Lets talk game bags...

fishslap

WKR
I’ve used TAG bags for a very long time and I’m happy with them. I spray them off then put them in the washing machine with bleach after each use. I’ve thought about looking to see if there are any new bags out there that are just as good and lighter, but the TAGs are very light already.

fishslap

WKR
I'll stick to using a 300' roll of Saran wrap, way cheaper than game bags and keeps the meat fresh.
There is no way I’d carry a roll of Saran wrap into the mountains to protect the meat. So many issues with that. I couldn’t imagine wrapping up an elk hind quarter after pulling it off the animal with swarms of bees, flies, and hornets around, then hanging it in a tree like that until I pack it out. Logistical difficult, not durable, and does not allow air circulation around the meat to allow the outside to dry and inhibit bacterial growth, to mention a few issues.

I recently replaced my caribou bags with argali.

My first impression is that the argali are lighter and more compact. However, they also seemed to stick more and did have a hole after the first use.

The caribou bags seemed to be
a little heavier fabric. Over time, I sewed up several small holes in them as well.

Kenn

Lil-Rokslider
There is no way I’d carry a roll of Saran wrap into the mountains to protect the meat. So many issues with that. I couldn’t imagine wrapping up an elk hind quarter after pulling it off the animal with swarms of bees, flies, and hornets around, then hanging it in a tree like that until I pack it out. Logistical difficult, not durable, and does not allow air circulation around the meat to allow the outside to dry and inhibit bacterial growth, to mention a few issues.
I think it was a joke. If not, I agree.

Overdrive

WKR
Been doing it for 25 years and works great, we've documented temperatures at the bone to see how quarters cool. Easy, clean and simple.

The photos shown are about 8 hours apart, we compared game bags and the cooling was the same.

Attachments

• IMG_20230115_101742.jpg
    IMG_20230115_101742.jpg
    275.6 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_20230115_101746.jpg
    IMG_20230115_101746.jpg
    276.7 KB · Views: 106
I’ve used a set of caribou game bags for when I bone the meat out and the heavier Allen bags for quarters with the bone in. I reuse the caribou bags and depending what n how I’m feeling will either toss the quarter bags after a use or reuse.

Number wise, four bags for the quarters, one for the loin/tenderloin, and one for everything else. Also, I pack a contractor bag to use to lay things on or to put meat in, if it has to go in the bag. If you don’t want to put the meat in a bag, you can put your other gear in the contractor bag, to keep it separated from the blood. You can also use a ultralight type tarp. I go back-and-forth on that..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Elkaddict

FNG
My only experience is Caribou bags and have been very happy with them thus far. All I use them on is boned out elk meat. I used the boned out elk ones for a while but don’t care for the smaller 16” width- hard to get big chunks of meat in if by yourself and a little extra bag room for big bulls wont hurt.
I would consider:

Caribou Magnum Pack Small - M.O.B (Meat On Bone) for deer, sheep, blk bear, antelope or​

Caribou - M.O.B (Meat On Bone) Game Bags For Caribou​

The main bags are wider at 20” which makes things a little easier in my opinion. I also pack a small cotton 4x6 piece of bed sheet (breathable) to lay the meat on till it cools/dries a bit as long as flies/bees aren’t an issue. Good luck!​

4rcgoat

WKR
Been using a combination of Jimmy tarps bone out bags,and blackovis bags for years with zero issues

HOT ROD

WKR
We have been using Jimmy Tarps game bags for serval years they clean up fast and have been holding up well for us.....

I'm on year five of my current reusable bags and have used them every year so they've held up well for me. The material is breathable ripstop polyester, they are easy to wash, very lightweight and strong enough to hang. I usually use 5 bags for an elk, 1 bag per quarter (bone-in usually) and 1 bag for everything else.
Screenshot_20230116-053610.png

Tod osier

WKR
So obviously a lot of variety in the market these days. I'm really interested in a reusable game bag that holds up through pack outs/washes. I'd rather pay a little more up front and have something that last. Also interested in the approximate sizes/number of bags necessary for an elk pack out. I have a good idea of what I want to purchase, but I wanted to get some insight from the guys with more experience before I pull the trigger. Appreciate your time as always.

TAG bags are the original synthetic bag, so I buy and use those. Larry the owner is a great guy too and stands behind his product.

The advantage of the synthetic bags is that they are lighter and smaller than bags sewn out of cotton sheets or using pillowcases. 4 or 5 bags fits in the palm of your hand and can handle a whole elk. for just a few ounces.

Soak and wash the synthetic bags in cold to keep from setting the blood stains in.

S.Clancy

WKR

The link is for Allen Game Bags

Been using those for like 6-7 yrs. Never needed anything else. And before someone says "They won't fit elk quarters!", I've packed out 25 ish elk in the same time frame with these bags, including big bulls.

Jethro

WKR
Been doing it for 25 years and works great, we've documented temperatures at the bone to see how quarters cool. Easy, clean and simple.

The photos shown are about 8 hours apart, we compared game bags and the cooling was the same.
I thought Saran wrap was a joke too. Whatever works for you (y). Me, I can't stand using Saran wrap in my kitchen. I'd never bring it on a hunt.

I've got Tag bags. Have had them long time and like giving Larry my business. Buddies have Argali and Black Ovis. All of them do what they are supposed to do.

RCB

WKR
Used Argali and Caribou. Both have worked well. Argali are lighter (in part because smaller) and work for me, so that's usually what I carry.

AH64guy

FNG
Kuiu - for back straps and loins, when they are on sale, or eBay snags.

Black Ovis for general quartering.

I used canvas bags in the past, and they worked fine - but synthetic clean up is a lot easier. Especially in the family washing machine… YMMV 😉

TheHammer

WKR
I run both argali and caribou… the argali seem a bit more durable, materials wash out “better” and seem to be a better bag than anything I’ve tried.