Lapping "High end" scope rings?

SDHNTR

WKR
What I do when the receiver is way off, like on this gun, is I start with lapping only the lower halves. I get about halfway there first. Stopping to clean and taking note of the wear pattern often. Once I get to about 50-60% contact on the bottom halves, I then install the top halves and lap to 80-90% contact all around.

SDHNTR

WKR
Guessing the bottom clamps are also loose as you can see the rings (both) tilted to the left at the top, likely making them look worse.

Also i thought this thread was about “high end” rings?
Incorrect. The lower rings are not loose. They are torqued to spec.

As for the quality of the rings, unfortunately, there arent many options for a Ruger, and in my experience, the Leupold rings (these) are much better than the Ruger OEM ones. The Ruger ring mount system certainly lacks precision, but once trued up, it's as strong as anything out there. It's an integral “dovetail” with a recoil lug in each ring.

Last edited:

BULLBLASTER

Lil-Rokslider
Incorrect. The lower rings are not loose. They are torqued to spec.

As for the quality of the rings, unfortunately, there arent many options for a Ruger, and in my experience, the Leupold rings (these) are much better than the Ruger OEM ones. The Ruger ring mount system certainly lacks precision, but once trued up, it's as strong as anything out there. It's an integral dovetail with a recoil lug in each ring.
I stand corrected. The way the clamp is rotated makes it look like the rings are not seated. Guess the clamp rotated with torque