Leupold zero retention poll

Have you fallen with, dropped or otherwise bounced around your leupold scope without it losing zero?

• Yes, my leupold scope has held zero

Votes: 33 14.5%
  • Yes, all my leupolds have held zero

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • No, my leupold scope lost zero

Votes: 38 16.7%
  • No, all my leupolds have lost zero

Votes: 25 11.0%
  • Some of my leupolds have lost zero and others haven’t

Votes: 81 35.5%
  • I don’t check my zero

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not owned a Leupold

Votes: 7 3.1%

• Total voters

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
Need an "I don't/haven't had a Leupold" as I have to cast a vote to see the results.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I use Leupold vx3s on my hunting rifles. They have rode countless miles in vehicles, on atvs, and in airplanes and haven’t had to adjust my zero on any of them. I like them.

I am not a competitive shooter. I just kill game and have for a lot of years. A year or so ago my go to rifle started getting wierd. I sent my leupold vx-II in for repairs. I got it back but while the verticle adjustment was 1 click equals 1/4 moa at 100 yds the horizontal adjustment was 17 clicks per 1/4 moa.

I thought that was a little off but was it me, the ammo or something else. I gave it a break and changed to a new leupold 3HD - 4.5-16 B&C . Once I got it partially zeroed in I noted that I had half inch groups and then the next group was 2-3 inches. I started to question everything. What had I changed?

Then I noted that a variable was that I had not paid attention to was CCI primers have not been available for a while so I was using Winchester.

My new loads are from a differant lot of H-4350. Now I don't know what is the critical variable. I have sorted all my lots of ammo by primer to start with.

I will shoot again when it quits snowing. Then I my have to go back and start over on my loads with the new powder lot. Then I will go back to working on my scopes.

I haven't got a definitive answer yet but I have a plan and with some heat I will work on it.

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
I am not a competitive shooter. I just kill game and have for a lot of years. A year or so ago my go to rifle started getting wierd. I sent my leupold vx-II in for repairs. I got it back but while the verticle adjustment was 1 click equals 1/4 moa at 100 yds the horizontal adjustment was 17 clicks per 1/4 moa.

I thought that was a little off but was it me, the ammo or something else. I gave it a break and changed to a new leupold 3HD - 4.5-16 B&C . Once I got it partially zeroed in I noted that I had half inch groups and then the next group was 2-3 inches. I started to question everything. What had I changed?

Then I noted that a variable was that I had not paid attention to was CCI primers have not been available for a while so I was using Winchester.

My new loads are from a differant lot of H-4350. Now I don't know what is the critical variable. I have sorted all my lots of ammo by primer to start with.

I will shoot again when it quits snowing. Then I my have to go back and start over on my loads with the new powder lot. Then I will go back to working on my scopes.

I haven't got a definitive answer yet but I have a plan and with some heat I will work on it.
I doubt it is the load, it could be, but load development is a lot of trouble and if you don't have a know accurate load, it is very hard to verify. I've tried 5 powders, 2 primers, and 3 different bullets and with various combinations and the worst group I have gotten was 2.03 inches at 100 yards and most are closer to 1.25; well I should say load development should be easy if everything else works. Of course, if the rifle is know to be a picky eater, that changes things.

If you (or a friend) has a rifle/scope combo that is known to be accurate, swap scopes and see what happens. If the problem moves with the scope, then it is a rings/scope issue. If the problem stays with the rifle, then I would pull the stock, check for areas of pressure, then torque the action screws to 65 in-lbs and see what happens. Only after that would I consider screwing with load development because if it is the rifle or scope you can waste a lot of time messing with loads and not being any closer to the answer. It is significantly more likely that a screw is loose, or the scope is causing trouble, than that a change in powder lot opened things up that much. That is true for EVERY brand of scope and I would say the same if you were using an NF/S&B/SWFA/Etc. Look for the most likely issues first, then move to the less common.