Latest Alaska Intel fishing

Looking to book a trip for me and my pops for 2024. Guided trip with lodging preferred. Target species would be king salmon. I'd like to do mainly river fishing and then one day halibut. Been scouring the web and there's a lot of options. Was hoping to get some local knowledge. Just looking to have a memorable experience and hopefully stick some big fish with my dad.

hunterjmj

WKR
If Canada wasn't such a pia the Skeena river has/had amazing fishing. My Dad took me up in the summers when I was a kid and we had a blast and caught 45-60 pound salmon every year.

If kings are important you're better off flying to Bristol bay/naknek to a lodge instead of trying to fish anything on the road system. Most if not all rivers get shut down due to low returns on the kenai pen. Fly out to the nushagak for 3 or 4 days of king fishing then fly back to anc and drive down to homer, Seward or whittier for halibut. If you are ok with trolling for kings in the salt you could do that out of any of the above mentioned port cities. Not sure what the king game is like in south east but chances are it would be trolling in the salt for them.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

As mentioned a fly out is best. There is the Deshka river Charter and Lodge but that is usually catch and release. I know they will be adding some fly out options from Willow this year so that would fit. Drive to Whittier/Seward/Homer for ocean

Last edited:

Hausser

FNG
Alaska king salmon fishing has been shut down in a lot of the Kenai and valley rivers in Alaska due to poor runs. Look at booking an ocean salmon charter. South east Alaska would be a great opportunity for salmon, halibut and even crab if open.

OP
E
And here I was looking at lodges on Kenai. Thanks for the recommendations and info about the current king salmon runs. I'll look at the places recommended. Hopefully, I can put something together soon. I might reach out to you guys again through PM if you don't mind. Really want to get it right the first time.

Catchfish

WKR
You probably won’t be able to fish for kings on the Kenai, but you will probably be able to fish down the road on the Kasilof. The run down there has been pretty good, and is enhanced with hatchery fish, normally it’s C&R on the wild fish and bonking in the hatchery fish. You may also want to come later in the year to chase silvers.

WalterH

Lil-Rokslider
For kings in the river and an awesome AK experience, go to the Nushagak. Largest run of kings in the state, though the average size is smaller than elsewhere. Wilderness setting and great options for accommodations. As others have noted, king runs in southcentral have been circling the drain for quite a while.

For kings and bottom fish in the salt, I'd look at Price of Wales Sport fishing/Rob Endsley out of Craig, AK.

VernAK

WKR
King Salmon is many areas of Alaska are functionally extinct. The Nushagak is probably the better bet but some years aren't so hot there either. I'd avoid anything near the road system or even within easy flight of Anchorage.

OP
E
For kings in the river and an awesome AK experience, go to the Nushagak. Largest run of kings in the state, though the average size is smaller than elsewhere. Wilderness setting and great options for accommodations. As others have noted, king runs in southcentral have been circling the drain for quite a while.

For kings and bottom fish in the salt, I'd look at Price of Wales Sport fishing/Rob Endsley out of Craig, AK.
Awesome, thank you. I would've had no idea based on how all the lodges make the fishing look incredible. Looks like everyone is saying the same thing which helps me narrow down the options. Thank you Walter.

OP
E
King Salmon is many areas of Alaska are functionally extinct. The Nushagak is probably the better bet but some years aren't so hot there either. I'd avoid anything near the road system or even within easy flight of Anchorage.
Noted, thanks Vern.

OP
E
Ok, I've been looking around at Nushagak at different lodges. Do you guys have any experience or knowledge of any of these outfitters that you recommend? My dad and I are not fly fishermen, grew up bass fishing so most experienced with conventional. I'm most likely going to do like 4-5 day trip out there somewhere and then a one-day halibut trip down at homer. I book marked every lodge that popped up haha, so I'll keep digging on my end. Thanks guys.

Htm84

WKR
I thought this was kinda timely.
They closed the Kenai down for kings already. Not even catch and release is allowed. Closed the salt water in Cook Inlet as well.

As others have said Bristol bay is probably the only realistic option for kings. If it was me I’d plan a trip around silvers. Fun to catch and you can keep more of them.

Attachments

• 7D954E91-CC15-4E13-A663-CF48BBD08890.jpeg
    7D954E91-CC15-4E13-A663-CF48BBD08890.jpeg
    301.4 KB · Views: 23

WalterH

Lil-Rokslider
Tough times for king fisherman in southcentral AK.

Bumper boats on the Kasilof is going to be a nightmare...

OP
E
They closed the Kenai down for kings already. Not even catch and release is allowed. Closed the salt water in Cook Inlet as well.

As others have said Bristol bay is probably the only realistic option for kings. If it was me I’d plan a trip around silvers. Fun to catch and you can keep more of them.
Yeah, I saw some people posting it on Facebook last night. Is the decline due to commercial fishing? What's the explanation for the Salmon runs declining?

OP
E

Honestly, I just want to catch big fish. I'm mainly a catch-and-release guy myself. I'll take what I can keep but maybe take less because I want the fishery to grow. But that's my perspective. I may look into the silvers more since the King Salmon runs are hurting. Thanks.

WalterH

Lil-Rokslider
Too many things killing them for too long.

Like many salmon stocks, the Kenai kings, and all southcentral AK kings for that matter, have died the death of 1,000 cuts.

1. Adult harvest in the river
2. Juvenile predation in the river
3. Ocean harvest
4. Ocean predation
5. Ocean bycatch mortality
6. Lack of food in the river
7. Lack of food in the ocean

And the list goes on.

With regard to the human factors, no one wants to admit that they are part of the problem and/or give up their "right" to do their thing the way they want to. Lots of back and forth between sport and commercial, each blaming the other. I think the truth is that is isn't one of these things, it is all of them, plus the now significant time they (we) have all been taking a chunk.

As per the most recent conversations happening at the Board of Fish, the Nushagak will now be considered a "stock of management concern." The last big king run in AK is now circling the drain as well.