Leupold zero retention poll

Have you fallen with, dropped or otherwise bounced around your leupold scope without it losing zero?

• Yes, my leupold scope has held zero

Votes: 25 15.6%
  • Yes, all my leupolds have held zero

Votes: 30 18.8%
  • No, my leupold scope lost zero

Votes: 24 15.0%
  • No, all my leupolds have lost zero

Votes: 18 11.3%
  • Some of my leupolds have lost zero and others haven’t

Votes: 61 38.1%
  • I don’t check my zero

Votes: 2 1.3%

• Total voters
OP
rickyw

rickyw

FNG
Great comments all. The poll is painting a rough outline, though I also realize it’s not that simple.

Last edited:

bigmike23

Lil-Rokslider
Interestingly until this forum I've never heard of anyone ever have issues with the brand. Most I know have VX 2s. I myself have 2 scopes of theres and never had a problem. My father has 6 much older vx3s and never had a problem. A vx3 is currently sitting atop my 460 Wby. Rock solid. My VX5 that I ebiked in on rough terrain attached to the handle bars multiple times this year struck my buck exactly where I aimed.
In regards to the tracking issues, I have no input. I set my scope at X distance and just go hunting. Perhaps people have something there.

Machingeaneer

Lil-Rokslider
Interestingly until this forum I've never heard of anyone ever have issues with the brand.
The first page of the thread that explains the field evals covers this pretty well https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/scope-field-eval-explanation-and-standards.246775/

Many people, like myself until I started reading here, don't know that a reliable aiming system exists. If the scopes do their jobs perfectly, why do so many hunters have to "sight in" their rifle every year?

JGRaider

WKR
The first page of the thread that explains the field evals covers this pretty well https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/scope-field-eval-explanation-and-standards.246775/

Many people, like myself until I started reading here, don't know that a reliable aiming system exists. If the scopes do their jobs perfectly, why do so many hunters have to "sight in" their rifle every year?
I call it "peace of mind", and the ethical thing to do no matter what brand scope you're using.

WKR
If the scopes do their jobs perfectly, why do so many hunters have to "sight in" their rifle every year?
I think that sight-in is the most shooting many hunters do all year, so some practice is better than none. Sometimes it's just for comfort and confidence in the equipment.

Also, they said on the shoot2hunt podcast that some ammo manufacturers allow for as much as 3 moa difference for the same ammo in different lots. Not many hunters buy a pallet of the same lot, so buying a new box of 20 every year or two means checking zero.

Macintosh

WKR
Yep. I also, before I ever leave my driveway, tap the brakes on my truck , get out and check that all brake lights and signals work, check function of seatbelts, wipers, fluids, oil level, coolant level, transmission fluid, and tire pressure and tread wear. I do this every time I drive the vehicle. It’s “peace of mind” and its the ethical thing to do no matter what scope car you’re shooting driving.

No, not really, I dont dont do that stuff every time I drive. In part because I have done it enough at regular intervals to determine how often I need to check it. There is consequence to me and others if my brakes crap out and I drive my truck into a prius as a result. When I drove a school bus I was required to document a series of checks every trip though. Pilots are required to do the same. Because the consequences are HIGH with a bus full of kids, even if the likelihood of the brakes failing since yesterday is very low. Risk=likelihood+ consequence. Its a good point and it is ethical to check this stuff even if you have a brand new vehicle, or a very reliable scope—after all, nothing is perfect. The question I have for @JGRaider is how frequently is enough? If I shoot at least monthly and I know my zero hasnt shifted at all over the last 11 range trips, do I still need to check zero before a hunt? What If I hunt within an hour of home and dont “travel”, and I hunt every weekend between september and january…is it enough to check once in august, or do I need to check before every weekend, since that’s a different “hunt”? If I’ve personally dropped my gun from 3’ multiple times and it didnt shift, used my gun in the field and its sustained a number of small bumps and didnt shift, and its done this multiple times, do I still need to check zero if I accidentally tip it over sitting on a 7” high bipod? Because I agree that regardless, some form of periodic check is still needed…my question is what does that mean (to you, I know what it means for me), and how often does it need to be done, what level of bump should trigger a check, in order for me to keep my “ethical human” card?

