Latest Alaska Intel fishing

WalterH

Lil-Rokslider
The Nush isn't the place to go for big kings, it has historically been the place to go for a lot of kings, relatively speaking. For big kings, the salt is probably your best best in some place like Old Harbor, Craig, etc. I think most king fisherman consider big kings as those that get to 45-50lbs or bigger. A 20lb fish on the Nush is a big one.

Rich M

WKR
So what would you guys recommend? Red, silvers?

Im also looking at 2024.

Last edited:
OP
E
The Nush isn't the place to go for big kings, it has historically been the place to go for a lot of kings, relatively speaking. For big kings, the salt is probably your best best in some place like Old Harbor, Craig, etc. I think most king fisherman consider big kings as those that get to 45-50lbs or bigger. A 20lb fish on the Nush is a big one.
Well hopefully the DNR decisions/practices can rectify the current decline however they have to. Almost has me rethinking my trip decision at this point. I'll look into the places you mentioned though, and keep doing some research. Thanks Walter.

OP
E
So what eould you guys recommend? Red, silvers?

Im also looking at 2024.
These guys have been super helpful. I'm not sure about the reds but it sounds like it's just snagging them. Not much sport in that but I also know nothing so I may be wrong haha. I'd love to know what you come up with, I'm trying to figure this out too.

Htm84

WKR
If you’re just catch and release anyway I’d think about targeting some big old rainbows. Might be able to time it right and catch some silvers also. Silvers tend to run towards August. I don’t do much rod and reel fishing for reds. I mostly just dip net them.

As far as what’s causing the kings decline who knows. Ask 10 people and you’ll get 10 different answers. I think Walter summed it up pretty well though. It’s nice to see F&G get out in front of it this year though. Usually they restrict keeping them initially then shut it all the way down mid season. Hard to run a business that depends on them that way I’d imagine. But even harder if there’s no more of them at all.

These guys have been super helpful. I'm not sure about the reds but it sounds like it's just snagging them. Not much sport in that but I also know nothing so I may be wrong haha. I'd love to know what you come up with, I'm trying to figure this out too.

OP
E
Theres a dude out of old harbor (kodiak) I think his name is Jeff and runs kodiak combos he catches some big ol kings out in the salt as well as halibut and rockfish.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Oh nice, I think I found him. I like that he gives a first responder discount. Thanks!

Rich M

WKR
Looks like halibut is closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays for 2023. Add that to no salmon fishing in some of the rivers and a lot of the "fishing packages" are gonna be a tough sell.

OP
E
Looks like halibut is closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays for 2023. Add that to no salmon fishing in some of the rivers and a lot of the "fishing packages" are gonna be a tough sell.
Yeah, I can only imagine how that is going to impact the communities that thrive off that business. I mean at least there’s always huge rainbows compared to anywhere else. The pike fishing is kinda my focus now with all that’s gone down. Maybe later I’ll get to do the king salmon once they get that figured out.

Rich M

WKR
Yeah, I can only imagine how that is going to impact the communities that thrive off that business. I mean at least there’s always huge rainbows compared to anywhere else. The pike fishing is kinda my focus now with all that’s gone down. Maybe later I’ll get to do the king salmon once they get that figured out.
The communities should do okay, there are other salmon runs in the rivers.

I’m just focusing on the gotta haves for my trip. Not planning another trip. My biggee is halibut, probably gonna plan 2 or maybe even 3 trips in case we get blown out. Its that big a deal for me. Easier to walk away from a paid $350 trip if i get what am looking for than it is to take another $10k vacation.

if you go halibut fishing and want the best chance at catching bigger fish make sure you do a halibut only trip. Typically they will anchor up for half or a little more then half of the trip and get a big chum bag going and try to get everyone a bigger sized fish, then they will hit a chicken patch on the way back to get everyone their under 28" fish. Seward, whittier and homer all have great halibut fishing. Whittier and seward you can expect to have a longer boat ride out to the good fishing grounds, homer is a further drive in the vehicle but typically your boat ride is quite a bit shorter.

grossklw

Lil-Rokslider
Everyone is pretty much spot on. My buddy runs a couple charters out of Homer. The emergency king ruling of only one/day will certainly hurt his Tuesday/Wednesday bookings with halibut not being on the menu. They're talking about cutting rockfish as well, tough sell to get someone to pay 400/day to catch 4 rockfish and 1 king. The guy that recommended silvers would be a better option if you want to bring home some fish and have a blast while doing so. Go later in the season and they'll be in Homer otherwise Seward is great too. River fishing reds is fun flossing them or just straight snagging. Not a lick of sport involved but man what a blast.

If you end up in Homer shoot me a DM on here. I own a couple short term rentals up there and can point you in the right direction for the charter as well. My buddy loves fishing halibut and would rather have a summer filled with halibut only days than mess around with anything else.