Leupold zero retention poll

Have you fallen with, dropped or otherwise bounced around your leupold scope without it losing zero?

• Yes, my leupold scope has held zero

Votes: 25 15.6%
  • Yes, all my leupolds have held zero

Votes: 30 18.8%
  • No, my leupold scope lost zero

Votes: 24 15.0%
  • No, all my leupolds have lost zero

Votes: 18 11.3%
  • Some of my leupolds have lost zero and others haven’t

Votes: 61 38.1%
  • I don’t check my zero

Votes: 2 1.3%

• Total voters

rickyw

FNG
I wanted to get a better community pulse on the subject. I know this isn’t a perfect way to collect data - there are different variables at play a survey can’t account for; but, it’s better than a long thread.

I never lost zero that I’m aware of with the vx5s I had, but I had one that I don’t think tracked properly. Unfortunately, at the time I didn’t realize what was happening. We were shooting out to 475, if I remember right my door should have been around 8moa, and I was at 5-5.5 moa. I knew my velocity and doing a velocity correction I would have had to been about 250fps faster than what my chronograph said. When I returned to zero my zero wasn’t right.

Machingeaneer

Lil-Rokslider
Instead of "I don't check zero", I think "I don't track zero" would be more applicable. For example, I've had a VX-2 for several years. I zeroed it initially and each year I shoot a couple times to make sure it's "zeroed". Is my POI the same each year? Probably not. I don't shoot the same target each year to track my zero. Do the deer care because the longest shot I've taken is 115 yards? No, they're dead.

I think many hunters assume that because the animal died they must still be zeroed.

OP
rickyw

rickyw

FNG
I never lost zero that I’m aware of with the vx5s I had, but I had one that I don’t think tracked properly. Unfortunately, at the time I didn’t realize what was happening. We were shooting out to 475, if I remember right my door should have been around 8moa, and I was at 5-5.5 moa. I knew my velocity and doing a velocity correction I would have had to been about 250fps faster than what my chronograph said. When I returned to zero my zero wasn’t right.
I thought of adding tracking to the poll but thought it may get too noisy to start.

Last edited:
OP
rickyw

rickyw

FNG
Instead of "I don't check zero", I think "I don't track zero" would be more applicable. For example, I've had a VX-2 for several years. I zeroed it initially and each year I shoot a couple times to make sure it's "zeroed". Is my POI the same each year? Probably not. I don't shoot the same target each year to track my zero. Do the deer care because the longest shot I've taken is 115 yards? No, they're dead.

I think many hunters assume that because the animal died they must still be zeroed.
I just checked to edit the poll for that option and it won’t let me. All I can do is add options. Checking zero was meant to mean going to a range, setting up a paper target, and checking zero. Of course, we could go down the rabbit hole of #of shots per group, but for a simple survey that gets messy

Tod osier

WKR
I owned one that I'd say performed well.

The others were a combination of problems. Nearly all had wandering zeros between range trips (moving zero without significant bumping). I had a couple that lost zero due to bumps. I had one go absolutely tits up. I had several that did not track during zeroing - requiring the two-step to get them zeroed.

I now have zero :)

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
I had one fail and one that didn't. The one that failed was on a 223, it would shift feet and got replaced by Leupold. that was a VXR patrol 3x9. the one that didn't was a VXIII but I only used it for one hunt and decided I was done with Leopold when I got the VXR back.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I generally don't make a habit of dropping my rifles or scopes, intentionally or otherwise. All of my older 70's and 80's Leupolds have always retained their zero's. A 70's Vari-x II 3-9 was on my saddle gun, which was always in a scabbard getting bounced around and brushed up against trees and stuff.....and it was always perfect. Also my Mark 4's have always been on target every time I use them. But I had a VX3i that was horrible. It wouldn't retain zero even sitting in the safe. It was different every time I shot it.

I have only had one of five go wonky after 20 years. I could only tell when I zeroed at 50 and then stepped out to 100. Instead of a variation of the verticle, the horizontal moved 4-6 ". All the rest normally had a variation of 1/4 " seasonally over the 20 year period. I could explain that on me or the rifle.

In that period I never missed anything I shot at with any of them except in heavy forested areas. Little limbs in the bullet path can produce alarming results at no fault of the scope.

peaches

Lil-Rokslider
Using reliable brands makes the yearly 'zero check' for Leupolds even more annoying and unreassuring.

