Let's See Your Semi-Custom Tikka Builds

archp625

WKR
Can someone do me a huge favor? Can someone with a SA Mountain Tactical mag measure the inside of the mag. I need to know when they say 3.00” that means 3.00 and not 3.050, etc.

Tikka T3X chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor
AG Composites Privateer Stock (Charcoal Gray)
Proof Research Sendero Carbon Fiber Prefit (22")
Mountain Tactical SA Billet Magazine
Lumley Arms Titanium Bolt Handle / CF Bolt Knob
Griffin Armament Taper Mount EZ-Brake
Rex Silentium MG7 K Suppressor 264 (in jail).

Attachments

• IMG_4498.jpg
    IMG_4498.jpg
    310.6 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_4500.jpg
    IMG_4500.jpg
    304.1 KB · Views: 280

Deerfield

Lil-Rokslider
At what bullet weight will a semi custom 300wsm benefit from a longer throat. I’m considering rebarreling my T3x 7 mag with a 20 inch Carbon Six prefit and I’m wondering if I can get away with a saami chamber or if it will limit me too much. Probably would not shoot the real heavy stuff. Thinking 200ish grainers (200.20x, 200 ELDX, 210 ABLR).

RogerNH

FNG
My semi-custom Tikka was delivered today from HCA. I placed my order March 29th, 2021 so it's been about a year. Fit and finish is excellent. Mounted my Nightforce NXS 2.5-10 in NF ultralight rings on a Warne base. Supposed to rain the next few days so I probably won't be able to shoot it until next weekend. I'll post pictures later.

RogerNH

FNG
Tikka T3x SS action
6.5 Creedmoor
22" HCA carbon barrel threaded 5/8x24
AG Composites Alpine Hunter stock
HCA bottom metal
Warne Mountain Tech Tactical Rail (0 MOA)
Nightforce Ultralight rings (low)
Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42 MOAR SFP scope
FDE H-265 Cerakote
Weight as shown: 8 lbs, 6.25 oz
Weight out of the box with a single magazine: 6 lbs, 11.5 oz

I need to order some shorter 1/4-20mm screws to attach a 2.5" Seekins SRS rail so I can use my Atlas bipod. I also have a SilencerCo Omega 300 suppressor.

Very happy with the build quality. It's been raining since I got it and it's going to rain over the next few days so I won't have a chance to shoot it for a while.
IMG_3804.jpegIMG_3805.jpegIMG_3806.jpegIMG_3807.jpegIMG_3810.jpegIMG_3812.jpeg

Tikka T3x Superlite in 6.5CM
Bolt fluted by Long Rifles Inc - super quick turnaround
Mule deer bolt shroud and bottom metal by Mountain Tactical
“Quiet” muzzle brake threaded and installed by Gentry Custom - also quick turnaround
MCarbo trigger spring brings pull ~ 2 lbs
Carbon fiber stock by Mesa Precision - love it
5 shot magazine by Waters Rifleman out of AUS
Titanium pineapple bolt handle by High Velocity Hunting also out of AUS
Cerakoted and paint job (nightstalker) by Custom Gun Coatings in Missouri - arguably one of the best in the biz
Topped w Talley rings and a Zeiss V4 4x16x44 and a Ballistix elevation turret

At the end of the day, certainly didn’t save any money vs buying a semi custom rifle like the Fierce Edge 300WM I have, but the process was fun. Definitely worse places on the internet where you could spend hours finding things that suit your unique interests.

I didn’t bother swapping barrels because this thing was a) lite enough, and b) one-holes at 100 yards with Hornady ELDX 143 grain bullets. I suppose I could have started with the Roughtech which comes with a fluted bolt and brake, but I also liked the idea of supporting niche US gunsmiths.

Attachments

• E2C7A14F-9F50-4351-A7A0-A76047786C9A.jpeg
    E2C7A14F-9F50-4351-A7A0-A76047786C9A.jpeg
    356.8 KB · Views: 307
  • 5AE25E64-6010-43A2-9C02-A199A1040C0F.jpeg
    5AE25E64-6010-43A2-9C02-A199A1040C0F.jpeg
    450.1 KB · Views: 307

HuntnPack

WKR
Tikka T3x SS action
6.5 Creedmoor
HCA bottom metal
FDE H-265 Cerakote

I need to order some shorter 1/4-20mm screws to attach a 2.5" Seekins SRS rail so I can use my Atlas bipod. I also have a SilencerCo Omega 300 suppressor.

Very happy with the build quality. It's been raining since I got it and it's going to rain over the next few days so I won't have a chance to shoot it for a while.
View attachment 399854View attachment 399855View attachment 399856View attachment 399857View attachment 399858View attachment 399859
Very Nice !!! That’s a Sweet Rifle !!

Iv already got one cut for an m24 with a lite currently in it. Some think it’s ugly, but I like it. It’s nice to not have to worry about it.

