Lead poisoning in eagles

Eagles, hawks and ravens quickly learn to follow after people shooting prairie dogs and ground squirrels. I switched to lead free .17 hmr because of this. I know those small rodent carcasses can be full of lead fragmentation from hollow points.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

From what I have read copper hits way harder than lead because it wont fragment. There are some pretty nasty reports coming out on tiny lead particles that embed themselves deep into game meat from high powered rifle rounds. At the end of the day I think the hunting community should be proactive on switching to lead free bullets or the anti-gun crowd will beat the market to the punch and its a battle they will eventually win.

The same goes for lead free primers. I would rather shoot and not be worried about a cloud of lead settling on all my clothes etc.

Joking aside, I see all sorts of guys buying compound bows at my local archery shop because the ammo dried

Joking aside, I see all sorts of guys buying compound bows at my local archery shop because the ammo dried up.
arrows cost a bit more than bullets I’m sure that won’t last.

TxxAgg

WKR
From what I have read copper hits way harder than lead because it wont fragment. There are some pretty nasty reports coming out on tiny lead particles that embed themselves deep into game meat from high powered rifle rounds. At the end of the day I think the hunting community should be proactive on switching to lead free bullets or the anti-gun crowd will beat the market to the punch and its a battle they will eventually win.

The same goes for lead free primers. I would rather shoot and not be worried about a cloud of lead settling on all my clothes etc.
Please post some sources for all these "facts"

Please post some sources for all these "facts"
Here is a good article on copper bullets and performance:

Lead fragments in game meat:

Lead contamination from Primers:

I have a 2 year old and 5 year old daughters so I am more hyper sensitive about lead contamination which probably wont affect adults. That being said, I think it is something that shooters and hunters should be aware of and mitigate. Ammo prices are all about economies of scale and its really only boutique companies making lead free options. I would much rather see the community support and demand lead free ammo from manufacturers so they can ramp up production at a decent price rather than and anti-gun or environmental group hit us with sudden restrictions that make shooting cost prohibitive.

WRO

WKR

I have a 2 year old and 5 year old daughters so I am more hyper sensitive about lead contamination which probably wont affect adults. That being said, I think it is something that shooters and hunters should be aware of and mitigate. Ammo prices are all about economies of scale and its really only boutique companies making lead free options. I would much rather see the community support and demand lead free ammo from manufacturers so they can ramp up production at a decent price rather than and anti-gun or environmental group hit us with sudden restrictions that make shooting cost prohibitive.
There's never been a proven case of lead poisoning in humans from eating game shot with lead. We've been killing game and eating it for 300 years on the north American continent atleast.

If anyone would be most susceptible, I'd assume it's these groups and they're in great shape.

http://www.npaihb.org/images/epicenter_docs/NW-Idea/2012/ORLeadFinalEmail.pdf

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Eagle populations quadrupled in size since 2009 with 316,700 individual bald eagles spotted and 71,400 nesting pairs recorded during the 2019 breeding season, reports Lauren M. Johnson and Liz Stark for CNN. In 2009, there were 72,434 individual bald eagles and just 30,548 nesting pairs, reports Sophie Lewis for CBS.Mar 26, 2021

Anecdotally - there's no shortage of them.

Last edited:
If you are truely upset about lead fragments. 1) slow your bullets down, 2) Buy the heavier bullets, 3) Buy a metal detector and scan your your meat. In the off season, hunt for gold and coins to pay for it.

I had a friend that sold cast lead bullets. He told me that by adding silver to his lead it made it more mallable and less inclined to break up.

Maybe the future is casting solid silver or gold bullets. That way you would be inclined to search for every fragment and maybe even be better defended in a wherwolf attack.

Reactions: WRO

WRO

WKR
Eagle populations quadrupled in size since 2009 with 316,700 individual bald eagles spotted and 71,400 nesting pairs recorded during the 2019 breeding season, reports Lauren M. Johnson and Liz Stark for CNN. In 2009, there were 72,434 individual bald eagles and just 30,548 nesting pairs, reports Sophie Lewis for CBS.Mar 26, 2021

Anecdotally - there's no shortage of them.
Sea gulls with a marketing job..

Tod osier

WKR
There's never been a proven case of lead poisoning in humans from eating game shot with lead. We've been killing game and eating it for 300 years on the north American continent atleast.

If anyone would be most susceptible, I'd assume it's these groups and they're in great shape.

There is a range between causing developmental issues and lead poisoning. Eating game shot with lead is associated with elevated lead levels in the blood. Children are considered more susceptible to the effects of lead. Do what you please, but it is not unreasonable in my eye to limit the exposure of lead to children.

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved

You do not need acute lead toxicity to cause harm and hunting certainly is a source of lead exposure in humans.
"The highest single measured blood lead concentration in this study was 221 mg/L. This is 3e4 times lower than the level that could be expected to cause lead poisoning, but effects on the hematological system, hypertension and renal function is a possibility among the participants with the highest blood lead concentrations. However, the most critical risk of lead in humans appears to be effects on the central nervous system of fetuses and children. Blood lead concentrations between 50 and 100 mg/L, but also as low as 30 mg/L may have an impact." https://www.biologicaldiversity.org/campaigns/get_the_lead_out/pdfs/health/Johansen_et_al_2005.pdf

TxxAgg

WKR

The very first article references Ron Spomer as an appeal to authority. Give me a break.

Part of why bald eagle numbers are up is the aggressive captive breeding and release.

Why is this always criticized as coming from anti gunners? I've got a friend who is a research biologist... He's spent 20+ years raising and releasing bald eagles, as well as tracking every one that's been found dead, and studying the impacts of lead.

He's a very pro gun guy, has lots, builds them, shoots a lot. He's very active in promoting non toxic ammo for hunting, but has no issues with lead for target shooting.

Billinsd

WKR
Does anyone know how many birds including eagles and condors are killed by wind turbines?

And powerlines?
Wind turbines propellers with lead paint or the ones without lead paint? Have scientists done any research?

Billinsd

WKR
The problems with lead at shooting ranges is simply related to lead contamination of groundwater or soil.
You mean eagles don't go near shooting ranges, nor do other animals? They don't yet and won't until lead is banned from hunting. Then it will be determined that lead is bad at firing ranges.

Billinsd

WKR
[QUOTE="jolemons, post: 2548397, member: I know those small rodent carcasses can be full of lead fragmentation from hollow points.
[/QUOTE]