DIY Saltwater Fishing Trip to Prince of Wales Island

OP
DaltonL

DaltonL

FNG
The only thing I can add, and it's not much.
I fished POW in 88,89,90. I literally do not remember much.
A good friend of mine is a guide at waterfall resort.
Mooching. That's all they do for salmon. Not traditional mooching. Plug cut herring 4oz weight. Drop to bottom, reel up. Most the salmon are caught that way.
Good to know!

OP
DaltonL

DaltonL

FNG
We went two years ago, my family of four and our friends family of four. Four kids ranged from 4-8 years old. We brought 6 50# boxes of fish back with us between both families. Getting it onto the ferry on POW wasn’t too bad but we had a bit of a rough time once the ferry got to Ketchikan. It was pouring rain and we had to get from the island ferry to the airport ferry and it isn’t too far but we couldn’t find a cab large enough for everyone and all of our fish boxes and luggage. We put the girls in a cab and all the boys walked in the pouring rain. Some local in a pickup felt bad and stopped and gave us a ride to the airport ferry. Once there we were able to get some carts and get all our stuff up the ramp to the terminal. It was kind of a shit show with four kids, 6 50# boxes of fish and all the luggage for a week long trip.

Everyone at the airport is traveling with boxes of fish so they know how to handle it.

We froze our fish and just bought some waxed cardboard boxes in Craig, no insulation. Worked great, fish still frozen when we got home later that day (Ketchikan to Seattle then Seattle to Reno).

POW is amazing. We can’t wait to go back. Fishing was nuts! Have fun!
The trip back doesn't sound like much fun but with that much fish I bet it made up for it! Thanks for the information!

OP
DaltonL

DaltonL

FNG
I heard fishing is so easy in SE even a lower 48er can do it.

The people you rented from are going to know far more then anyone here. Talk with them.

Sent from my SM-S921U using Tapatalk
I've talked to the owner but wanted to get other folks opinions as well.

I was also looking for people with experience that have done the whole trip to the island by ferries to get their insight and any tips they had for travel.

There’s a grocery store in Ketchikan that’s walking distance from the airport ferry and the AMHS ferry. Just bring an extra duffel and load up before you head to the island. I’ve always just got taxis if I have too much gear to walk around/across airport ferry. While in a Taxi, the fee to ride the ferry is covered, so it may pay for itself with a big enough group. Another option we’ve used is chartering a float plane back to Ketchikan and requesting they drop you off at the dock on the airport side.

There’s a grocery store in Ketchikan that’s walking distance from the airport ferry and the AMHS ferry. Just bring an extra duffel and load up before you head to the island. I’ve always just got taxis if I have too much gear to walk around/across airport ferry. While in a Taxi, the fee to ride the ferry is covered, so it may pay for itself with a big enough group. Another option we’ve used is chartering a float plane back to Ketchikan and requesting they drop you off at the dock on the airport side.
With a large group a charter will make for smoother “sailing”. Maybe even more economical. I believe the vehicle rental place at the Klawock airport will deliver a vehicle to other towns on the island as well.

Grew up on POW, go up about once every year if not more often. Family still lives there. Lived in Coffman for a bit. It’s changed since then though. Little store still has the same name…

Coho bite on most anything. I’d expect your king limit to be 1 or less per person by then and you’d have to buy the stamp. Maybe not worth it.
No need for skateboards with kick fins, that’s for slow speeds, you’ll likely be trolling 2 to 4 knots.
Brads cut plugs work well and save bait. I don’t expect herring will be any cheaper or more available in 2025.
You don’t need all the Washington/Oregon combat fishing nonsense to catch salmon. A weight and a herring, or a flasher and a lure or herring work just fine.
I’m of the opinion mooching is primarily done cause it keeps clients actively involved, you can catch a broad range of fish, and clients are holding the rod for the take. It works well, but I don’t think any better than trolling. It’s more fun in my opinion.

A cab from the Island ferry all the way to the airport is about $100. Worth it if you’ve got lots of luggage.

Book your return flights according to the island ferry schedule and give yourself an hour++ to get from the ferry to the airport. Ferry docks around 11am.

If your arrival in K-town is in the morning a few hours before the ferry departure (3:30pm) rent a car from Alaska car rentals and make a run to Walmart for groceries and fishing licenses ect…. They have an office not far from the ferry terminal so you can have one of the party return the car and walk back to terminal. Often we rent and pick up at the airport, drive around town and then return on the town side.

On your return trip call your cab when the ferry enters the straight. Tell them your name ect.. this will help to have a cab at the terminal for you. If the cruise ships are in cabs can be hard to come by. If you call when you disembark you’ll be waiting a while. Again, book your plane departure accordingly.

OP
DaltonL

DaltonL

FNG
Grew up on POW, go up about once every year if not more often. Family still lives there. Lived in Coffman for a bit. It’s changed since then though. Little store still has the same name…

Coho bite on most anything. I’d expect your king limit to be 1 or less per person by then and you’d have to buy the stamp. Maybe not worth it.
No need for skateboards with kick fins, that’s for slow speeds, you’ll likely be trolling 2 to 4 knots.
Brads cut plugs work well and save bait. I don’t expect herring will be any cheaper or more available in 2025.
You don’t need all the Washington/Oregon combat fishing nonsense to catch salmon. A weight and a herring, or a flasher and a lure or herring work just fine.
I’m of the opinion mooching is primarily done cause it keeps clients actively involved, you can catch a broad range of fish, and clients are holding the rod for the take. It works well, but I don’t think any better than trolling. It’s more fun in my opinion.

