I have the same number year after year for applications. It attracts attention when I use it at the local office or the rare event that I get checked in the field. I get the feeling not many have bought them and certainly not many of the early ones.

Last edited:

bsnedeker

WKR
I thought about buying one before I moved out of MN, but figured the odds of me wanting to come back to hunt it fish when I live in MT were slim to none.

If they had the option here in MT it would be a no brainer.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

MThuntr

WKR
I really wish I did before I left home. It would have paid for itself in like 3 years of pheasant hunting and fishing

Dad bought me one as an infant in my home state- 200$. Has payed for itself multiple times over- and will really come in handy if ever move away.

Last edited:

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
My son, wife and I have one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have mine for WY and it was a high school graduation present from my parents. Includes small game, upland bird, fishing and the conservation stamp needed to hunt here. It was really great for the first year after I moved back as I didn't have to buy non resident for the small stuff

Clarkdale17

Lil-Rokslider
My old man bought one for me in NY when I was born. It's nice to have if I ever want to go home and hunt with the family if you move away like I did.

If the financials work out I would do it. I plan on buying them for my kids if I have them in whatever state we're living in.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Buy as noted one of my few bad decisions 30plus years ago for Idaho my brother did and I kick myself every year…🥲

For me it depends on the state and what it includes. If I can get all my tags every year I will buy one...I have WV and NC, got both as a R before I moved. I dont have one here in SC because last time I checked it didn't include big game, deer and turkey, or salt water. Just small game and freshwater fishing...what's the point of getting a lifetime license if I still have to go in every year and buy big game license. So I do the 3 yr combo license here in SC, they include big game.

Another word of warning like most laws it can be changed with the stroke of a pen...when I got my NC lifetime license you didn't need a saltwater recreation fishing license, wasnt required didnt exist...about 7 or so yrs after my purchase they implemented a saltwater license and did not make retro active...so now I have to buy a 10 day NR saltwater fishing license everytime I fish the NC coast, but I still get a bear tag every year so it works out.

OP
Azone

Azone

WKR
For those of you that have bought them in CA and moved out of here, what tag fee would you be subjected to if you were lucky enough to draw for elk, sheep and antelope?
Are you locked in for current resident fees on those three species?
I didn’t find any info on this question while reading up on it, just that it comes with one deer tag and five hog tags for life.

Ouzel

FNG
The list for Idaho below, I wish Wyoming would have had the Lifetime small game, bird, fishing available before I moved from there years ago, would have saved me tons of money .
I will buy an Idaho Lifetime combo with senior discounted price when we move back to Wyoming, hopefully this summer .

• Lifetime Certificate / License Fees​

• The following prices are for Adult lifetime licenses (Ages 2 - 50)
      CostAdults
    • $1113.00Lifetime Combination
    • $841.75Lifetime Fishing
    • $386.75Lifetime Hunting
    • The following prices are for Adult lifetime licenses (Ages 0 - 1)
      CostInfants
    • $795.50Lifetime Combination
    • $601.75Lifetime Fishing
    • $276.75Lifetime Hunting
    • The following prices are for Adult lifetime licenses (Ages 51+)
      CostSeniors
    • $636.75Lifetime Combination
    • $481.75Lifetime Fishing
    • $221.75Lifetime Hunting

Bought NC and VA. Worth every penny and both have paid for themselves already.

If I have a son I will be buying him one in a LOT of states while he is an infant.

CodyAK

Lil-Rokslider
I don't have one myself but I did purchase for my son. I highly recommend it.

ez_willie

WKR
Own multiple in MN, just need to live long enough for them to pay off or hope they keep raising prices.

My son was gifted a lifetime license in Idaho when he was born. can't remember the exact cost, but if purchased as an infant the savings are drastic, I think it was under 1k. He is 8 years old right now and he already thinks he's pretty cool because he's a lifer.

edited due to lack of understanding..

Last edited: