Lifetime Hunting License?

SWOHTR

WKR
I'm an Idaho resident, living in Washington with my family located in San Diego, California (thanks Navy!).

My son, daughter, and I all have lifetime Idaho hunting licenses. Not combo/fishing licenses, my reasoning being that the money to buy a lifetime fishing license can also buy a lot of 1-3 day fishing permits.

I will likely buy one for my wife as well, she's a non-hunter as it is, but I don't want her to be left out of all the fun that the kids and I will be having in the future.

WKR

WKR
How many of you on here have purchased one and for what state?
I’m considering buying them for my wife and I in CA to ease up the annual sting of applying here years down the road.
I've been considering this as well as a California resident, I'm just not sure if its really worth it. I know I won't live here much longer but how important is it to keep my resident preference points going for elk, antelope, or sheep. I will never catch up to the max point holders so likelihood of me drawing is extremely low. That leaves deer and bear. It takes 5+ years to draw the X zones i want to hunt. And eventually the libs will ban bear hunting like they did with mountain loins and bobcats.

Rich M

WKR
Im w @CorbLand . I lived in GA for long enough to qualify for a $600 lifetime license. Didnt do it and hunted a lease as NR for 8 years at $330/yr. Ouch!

I have an Arizona Lifetime hunt and fish. I think the break even when I bought it was like 16 years. The benefit for me was not having to have a piece of paper in my wallet anymore that gets buried under my DL. Now I have an actual card and if I ever move out of state, I will stay in the resident pool.

OP
Azone

Azone

WKR
I've been considering this as well as a California resident, I'm just not sure if its really worth it. I know I won't live here much longer but how important is it to keep my resident preference points going for elk, antelope, or sheep. I will never catch up to the max point holders so likelihood of me drawing is extremely low. That leaves deer and bear. It takes 5+ years to draw the X zones i want to hunt. And eventually the libs will ban bear hunting like they did with mountain loins and bobcats.
The points game sucks out here alright. I have enough points to make it worth while for some species to come back when I pull the pin on this dumpster fire.

Reactions: WKR

Historybuff

Lil-Rokslider
I've had my Nebraska lifetime hunting and fishing permits for about 27 years. I got them for Christmas from my dad and definitely have appreciated them over the years. My daughter also has a lifetime hunt and fish combo I got for half price through a nwtf raffle.

My son, daughter and I have them for NY. I'm sure mine has paid for itself by now and my daughter will start seeing her benefits this fall when she turns 12.

Have my okie license,have had it for 20 years,about 400 when i got it and there about double that now.It has paid for itself a few times already.

Scoot

WKR
Bought lifetime sportsman's and archery deer for my son and me and lifetime angling for my wife before we left MN. Didn't figure we'd ever move back to MN. Nine years ago we moved back to MN! But... it paid for itself in less than 3 years as a nonresident.

Mudpuddle

Lil-Rokslider
I don't have one, but I bought both of my kids a lifetime sportsman license in Georgia before they turned 2 when the prices are the cheapest. I've debated getting one for myself. The cost is roughly equivalent to 10 years of licenses.

Z Barebow

WKR
I have MN archery deer and fishing. Bought before I left state. I use mine all the time, but it is because I live close. Additional opportunity for me every year.

Winnie

Lil-Rokslider
I have small game, fishing, and firearms deer in MN. All my kids (3) have them as well. One son has archery deer. I have one son that needs archery deer and then we are all set.

I look at it that it may make the difference between my kids coming back to hunt/fish if they move out of state.

Wellsdw

WKR
My parents got mine in NC before my first b-day. My wife and I are going to begin fostering next month. I told her I plan on using some of The monthly “aid” to save and buy any kids that come through our home fo any length of time, a lifetime, if they show interest. I think that would be something cool they will always have.

Yarak

WKR
Lifetime H&F license in Alabama used to be a great thing but the current regime is finding more ways to make us pay for those rights we thought we already paid for years ago

Tedhunts

FNG
Got the IN Comprehensive Hunting Lifetime License as present from wife in 1994. I think she regets that gift..haha

I have property now, so not as important with landowner exemption, but guess its still paid for itself 10x over. Was such a good deal IN they quit selling them.

MO-CHSPKE

FNG
I have my lifetime Missouri hunting license. Only thing it doesn’t include is a Deer tag and Turkey tag as well as the Federal Duck Stamp. The price is tiered by age. I plan on buying lifetimes for my children. My eldest just turned 13 and did her Hunter’s Safety in a school class. 0-15 is $275 for either Hunting or Fishing or $550 for both. We don’t fish much so I have no reason to spring for that. I’ll just buy the yearly license the every three or four years we go fishing.