More float is better than barely enough creating contact on flexing.
if it's close, a little debris getting stuck in there over time can become an issue... pine needles are the main culprit around here, and i have had periods of pulling my hair out due to that in the past... thought something was loose in my scope mounting system, or my scope was bad... swapping scopes didn't change anything... finally figured out i had a bunch of pine needles stuck in the gap

OutdoorAg

WKR
Tikka T3x Superlite in 6.5CM
Bolt fluted by Long Rifles Inc - super quick turnaround
Mule deer bolt shroud and bottom metal by Mountain Tactical
“Quiet” muzzle brake threaded and installed by Gentry Custom - also quick turnaround
MCarbo trigger spring brings pull ~ 2 lbs
Carbon fiber stock by Mesa Precision - love it
5 shot magazine by Waters Rifleman out of AUS
Titanium pineapple bolt handle by High Velocity Hunting also out of AUS
Cerakoted and paint job (nightstalker) by Custom Gun Coatings in Missouri - arguably one of the best in the biz
Topped w Talley rings and a Zeiss V4 4x16x44 and a Ballistix elevation turret

At the end of the day, certainly didn’t save any money vs buying a semi custom rifle like the Fierce Edge 300WM I have, but the process was fun. Definitely worse places on the internet where you could spend hours finding things that suit your unique interests.

I didn’t bother swapping barrels because this thing was a) lite enough, and b) one-holes at 100 yards with Hornady ELDX 143 grain bullets. I suppose I could have started with the Roughtech which comes with a fluted bolt and brake, but I also liked the idea of supporting niche US gunsmiths.
I like that bolt fluting. What option did you choose from LRI?

archp625

WKR
Tikka T3x SS action
6.5 Creedmoor
HCA bottom metal
FDE H-265 Cerakote

View attachment 399854View attachment 399855View attachment 399856View attachment 399857View attachment 399858View attachment 399859
Why didn't he cerakote the bolt shroud? That's throwing me off a little. Other than that, beautiful rifle.

slowelk

WKR
Why didn't he cerakote the bolt shroud? That's throwing me off a little. Other than that, beautiful rifle.

My experience with cerakoted bolt shrouds has not been good. They chip and rub off leaving cerakote dust and remnants throughout the action. I won't buy an aftermarket shroud with cerakote or cerakote another factory shroud again. I would also never cerakote a bolt again. They are much smoother without coating.

archp625

WKR
My experience with cerakoted bolt shrouds has not been good. They chip and rub off leaving cerakote dust and remnants throughout the action. I won't buy an aftermarket shroud with cerakote or cerakote another factory shroud again. I would also never cerakote a bolt again. They are much smoother without coating.
Interesting. I appreciate your knowledge and experience. I hope I do not have the same issues as you on my tikka. I will say this. My bolt is as smooth with cerakote as the SS bare bolt.

slowelk

WKR
Interesting. I appreciate your knowledge and experience. I hope I do not have the same issues as you on my tikka. I will say this. My bolt is as smooth with cerakote as the SS bare bolt.

Curious - do you know what cerakote series (C, H, E)? I wonder if it matters. I've had three cerakoted tikkas, the first two I did not cerakote the bolt, but the rest of the action internals were coated, and they were as-smooth or smoother than the bare metal - both had coated shrouds, and the action was regularly left with cerakote dust. My most recent has a coated, un-fluted bolt and it requires more frequent oiling of the lugs to have tikka-like smoothness. Fortunately the coating is wearing off. All of my coatings have been H series.

RogerNH

FNG
I don't mind that it's not Cerakoted. I didn't tell him to Cerakote it. However, the bottom metal was supposed to be Cerakoted FDE but it wasn't. It looks black anodized. I'm fine with it anyway but I'm not crazy about the latch as it's easy to hit accidentally and pop the mag out. I might replace the HCA bottom metal with the High Desert Rifle Works bottom metal if I'm losing mags in the woods.

RogerNH

FNG
My Cerakoted bolt is just as smooth as the SS before I sent the rifle to HCA. This was a brand new unfired T3x Lite SS rifle when I sent it to HCA so the bolt probably would've been smoother if it had a few hundred cycles on it.

archp625

WKR
Curious - do you know what cerakote series (C, H, E)? I wonder if it matters. I've had three cerakoted tikkas, the first two I did not cerakote the bolt, but the rest of the action internals were coated, and they were as-smooth or smoother than the bare metal - both had coated shrouds, and the action was regularly left with cerakote dust. My most recent has a coated, un-fluted bolt and it requires more frequent oiling of the lugs to have tikka-like smoothness. Fortunately the coating is wearing off. All of my coatings have been H series.
I am not sure to be honest. I can find out though.

archp625

WKR
I don't mind that it's not Cerakoted. I didn't tell him to Cerakote it. However, the bottom metal was supposed to be Cerakoted FDE but it wasn't. It looks black anodized. I'm fine with it anyway but I'm not crazy about the latch as it's easy to hit accidentally and pop the mag out. I might replace the HCA bottom metal with the High Desert Rifle Works bottom metal if I'm losing mags in the woods.
Another option is the Mountain Tactical bottom metal. That's what's on mine. There is not a lever hanging below.