A cab from the Island ferry all the way to the airport is about $100. Worth it if you’ve got lots of luggage.

Book your return flights according to the island ferry schedule and give yourself an hour++ to get from the ferry to the airport. Ferry docks around 11am.

If your arrival in K-town is in the morning a few hours before the ferry departure (3:30pm) rent a car from Alaska car rentals and make a run to Walmart for groceries and fishing licenses ect…. They have an office not far from the ferry terminal so you can have one of the party return the car and walk back to terminal. Often we rent and pick up at the airport, drive around town and then return on the town side.

On your return trip call your cab when the ferry enters the straight. Tell them your name ect.. this will help to have a cab at the terminal for you. If the cruise ships are in cabs can be hard to come by. If you call when you disembark you’ll be waiting a while. Again, book your plane departure accordingly.
This is very helpful. Thanks for the tips/info.

OP
DaltonL

DaltonL

FNG
With a large group a charter will make for smoother “sailing”. Maybe even more economical. I believe the vehicle rental place at the Klawock airport will deliver a vehicle to other towns on the island as well.
I looked up the flights from the Ketchikan airport to klawock and they were ~$1000 with only 50lbs of gear per person. Are there cheaper for flights than that? That's a lot of extra money considering how cheap the ferries are. I am planning on renting a vehicle from Hollis
I looked up the flights from the Ketchikan airport to klawock and they were ~$1000 (Island Air) with only 50lbs of gear per person. Not bad on the way in but coming out im hoping we have a lot more than that with fish. That's a lot of extra money considering how cheap the ferries are. However, it would certainly simplify things. I am planning on renting a vehicle from Hollis Adventure Rentals.

OP
DaltonL

DaltonL

FNG
The duffels a great idea and I hadn't come across taking a to on the ferry before you mentioned it, even after hours of research. Looked like you could book them in advance too.

I think that’s an odd statement “while in the taxi the ferry fee is covered”.
In my experience the vehicle fee covers the driver. All passengers still pay similar to walk on. Vehicle fee is of course higher than walk on fee. If you take the taxi over, you cover the entire fee.

If……the Taxi can drop you quick and catch the return trip it’s cheaper. If the taxi has to wait 30 minutes for the next trip they tend to charge more.
I haven’t been up this year yet. Assume they are using the new terminal on the airport side by now. Maybe things have changed slightly.

When I’ve taken the taxi over it’s been a “negotiated” price. You’re not paying per the meter (do they ever charge per the meter?). You’re paying for the ferry fees, their time, and their loss of opportunity to pick up another client. Usually $100 or so will get it done. Peak cruise ship time May take a touch more.

DJ and family at Hollis rentals are good folks.

The island ferry is part of the experience. You get on and head for the galley to get a table. Eat some good breakfast, or lunch, then head out front or out back to watch for wildlife and relax.

Probably good to take a float plane at least once as well. That’s an experience worth having.

OP
DaltonL

DaltonL

FNG
I think that’s an odd statement “while in the taxi the ferry fee is covered”.
In my experience the vehicle fee covers the driver. All passengers still pay similar to walk on. Vehicle fee is of course higher than walk on fee. If you take the taxi over, you cover the entire fee.

If……the Taxi can drop you quick and catch the return trip it’s cheaper. If the taxi has to wait 30 minutes for the next trip they tend to charge more.
I haven’t been up this year yet. Assume they are using the new terminal on the airport side by now. Maybe things have changed slightly.

When I’ve taken the taxi over it’s been a “negotiated” price. You’re not paying per the meter (do they ever charge per the meter?). You’re paying for the ferry fees, their time, and their loss of opportunity to pick up another client. Usually $100 or so will get it done. Peak cruise ship time May take a touch more.

DJ and family at Hollis rentals are good folks.

The island ferry is part of the experience. You get on and head for the galley to get a table. Eat some good breakfast, or lunch, then head out front or out back to watch for wildlife and relax.

Probably good to take a float plane at least once as well. That’s an experience worth having.
That's good to know about the taxi. I looked up taxi fees on a website online and it was 25 dollars to cross from the airport to Ketchikan on a ferry with a taxi but I can't find the link right now. It also looks like Uber is an option and they can be reserved in advance.

I've been in a float plane years ago on a fly in fishing trip to Canada. We were racing a storm and just landed before the it hit. The plane took off after we unloaded our gear and set back down again just over the tree line on another lake. I guess the pilot had second thoughts. It definitely was a neat experience.

I am trying to do this trip relatively cheap that way I can go more often m which is why I'm focusing more on the ferries this time. I'm sure the first trip will be a learning experience but all this information certainly helps.

It’s a journey getting there. Lots of fun stuff to experience.
Never done Uber, usually call Sourdough.
(907) 225-5544 and have also called Yellow cab (907) 225-5555.
The cab companies seem to swap around and change hands from time to time.

No idea about the $25 taxi fee. I’ve never experienced that. If my family of 4 walked on it would cost $24 or so.