let's talk wind

sk1

WKR
We all know that the wind can change anytime, but are there anymore common characteristics other than in the morning the wind generally blows downhill and as it heats up during the day switches and blows uphill until late in the evening?

That's my basic and general understanding, just curious if there is anything else....whether it be the way a wind blows around a ridge, over a saddle, or whatever.

7mag.

WKR
Maybe I have it backwards, but I always thought that the thermals rose uphill in the morning, and downhill in the evening?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
When it's cool, down. When it's hot, up. That's how the thermals work for my neck of the woods.

Yep, soon as the sun starts to rise usually the thermals will rise with it...

There is one ridge in Idaho where we elk hunt, that the wind ALWAYS blows uphill on one side, and downhill on the other. Can be 10PM, 12PM, 6 AM... doesn't matter its ALWAYS that way. Been that way for three years in a row and we never have figured out why it was that way...

Mike

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Mike, if it's close to the Washington line it's because Washington sucks!:)

:) Ha! its actually closer to Montana than it is WA... in the panhandle actually, which would mean its in your territory... which is why it blows so much! :)

Mike