Lapua 6.5 PRC Brass

I bent over and took it from Midway today and ordered Lapua 6.5 PRC brass.

Anyone loading this brass and how many loads have you been able to get? I’ve dug deep into the big thread on Long Range Hunting forum about 6.5 PRC chambers being tight and dies not sizing brass enough.

I have been loading 1x fired Hornady brass from factory ammo I’ve been shooting. I’ve been able to get multiple loads with Hornady brass with Hornady dies and medium loads.

OP
General RE LEE
Lapua should blow the Hornady brass away

In most cases yes but with the 6.5 PRC, SAAMI specs don’t leave a lot of margin for error between the chamber size and full length sizing dies. Basically with thicker brass, after a couple firings, the dies can’t size the brass down enough to chamber properly. Hornady brass is softer so dies do a better job sizing it down to tight chambers.

The solution is to get an Alex Wheeler reamer to open up the chamber a couple thousandths. I’m trying to avoid that.

B23

WKR
FWIW, last I knew Unknown Munitions still have ADG 6.5PRC brass in stock.

axeforce6

WKR
In most cases yes but with the 6.5 PRC, SAAMI specs don’t leave a lot of margin for error between the chamber size and full length sizing dies. Basically with thicker brass, after a couple firings, the dies can’t size the brass down enough to chamber properly. Hornady brass is softer so dies do a better job sizing it down to tight chambers.

The solution is to get an Alex Wheeler reamer to open up the chamber a couple thousandths. I’m trying to avoid that.
Why, I’ve opened my chamber up in mine and all known issues with sticky brass is gone. I do have Lapua brass. But not enough firings yet on mine.

amassi

WKR

Your not going to avoid it with lapua. If your chamber has clickers with hornady brads then you've got a tight web and all brass is going to develop a clicker.
For what that lapua brass cost you you could have reamed your chamber. It isn't am expensive or time consuming job.

I usually use Lapua, ADG, or Peterson in a new rifle or new caliber as soon as I can get it after purchasing the gun. Usually. I bought my first 6.5 PRC in early 2019 along with 5 boxes of Hornady Precision Hunter ammo. I broke in the barrel and shot a bunch of rockchucks with those original 100 rounds, then began reloading. I got lucky and found a really fast and accurate load in less than 20 shots. 2 more PRC's and nearly 500 shots later, and I haven't had a brass failure yet. That's 5-6 shots at least per piece of brass. I usually view Hornady brass as unacceptable, but in the 6.5 PRC I believe it's exceptionally good. I've heard of too many problems with other brands so I've chosen to stick with Hornady on this one. When my original 100 pieces give up, I have another 100 rounds of Precision Hunter waiting. I'll be interested to see how well the Lapua brass does for you, so please update us after a dozen pieces or so have 4-5 firings on them.

Lamiller

FNG
I bent over and took it from Midway today and ordered Lapua 6.5 PRC brass.

Anyone loading this brass and how many loads have you been able to get? I’ve dug deep into the big thread on Long Range Hunting forum about 6.5 PRC chambers being tight and dies not sizing brass enough.

I have been loading 1x fired Hornady brass from factory ammo I’ve been shooting. I’ve been able to get multiple loads with Hornady brass with Hornady dies and medium loads.
Lapua brass should last a while. Depends on how hot you load but I’m going on 6 rounds and still no pressure signs.