Leupold RX-1000i TBR Red display failing

dr.derek

FNG
Any one ever come across this issue? I called up Leupold and they pretty much told me that the "electronics" they sell are as good as done after their 2 year warranty is up. I cannot believe that, I have used Leupold products for sometime and always liked them but this warranty treatment seems trash, they might of just converted me to a vortex customer.

EastMT

WKR
Ouch! My buddy called them and they offered him 60% off any new rangefinder. That’s not replacement but at least something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scorpion

WKR
Any one ever come across this issue? I called up Leupold and they pretty much told me that the "electronics" they sell are as good as done after their 2 year warranty is up. I cannot believe that, I have used Leupold products for sometime and always liked them but this warranty treatment seems trash, they might of just converted me to a vortex customer.

This happened with mine as well. Haven’t had a chance to call Leupold yet but will report back.

Have a Sig Kilo 2200 to bridge the gap. Really liked that Leupold though. That said, I have a 10 year old RX-400 that still works, go figure?

Yes my first Leupold RF failed after 5 hard years of bowhunting two years ago. Leupold sold me the latest 1600 TBI w/DNA for $200. I am totally satisfied with the upgrade and cost after all the use the first unit had. After all it is electronics that constantly change. The Leupold is the perfect archery rangefinder with instant angle corrected yardage in scan mode or single shot.

I noticed mine started to fade around the edges in maybe June and called Leupold. They said it is the OLED and it has a lifespan. Said I could send it in for a large discount off any new Rangefinder but I elected to wait until after the season. I bought mine new in August 2011 and hunt 30-40 days a year with a lot more ranging when practicing with bow and rifle. I’m not happy it’s fading but also understand this is an electronic device and I think 8-9 years of use and abuse is a pretty good lifespan.

Fatcamp

WKR
Yes my first Leupold RF failed after 5 hard years of bowhunting two years ago. Leupold sold me the latest 1600 TBI w/DNA for $200. I am totally satisfied with the upgrade and cost after all the use the first unit had. After all it is electronics that constantly change. The Leupold is the perfect archery rangefinder with instant angle corrected yardage in scan mode or single shot.

My experience as well. I printed off a warranty return sheet and sent it in. They made me an offer. Honestly, electronics are not lifetime tools.

I have a Ranger 1000. The two buttons on top sucks.

NW307

Lil-Rokslider
Is the 2 year warranty on rangefinders industry wide for the most part? I'm in the same boat as everyone else with my 5 year old RX1000 fading and becoming unusable. I was offered the 40% off a new one deal but I'm hesitant to bite if I'm going to be back in the same place in a few years. I'm not a wealthy man so when I ponied up the money for a "nice" rangefinder I was hoping to get some more life out of it. My old base model Nikon 400 something is close to 10 years old and working just fine, it just doesn't have the range I want. I read across the web on how awesome their warranty is but this one kind of blindsided me.

shamcg

FNG
Vortex has a true lifetime warranty. I had the same issue with my 1000i. Actually started before the 2-year mark, but I didn't catch the "electronics" 2-year limit clause. Got an email saying to call for a discount or to have them return it. They offered the 1600i for $249 and said that was 50% off. Well, that would be off MSRP not what they sell for. You can catch them on sale for a little over $300. For what I paid plus the $250 for replacement (with another 2-year warranty) I could have gotten a top of the line Vortex. It would have been covered under warranty. Told Leupold that they lost a customer for life and they said, "ok we understand". Great business model....

Vortex has a true lifetime warranty. I had the same issue with my 1000i. Actually started before the 2-year mark, but I didn't catch the "electronics" 2-year limit clause. Got an email saying to call for a discount or to have them return it. They offered the 1600i for $249 and said that was 50% off. Well, that would be off MSRP not what they sell for. You can catch them on sale for a little over $300. For what I paid plus the $250 for replacement (with another 2-year warranty) I could have gotten a top of the line Vortex. It would have been covered under warranty. Told Leupold that they lost a customer for life and they said, "ok we understand". Great business model....
I will NEVER own a vortex Rangefinder. Nearly every single one of the original 1000’s just died when needed. Several friends I hunt with all had them. I haven’t sent mine in yet to see what their offer is. My RX 1000i made it 8+ seasons and this one is actually 9 so I can’t say it hasn’t performed reliably. Very few electronic devices perform for 8-9 years while being exposed to the elements for 3-4 months of the year every weekend at a minimum.

NW307

Lil-Rokslider
I'm going with a Vortex. I don't care too much if it craps out quickly if it has a real warranty.