My guess is that all of us, regardless of position on this topic, are making the exact same judgement calls on when a check is required, and checking vs non-checking based on when it was last verified, amount of history with the equipment, if it ever had to be adjusted, plus likelihood of a shift and consequences (local everyday hunt 20 min drive from home on paved roads, versus an airline trip and 10 years of saving points), etc. i dont think anyone checks a rifles zero before every day of hunting. I also dont think anyone checks zero after every tiny little bump. If thats true then we’re all making the exact same judgement call about when a check is warranted. Its just that based on prior experience we may land on different timelines and different triggers. We can argue about what the timelines or triggers for a check should be, I just see more similarity in principle than I do difference.

Last edited:

Grundy53

WKR
I call it "peace of mind", and the ethical thing to do no matter what brand scope you're using.
There is a difference between checking zero before season and having to actually re-zero every year. I still check, but since I got rid of my gold rings, I don't have to adjust it back to zero every time I check.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

leachguy

FNG
I don't think I ever really lost zero, but I like to tinker and take my scopes/bases off on occasion. So when I'd put things back together and go shoot, I'd need to zero all over again. I did not dial then, but I always found it odd when I'd dial my Leupolds 4 moa to get back to zero at 100 yards and the impact would only move 1 moa. I completely switched to Trijicons last year and have not had that problem since. When I dial, they track.

I have a Vari-X III 2.5 - 8x that I bought in 1977 to put on my .270 Win. I have never had to change the setting unless I changed ammunition. The scope has always held it's zero.

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
Not a Leupold/holding zero issue but a bunch of years back, We ended up us missing a big bull elk (bull of a lifetime for us) sort of thing with my buddies rifle. Luckily it was a clean miss. Initially blamed ourselves for shit shooting and hung our heads pretty low but the following day discovered the scope base to be loose (again, not a leupold product). When tested at 100 yards, found it to be over 14" off the mark.

Since that hunt if I think I have comprimised my rifle/scope, I check zero. If I'm hunting solo (usually the case) and it temporarily ends a hunt until it can be verified, so be it. I'm not waiting until I have an animal in the crosshairs to find out.

Onto my personal leupold experience.

Ive had three Leupold scopes over the past 20 years.
A rifleman, Vx1, and VX3

never had an issue with any of them, but sold the rifleman and vx1 with the rifles they were on after only a couple years of owning each, but still use the VX3 cds. (I'm a one rifle guy now).

Used it on countless hunts (WT/Mule/BT deer, Black bear, elk, moose, goat). On one particular goat hunt, lost my footing on the way down took a real nasty spill and rolled several times(rifle lashed to pack). Figured for sure I compromised my rifle in some way. When I was off the mountain, the following day I was able to inspect the rife and check the zero. Was pleasantly surprised as it was bang when tested at multiple ranges. Took a second minor spill the year after on another goat hunt where my scope made good contact with the ground and again after being able to check zero, found it was bang on.

Same rifle also rides on a rifle rest on the front rack of my ATV every year for spring bear where I run deactivated logging roads to gain elevation for spotting.

So my sample size is small (given its really only with one scope), but it has been on the same rifle (7mm-08/VX3 cds) for over a decade with some rough use. I shoot it annually through various ranges/cds settings before hunting season and usually a few times throughout just to maintain confidence.

It has not been adjusted/re-zeroed since I worked up the handload for the rifle and obtained the data for the custom CDS turret.

Last edited:
As my vx-II aged, I found that to get a consistant response I would have to turn the dials 2 clicks past what I wanted and then turn them back to the target setting. The scope completely failed about 2 years later.

I wonder if the failures are in the frequent adjustment of the cdx. Otherwise I have gotten 20+ years out of my other leupolds. The only scope I had that failed was a bushnel with a bullet drop compensator.

JGRaider

WKR
There is a difference between checking zero before season and having to actually re-zero every year. I still check, but since I got rid of my gold rings, I don't have to adjust it back to zero every time I check.

I've got one Leupy left, and several others that the RS scope drop test says "suck". Also have a LRHSi and I don't have trouble with any of them. If I do have trouble, I get it fixed, then sell it.......SwaroA comes to mind.

Grundy53

WKR
I've got one Leupy left, and several others that the RS scope drop test says "suck". Also have a LRHSi and I don't have trouble with any of them. If I do have trouble, I get it fixed, then sell it.......SwaroA comes to mind.
if they don't give you troubles then keep them. Obviously not every scope made is a turd. It's just some manufacturers have a higher prevalence of turds. I still have a bunch of leupolds (I have a hard time getting rid of gear). I just don't use them anymore.

bigmike23

Lil-Rokslider
Out of curiosity, is this seen across the entire lineup or certain VX/MK models?