Lawfulness of having a dog on a hunt versus using a dog to hunt

dboone3

Lil-Rokslider
This question is mostly related to Washington hunting regulation - what are the laws surrounding bring your dog on a hunt only for companionship?

I'm going to be bear hunting and using dogs to chase bears is illegal here, but if I'm sitting on a hill glassing I don't see any harm in my dog sitting there with me. I'm not sure game wardens would look at it the same though.

Last edited:

KenLee

WKR
My 10 pound demon dog often sits with me in elevated box blinds and open ladder stands.
I have to keep her on a leash in and out cause she'll run a deer like her butt is on fire.
Warden can write me a ticket IF he wants to prosecute it in Court. Cause I'll be there.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
For many hunting offences, one is effectively guilty until proven innocent because of how hard it is to catch someone in the act. The only way to prove you were not using the dog to chase bears once spotted would be a go pro video of the entire hunt.

Some of it will depend on the warden you encounter, perhaps even how his day is going. Some of it will depend on the dog breed as that changes how it looks. Some of it depends on how the local law is worded, and some on the prosecutor. In other words, it is a grey area at best, perhaps even a solid black and illegal.

They just updated the wording on it this year. The new wording sounds like you can bring your chihuahua on a bear hunt but not your blue tick at least to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
D

dboone3

Lil-Rokslider
They just updated the wording on it this year. The new wording sounds like you can bring your chihuahua on a bear hunt but not your blue tick at least to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What wording are you referring to? I have a Golden Retriever FWIW

87TT

WKR
Dog purse?
OIP.EYuMa54vbA1M7wzt510rvwHaE8

intunegp

WKR
I love my dog as much as anyone, but I don't get the purpose and default to asking why.

For me a lot of hunting is about the solitude; I know it's good to share it with loved ones and good companions but the solitude is great too. In addition to the possible legal ramifications, you're introducing more scent, more movement, and more noise into your glassing setup, minimal or not. Seems like a negative on all fronts other than having a pup sitting next to you, and I'd wager you spend more time with the doggo than hunting bears and can get your fill at other times.

OP
D

dboone3

Lil-Rokslider
I love my dog as much as anyone, but I don't get the purpose and default to asking why.

For me a lot of hunting is about the solitude; I know it's good to share it with loved ones and good companions but the solitude is great too. In addition to the possible legal ramifications, you're introducing more scent, more movement, and more noise into your glassing setup, minimal or not. Seems like a negative on all fronts other than having a pup sitting next to you, and I'd wager you spend more time with the doggo than hunting bears and can get your fill at other times.
Can't leave the dog overnight, so I can hunt more if she's with me. I recognize she's hurting me more than helping, but I want to maximize hunting time.

KurtR

WKR
Couldnt you get one of those doggie back packs and say he is a pack dog. Or get him certified as a support dog. It really is odd to me that their are so many regulations that if a guy wants to have his dog sit with him out hunting you can get a ticket. Or forget about the stinky ass bears and shoot some birds and let the dog really enjoy life.