TaperPin

WKR
The last variable Leupold was two decades ago. The power selector cut in the eye bell end is the weak point on older variables - if someone knew nothing about materials, or engineering, or skipped school a lot, or ate tide pods to show off, they could look at a bare vx2 tube and see that huge cutout (that isn’t reinforced) and know it’s the weakest part of the scope tube. VX3 is better, but barely.

I have had one go tits up and it was replaced with a new one.

Early in my shooting life scope movement might have been the scope or might have been moving bases - factory recommended torque values are quite low and I’ve had a torque wrench since a teenager. Unless a base is pinned or epoxied in place, .0012” movement in a base moves poi 1 moa.

My early understanding of wind was rather primitive - anything over 100 yards should have flags or you don’t know what is wind and what is gun.

Other movement that could have been scope related might have been inconsistent shooting technique - it’s unclear if it was entirely more durable scope mounts, better technique or a move towards only fixed scopes, but as I got older less time was spent messing with zero.

I've owned multiple and have friends and family members that have owned multiple. I guess we are all snake-bit because I've never seen one that worked properly (ranging in lines from VX series up to Mark 5HD and everywhere in-betwen). I keep hoping maybe the Mark 4HD will be different because that 2.5-10 is the FFP scope I've been wanting (but it has to work).

Elkslut

FNG
I have multiple Leupold scopes they always held up and have done fine. As my abilities grew along with my knowledge, I now understand why I do have to reset a zero here and there. After doing that they always hold up at least through the season. With Wheeler rides and trip/falls they perform as expected. Then recently upgraded to a VX5 it's did what it was supposed to, I even got an elk at 822 yards with all shots were hits (4 for 4 shoot him until he's down). Then all the sudden before the next season I can't group a damn thing. Swap out scopes groups fine, my loads are fine. So currently waiting for Leupold to fix or replace, the warranty is nice and I'm glad companies have them but I'd rather not have to use it.

Sorry if it's too long

WKR
What about an option for someone I was hunting with lost zero with a Leopold?

HOT ROD

WKR
I had three vx3i 4.5-14 30mm tube wind plex side parallax two of them refused to dial at all after changing bullet weights and powder charges . 270 wsm went from 140gr Berger to 130gr Berger shot roughly 1inch high dialed down 4 clicks shot a round 4th round landed with the other 3 roughly 1 inch high dialed another 4 clicks 5th round landed with the other 4 tapped the scope with a screw driver handle shot the 6th round went two inched low... The second rifle was a 300 wm same thing happened to it sold all three could never trust a cds dial again... Now I have two swfa 3-9 a trijicon creedo and a older bushnell tactical elite...

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
My MK5 that gets swapped around, goes to the range in a soft bag, and gets rough treatment holds zero. And, the several other friends own have held zero. And, the competitors and professional shooters I know of makes it unlikely that the stories of MK5 regularly failing.

You can’t compare all scopes by a manufacturer.

Also, is it the scope or the rings or the base?

My experience at the range and watching scopes get mounted at Bass Pro would suggest many failures are other than the scope.

4cMuley

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had issues with two vx3’s with wandering zero. Replaced both with NF shv’s. Bummer I wasted so much time and components doing load development.

I have an old fixed 4x with friction adjustments on a blr 7-08 from the 90’s that has held zero perfectly. I got that rifle from my grandpa 8 years ago when he passed and I’ve never had to touch the scope. That thing rode in the fencing truck, combine, and many tractors. The gun is… well used.

I desperately want Leupold to make a scope that dials that I can trust. They check so many boxes for me

Macintosh

WKR
As of a moment ago the tally out of 72 votes is:
36.1% of users never lost zero w a Lp scope
63.9% of users have had at least 1 Lp scope lose zero.

This is fairly close to my personal failure rate of 3 failures (1 highly likely in hindsight, and 2 verified both by me and leupold) out of 4 scopes.

I do agree with Hereinaz that mounting issues are a factor that often explains problems. Early on I sold a rifle/scope combo that, in hindsight, was probably a scope issue. Since then, I have never decided something was a problem without first re-mounting scope to verify that didnt fix the issue, and then swapping-in another scope to determine if its the rifle or the scope. Its fairly easily done IF you have the time, ammo, and another scope. But its a good point and does need to be done before blaming the scope.

I have had a couple issues over the years with them. I still hunt with them and have whacked a lot of critters with them.
But as others have said the issues I have had are making me migrate away from leupold. I am slowly replacing them with more mechanically reliable optics.