Lets talk game bags...

Latebloomer

Lil-Rokslider
So obviously a lot of variety in the market these days. I'm really interested in a reusable game bag that holds up through pack outs/washes. I'd rather pay a little more up front and have something that last. Also interested in the approximate sizes/number of bags necessary for an elk pack out. I have a good idea of what I want to purchase, but I wanted to get some insight from the guys with more experience before I pull the trigger. Appreciate your time as always.

Fetty Wapiti

Lil-Rokslider
Over the years I have tried all kinds of different game bags. The last two seasons I have been using the argali bags and can't say anything but good things. Lightweight, durable, and they wash up super easy. 👍 I would def make the investment. They come with 5 bags. I supplement my kit with an extra so I have 6 when elk hunting, but that isn't necessary. I just like keeping my tenders and backstrap separated from the trim.

The BlackOvis game bags have worked well for the couple uses and washes so far. Blood washes out and they look brand new. You can find them at a pretty good price on CamoFire every once in a while. Can’t help with the elk estimate, only used for deer and antelope.

Lurch12

Lil-Rokslider
BlackOvis have treated me well.

I use the large kit. Gets one fully deboned elk in them. Would be good for a quartered deer.

• Each Kit Contains: 4 quarter bags Large-15" x 28"), 1 meat parts bag( Large-14" x 18"), 40' flagging tape, 2 pair of Latex gloves, 5' x 3' 1, plastic sheet, 1 storage bag

I hang my meat on a meat poll by the winch cords and have had zero issues. Cleaned after use and they look new again..

TheGreek

Lil-Rokslider
I've used the caribou gear game bags for a few antelope and deer over the past few years. They do the trick nicely and clean up really well post use. I'd recommend them but I've never used any others so nothing to compare them to.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Argali. I’ve had one set since they came out (3-5 years?), been washed 10+ times, used multiple times a year, still holding up great. I have several sets of different sizes now.
Caribou bags are good but a little heavier and meat seems to stick to them more. Same with black ovis.

HiMtnHntr

WKR
You want some that breath. Some of the newer reusable ones hold too much moisture and will freeze to the meat when hung overnight. Sounds like these Argalis are breathable. Never used them. I use a mixed matched bunch I have saved over the years and they do the trick.

taskswap

WKR
I liked my Caribou bags enough to buy a second set. I'd say as long as you're not getting the $20 bargain-bin specials at your local big-box store, all the premium brands stack up pretty well.

Caribou bags work well; they do stick a bit, but dry super fast and breath well. I just pull it loose from the meat once and they won't stick again once dry.
The Black Ovis bags work well also, but seem to breath a little less. I've only used them once on a bear this year so far, so time will tell. They do feel a little tougher. Time will tell on durability though.
I bought some of the red ultra light black ovis bags, but haven't used them yet. They are amazingly light but I am a little concerned about breathability. Again time will tell. If the breath and hold up, they are amazingly compact and light.
As of now the Caribou bag elk pack with 4 quarter bags and a extra bone out parts bag is my favorite for now. It is big enough for an elk and still light enough, while cleaning up well for reuse over and over again.
I will experiment with the others though and see if I can find the perfect combo eventually :)

Dsnow9

FNG
Argali hands down. And I’ve been through the wringer with 4-5 different brands. Have used the same bags on 4-5 animals 2 seasons in a row and they are still in great condition

Argali hands down. And I’ve been through the wringer with 4-5 different brands. Have used the same bags on 4-5 animals 2 seasons in a row and they are still in great condition
I bought my son a set of these for Christmas, so we can see how we like them compared to the other brands I've used.

You’re going to get the same 4 answers from everyone. Black Ovis, Argaili, Caribou, and TagBags. They are all nearly identical quality bags. The difference might be in the sizes offered. If a guy swears by one of those brands it’s because they are good bags but also probably they only brand he has bought and used. There’s usually no need to replace them.

I use Tag Bags and love them. I originally bought them for a moose hunt so they are oversized for elk. But I don’t mind at all because I like tying the top in a knot in addition to pulling the draw strings tight.

Finn16

WKR
My results with the Argalis were not like those above. I had one bag tear and two others get small holes in them the first time I used them. I bought some Black Ovis to replace them but haven't tried them yet.

OP
L

Latebloomer

Lil-Rokslider
You’re going to get the same 4 answers from everyone. Black Ovis, Argaili, Caribou, and TagBags. They are all nearly identical quality bags. The difference might be in the sizes offered. If a guy swears by one of those brands it’s because they are good bags but also probably they only brand he has bought and used. There’s usually no need to replace them.

I use Tag Bags and love them. I originally bought them for a moose hunt so they are oversized for elk. But I don’t mind at all because I like tying the top in a knot in addition to pulling the draw strings tight.
I was actually waiting to see if someone was going to mention the Kifaru game bags. That was the set I’ve been eye balling. Between those and the Argaili is where my mind is at. Haven’t seen Tag Bags so I’ll check those out. Thank you.

Scorpion

WKR
I'll stick to using a 300' roll of Saran wrap, way cheaper than game bags and keeps the meat fresh.

Okay, I’ve never heard of this as part of field care. Need more details.

What types of hunts and where? Seems like trapping moisture in could be sketchy in the wrong environment, but I understand you won’t lose any of the other layers like dry aging.

Seems like you would trap a lot of blood that could create a nasty environment.